Contribute your computing resources to fight COVID-19

2»

Comments

• edited September 2020

@AnthonySmith said:
    I hope it goes without saying but I will say it anyway, don’t run any folding on a VPS, ever.

OK, I'll bite! ;) If you're hinting at the fact that it's forbidden on LES NAT VPS, there was already a warning inside this thread...
    BUT! as a broad generalization, allow me to disagree :>:>:>

For example, there are 'regular' VPS like Vultr that do not explicitly forbid these kinds of things, but instead they say they'd throttle you, I believe the same would be the case with AWS Lightsail (since de facto it's t2/t3 instances that would behave precisely like that if launched as 'proper' EC2). And then, there are those (rare?) instances of "premium" VPS with dedicated cores (which obviously cost more vs. the standard shared-cores edition) where you're allowed to mine/fold without any restrictions, example: Hetzner

Nonetheless, I agree there it might be risky if it's not your private dedicated server, and it's definitely better to be safe than sorry and double check with your provider ^^'! (esp. if their ToS concerning CPU usage are somewhat ambiguous, like in the case of DO)

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

Sorry @chimichurri I should have made myself more clear.

No one is saying that you physically can't do it but:

A. it is a dick move, it's like taking a public bus putting a blindfold on and stretching your legs over 4 seats and its only a matter of time before the driver throws you off the bus.

B. Even if you can in the event of being throttled the throttling is going to make it completely pointless, you can travel 10 miles on a 3 wheeled skateboard, but it would be beyond stupid to do so.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• edited September 2020

A: Fair enough!

B: I agree 100% that it's suboptimal, but (forgive me for my sticklerish nature ;) ) even if the VPS were to be throttled, assuming it would have been an otherwise idle instance, I still think that making your (existing, fully prepaid & completely idling) server travel those 10 miles on a skateboard isn't completely pointless :) (since it's a just cause*)

*inb4: I'm one of those people really paranoid about COVID, and this folding stuff is the probably the only meaningful thing apart from social distancing that I'm able to contribute (if you will) to society right now... OTL

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@chimichurri said: B: I agree 100% that it's suboptimal, but (forgive me my sticklerish nature even if the VPS were to be throttled, assuming it would have been an otherwise idle instance, I still think that making your (existing, fully prepaid & completely idling) server travel those 10 miles on a skateboard isn't completely pointless (since it's a just cause*)

It is still a shared resource environment if everyone used their idle threads/iops you would see VPS prices go through the roof.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• edited October 2020

I wasn't able to find neither Folding@Home nor BOINC for Android/iOS, but apparently there is this something similar - an app called Dreamlab - you can use while charging your phone/tablet during the night: https://www.standard.co.uk/tech/coronavirus-research-app-vodafone-dreamlab-a4409806.html

• BOINC for Android is available here. For iOS there is an outstanding issue with iOS's handling of background processes. More details here.

• @sonic said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@sonic said:
    If you want to earn extra bucks, you can also try with https://arkfah.com
    They pay crypto currency to folders up to 100$/week.

I hope it goes without saying but I will say it anyway, don’t run any folding on a VPS, ever.

I run from my PC with 3070 GPU and earn up to25$/week in cryptocurrency named ARK (ark.io).

Hey that's pretty interesting. If you are interested in providing a dedicated for scientific research and earn extra income from your GPU system then there's this platform that I recently tried out with my 2080Ti. It's Q Blocks GPU computing platform.

Earnings are decent and I received regular payouts. Wouldn't shy away from recommending it to you if you are looking for something like this.