Anyone tested EasyEngine?

flipsflips OG
edited December 2019 in Technical

Just stumbled upon https://easyengine.io/
I was looking to see if there's some small scripts etc. available, like centminmod or even leaner, for Debian, for setting up nice defaults for web server and database and easily adding vhosts, etc.

EasyEngine looks interesting, but I'm always a bit cautious when it comes to scripts to be downloaded and piped to a root shell.
I might just look at the source and see what it does ... :)

Maybe any of you are using EasyEngine?
(Or tried and dropped it? If so, why?) B)

Easy Engine?
  1. Good or bad potassium?24 votes
    1. Bad!
      12.50%
    2. Superb!
        8.33%
    3. Somewhere in between
      25.00%
    4. Where's the coffee? :)
      54.17%
Tagged:

Comments

• Try webinoly.com or wordops.net, both derived from Easyengine with some improvements and advantages

• WSSWSS OGRetired
    edited December 2019

@flips said:
    leaner, for Debian, for setting up nice defaults

Debian has this. It's called the "Debian Apache Defaults"

@vserver:~$ ls -1 /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/  | wc -l

It's a bit weird to initially get used to but after you setup NameBased Vhosts as your primary 0_config, you can basically pipe everything else through sed with a flat template to add new hosts and don't have the overhead of a possibly buggy panel.

Of course, you'll probably want to semi-automate this with ansible or something to setup new records for the external nameservers and so forth as well.

The biggest problem is once Debian's Apache configuration makes sense, everything else is just obnoxious to deal with.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited December 2019

Had used it in the past for a couple of weeks- mainly to play around with. Not sure if I would host a production site on EasyEngine- the installation, and configuration is super easy, but the paths for WP are different. Also, docker may not be everyone's vehicle of choice. Two easyengine installs on 2 different servers/ configurations, both running Debian9, broke once I upgraded to Debian 10, that might have been fixed by now. Some things might have improved, and all need not be bead. A DIY install from a tutorial on DigitalOcean or similar is what I would use.

Thanked by (1)flips
  • flipsflips OG
    edited December 2019

@WSS said: Debian has this. It's called the "Debian Apache Defaults"

Ah, yes, I like the Debian way of a2ensite/a2enmod etc. :)
    My main interest in a script like this would be if it provides better defaults for optimization of mariadb, nginx settings etc.
    (I'm not convinced there is much to gain. But I'm not very familiar with tweaking mariadb and nginx/proxy/caching stuff.)

The biggest problem is once Debian's Apache configuration makes sense, everything else is just obnoxious to deal with.

Not sure I got this. Care to elaborate? :)

@vyas said: A DIY install from a tutorial on DigitalOcean or similar is what I would use.

Thanks. That's what I have been doing for years :) Just exploring/checking if I'm missing out on something smart. :)

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@flips said:
    (I'm not convinced there is much to gain. But I'm not very familiar with tweaking mariadb and nginx/proxy/caching stuff.)

Then although I question his choice of a distribution, the sometimes-resident developer centminmod is beyond sperglevels of getting every last ounce out of that bloated distribution.

Thanked by (2)flips casadebamburojo

• @WSS said:

@flips said:

Then although I question his choice of a distribution, the sometimes-resident developer centminmod is beyond sperglevels of getting every last ounce out of that bloated distribution.

Since I found this easyengine script by searching for centminmod for Debian, I guess I should just study his config files.
    (I don't really want to build from source and maintain many PHP versions etc.) :)

Thanked by (1)WSS
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

debminmod in the hizzay!

Thanked by (1)flips

• Easyengine is great when it works but sometimes it doesn't work... I think there were some issues with the newer debians, and at some point easyengine moved on to using docker. Sometimes your site could break due to server updates or easyengine updates, and I had some difficulties auto renewing letsencrypt on easyengine. Who knows, maybe it was docker messing with me or just myself setting up cron wrongly? Also if you need some php modules that are not vanilla on easyengine, you probably have to reinstall them everytime you update easyengine.

It's worth using since it saves time having to configure a stack yourself, but be prepared to have to get your hands dirty to maintain your site -- unless of course you don't update anything and never have to worry about things breaking.

• @isunbejo said:
    Try webinoly.com or wordops.net, both derived from Easyengine with some improvements and advantages

Wordops has come a long way, great for quick installs and has functional stack. Just installed this evening and no issues

• +1 for wordops

• I did install wordops on a VPS for testing.

How easy is it to keep everything patched/updated using cron/systemd timer?
    (According to the poll, I could just get some coffee, instead of installing EasyEngine.) ;)

And on a side note: When/in what scenario(s) is it preferred to use redis with Wordpress?

• masedimasedi OG
    edited December 2019

Give my shit a try, https://github.com/joglomedia/LEMPer

I have not tested it on Debian, but it should works as expected

Thanked by (1)flips

LEMPer is yet another LEMP stack installer (plus cli-based LEMP stack management tool).
    Start your LEMP stack on the reliable cloud VPS instance starting only from around $5/mo.

• I actually think oneinstack is better than these options but it is maintained by Chinese. Centminmod is also a great option if you guys are okay with centos.

@flips said: When/in what scenario(s) is it preferred to use redis with Wordpress?

I think when your site is such a resource hog that horizontal scaling is viable, redis could be great. Redis is great even if you only have one server, but redis requires proper configuration and may not be worth the effort since there are other options that perform similarly and are much easier to configure.

(I believe some of these stacks mentioned in this thread have built-in redis, but don't count on them to work out of the box in all cases)

• VossVoss OG
    edited December 2019

It worked fine for me when I used it, but the problem is that every similar service has its own path directory for directories that shouldn't be messed with. This increases stress as you are dependent on that service provider to have:
    1) A decent FAQ section
    2) Forum where people have posted about similar problems

You end up becoming more familiar with the service provider's set up vs. the actual software you are running.

TL;DR I liked using it, but it encouraged dependence and lack of learning.

• I came from Google and wondering: Why Debian, and not Ubuntu? Ubuntu is the same with easier packages anyway.

2nd is why do people complain about root scripts for LEMP install, I think all have this. Many complain on Reddit too, but I still do not understand why people scared about this. You trust web host with private scripts, but not open source script?

3rd.... is wow @WSS I never knew for many years about Debian default for Apache. I guess Ubuntu doesn't have this? Anyway I hate Apache after switch to Nginx some years ago already. Htaccess is just a nightmare really.

4th is Docker and containers will always be nightmare for small teams, no reason to use for single person team. Esp. if you don't wanna go study about Docker and learn new bloated system.

5th is... why don't you mention SlickStack for people who hate dependency and patching updates? All of the scripts is just Bash and automatically update every day (optional). So you can just run sudo apt update && upgrade if you prefer, or ss-update script.

6th is Redis is over--rated. For page cache esp. can have many problems, just use Nginx Fastcgi cache. But if you mean about object cache you can use Memcached (simple) or Redis (advanced), or both together.

...but Easyengine is the flagship, they have respect forever, IMO

• Could be larger discussions, @vico, but in brief:

Ubuntu is Debian with some opinionated choices, addons and sugar. Debian is more plain, and in my experience there's nothing as stable for major version upgrades as Debian and APT. Ubuntu introduces a few more issues to be aware of between their major version upgrades.

Root scripts vs packages: Package repositories have packages that are signed and with a verifiable testing and deploying procedure.
    With most root scripts you have much less control. (Most people don't read through the script, and probably does not checksum the downloaded script.) Not sure I got the part about trusting web host with private scripts.

Apache should be quite similar on Ubuntu and Debian. And Nginx should also come with a debianized directory structure in /etc, if I recall correctly.

I never heard of SlickStack. I'd prefer a system that utilizes apt/dpkg and keep an easy file structure for the content it manages over a system that compiles a lot or pulls in lots of 3rd party stuff outside the package system.

WordOps was nice in many ways, but cleaning up after it, I found it a bit too messy.
    (Well, if I had known all options while installing, instead of using quickstart stuff from their website, most of the fluff/stuff I didn't want, wouldn't have been pulled in, but still the file structure and everything could have been simpler, IMO.)

:)

Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • @flips Thanks I never heard that Debian is more stable for major upgrades, so I will take your word about that.

About root script I dont know about WordOps but SlickStack is just tells Ubuntu to install packages (no PPA or third party compiling). I mean you still must use root user to run wget -O ss slick.fyi && bash ss but you can see in GitHub what is doing.

You are right Nginx is there /etc/nginx for Ubuntu but I don't know Debian package.

Yes about SlickStack just using the existing apt/dpkg only. It is just a bunch of Bash scripts in /var/www and then your Wordpress will be installed to /var/www/html directory so no hunting around >> http://mirrors.slickstack.io

Anyway I agree why hack the directory structure and packages when Ubuntu/Debian is master about that already. Just trusting their package management and logical directory is making everything easy, and without any containers. I hate that containers like Bitnami will make everything in some massive subdirectory of /opt/ and you must rely only on their documentation.

You can delete SS scripts if you want, all your Ubuntu stack will still be fine. Only thing is that SS will modify the root crontab so if you delete the scripts then also be sure to update root crontab also or it will self-healing the scripts....

Thanked by (1)flips
  • Imo it is superb, because it is docker. Many people in LET/S don't like docker, I think =)

No issues so far, but just using it for WordPress and letsencrypt. I prefer it than centminmod, because docker is more clean than self compile. Maybe every people has their own definition of clean.

No offense for centminmod. It is also superb script to optimize installation. I just prefer easyengine for the architecture :)

• I dont like docker, so since EE4 is dockerized I move to Webinoly, pretty good performance and not space hungry..

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited August 2020

Update since my post in December...

Webinoly is awesome. Ran a couple of Wp sites well on Tinykvm 256 MB ram, 7GB disk.. and also on the $7/yr VPsDime OVZ.
    Also read about open litespeed based cli installer similar lines as webinoly. Might try that next

Thanked by (1)jureve
  • Webinoly is on my list of things to check out. :) (And SlickStack.)
    Any such thingie utilizing Lighty (lighttpd) instead? :)

• Centminmod is better than webinoly at least in the tests of @eva2000. I am using it no complaints

Dentistry is my passion

• @Chievo said:
    Centminmod is better than webinoly at least in the tests of @eva2000. I am using it no complaints

But ... Debian? :p

• @flips said:

@Chievo said:
    Centminmod is better than webinoly at least in the tests of @eva2000. I am using it no complaints

But ... Debian? :p

Oops my fault sorry :(

Dentistry is my passion

• flipsflips OG
    edited August 2020

@Chievo said: Oops my fault sorry

:# Suggesting otherwise is not an offence that serious ... =)
    I could actually live quite well with CentOS/RHEL etc for the most part, as well. But major version upgrades are a real PITA and unsupported on most other distros than Debian. :)

Hm, user eva2000: User not found. :p

Thanked by (1)Chievo
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited August 2020

@flips said:

Hm, user eva2000: User not found. :p

Look at OGF

Coming back to topic,
    Cloudpanel (cloudpanel. io) is looking good. Needs some manual intervention- LE SSL, DB and WP/Drupal, Laravel, etc. install.. but easy to use How To's.

Cloudron also offers options beyond WP- something to take a peek at.

• cloudpanel's too beta, but does an OK job. Slick...stack's developer I heard and seen from the way he comments on fb, is a douche...

• @Muffin said:
    cloudpanel's too beta, but does an OK job. Slick...stack's developer I heard and seen from the way he comments on fb, is a douche...

well really if you are afraid of douche guys you probably should not be using Wordpress, or Linux also mate

And nothing is more douche than insulting the open source software developers while you demand free help from them on social media behind your anonymous profiles and never donate $$$, think about it bro