PHP Friends Special: 2 cores, 10GB RAM, 80 GB SSD, 1 Gbit/s for 6,50€/month

2»

Comments

• @sonic said:

@iandk said:
    I'm not really happy with the VM, it feels pretty slow overall.
    Especially the IO and CPU performance.

My 3$ Hetzner Cloud VM is much faster.

You right! I made a bad decision when going with this provider. Leaving it idle until expired.

Me too, really disappointed!

• edited April 2020

@Chalipa said:

@sonic said:

@iandk said:
    I'm not really happy with the VM, it feels pretty slow overall.
    Especially the IO and CPU performance.

My 3$ Hetzner Cloud VM is much faster.

You right! I made a bad decision when going with this provider. Leaving it idle until expired.

Me too, really disappointed!

Guys, I understand, but at the same time, bear in mind that this is older-generation equipment. I think that this offer is/was comparable to their offer at the end of October ( their "Schnupperspecial": https://php-friends.de/vserver-ssd/vserver-schnupperspecial-2019-ssd-g2 ). You get an older-generation VPS with very decent specs for a very decent price. No, it's not a Xeon Gold, nor is it NVMe, but these wouldn't have been offered at this price.

(In any case, the offer is now over!)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• iandkiandk Hosting ProviderOG

Their new monthly pricing is pretty uninteresting in my opinion.
    They should also add a smaller model, with something like 4GB RAM

AMD EPYC / NVMe / 10GBPs KVM in Frankfurt - https://v6node.com
    Looking for an unbeatable AMD EPYC Baremetal Server in Frankfurt? Drop me a PM

• mobilemobile Retired

Yeah, keep asking for stupid prices and get hostdoc'd all over again

Thank you for this useful contribution

• I'm surprised people are complaining about this, since it got good reports on the other forum, and is comparably priced and spec'd to a similar Netcup product that is well regarded, I think. I might be confused though. 10GB of ram is a lot.

Sure, but I'm missing a smaller vps in their lineup.
    Not everyone need's that amount of RAM.

• Well, the complaint about this vps is slow cpu and i/o. That's the part that I was a bit surprised by. Though yeah, 10gb of ram etc. at 6.5e/m is hard to expect much from.

• @willie said:
    Well, the complaint about this vps is slow cpu and i/o. That's the part that I was a bit surprised by. Though yeah, 10gb of ram etc. at 6.5e/m is hard to expect much from.

The problem is that people are suddenly no longer content with an Intel Xeon E5-2630 v3 / v4. They want a Xeon Gold, or if possible, a Ryzen or Epyc. And they want this at a bargain price.

In addition, plain SSD is no longer good enough -- everyone wants NVMe. And at a bargain price.

I have PHP-Friends' Schnupperspecial (from October; I gave the old link above), and beyond a couple of network incidents, I've been very pleased with it.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• @angstrom said:
    I have PHP-Friends' Schnupperspecial (from October; I gave the old link above), and beyond a couple of network incidents, I've been very pleased with it.

Me too, it’s one of the most consistent vm’s I’ve got. Rock solid. I’ve had some problems with it though, low IO and lots of steal time. Sent them an email and Tim migrated me to another server. Problem solved. Probably some very noisy neighbors on my first node.

I think most people don’t realize that those Ryzen ‘fair share’ cpu with high clock speeds, NVMe and a bit of RAM cater a different part of the market. Especially when the provider offers them on leased hardware. Looks good on benches though.

Thanked by (1)angstrom
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited April 2020

@angstrom said:

@willie said:
    Well, the complaint about this vps is slow cpu and i/o. That's the part that I was a bit surprised by. Though yeah, 10gb of ram etc. at 6.5e/m is hard to expect much from.

The problem is that people are suddenly no longer content with an Intel Xeon E5-2630 v3 / v4. They want a Xeon Gold, or if possible, a Ryzen or Epyc. And they want this at a bargain price.

In addition, plain SSD is no longer good enough -- everyone wants NVMe. And at a bargain price.

The moment when 80% of these people will find out that they'd be just fine with a normal SSD and that good old E5 :)

My last VPS was a NAT VPS and I could still do a lot on it. That E5 can't be so bad, really. But that LE spirit kinda got lost along the way I fear. Well, it was kept for budget prices but that's it.

Thanked by (2)angstrom vimalware
  • I see, the Netcup root servers use Xeon Gold 6140/6230, though I wonder how much real speed difference there is from the E5 v3/v4 for most apps. The cpu frequency is similar.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

Got the schnupperspecial which is excellent for the price.

Problem with CPU is that it's not really dedicated. Compute power drops over time as it gets more crowded. So it's more like unlimited boost use.

I/O wise the node I'm on has been consistently superb.

In my experience with various Gold vpses the I/O seem to be much better.

However all pale in comparison with new ryzens/epycs.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.