mikhomikho AdministratorOG

I’ve thinking once or twice on where to redirect questions/support tickets when billing panel is unreachable.

This post ( https://talk.lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/11117/#Comment_11117 ) made me wonder if discord is the way to go or if Twitter is ”good enough”?

Perhaps something else? What would your preferred way to get in touch if something happened?

Please refrain from answering with forum and PM as a way of contact.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

Comments

• SolaireSolaire OG
    edited December 2019

Plain old email. Twitter is mostly public and Discord is a pain to navigate between messages and servers. Plus everyone has email, few have Twitter and Discord handles.

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@Solaire said:
    Plain old email. Twitter is mostly public and Discord is a pain to navigate between messages and servers. Plus everyone has email, few have Twitter and Discord handles.

I’ve had a few bounces when it comes to email and there is always the few that makes their voice heard about ”not getting the email”.

Thanked by (2)Solaire Asim

• @mikho said:

@Solaire said:

I’ve had a few bounces when it comes to email and there is always the few that makes their voice heard about ”not getting the email”.

I get that but when it comes to numbers even with bouncing email you have a much larger audience with email as a means of communication. Worst case, if email bounces, you pop a ticket as soon as the billing panel is back up.

• This happened to me just now,
    https://talk.lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/11127/#Comment_11127

Put a nice announcement on the website. Email if there would be a down time.
    Please use a decent Live Chat solution.
    Don't make me register on things like Discord(I don't think anyone apart from kids use it)

Use Twitter as a last resort when your billing panel and main website are both unreachable.

Thanked by (1)vimalware

@gamermaxmail42 said:
    This happened to me just now,
    https://talk.lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/11127/#Comment_11127

Put a nice announcement on the website. Email if there would be a down time.
    Please use a decent Live Chat solution.
    Don't make me register on things like Discord(I don't think anyone apart from kids use it)

Use Twitter as a last resort when your billing panel and main website are both unreachable.

Live chat will never happen if have something to say about my business :)

Personally I’m not fond of Discord/irc/live chats. I would use it for casual chat, not business related.

Might setup a status page where announcements regarding outages could be posted.

Thanked by (1)vimalware

• @mikho I am glad you are thinking about all of these scenarios.

• @mikho said: I’ve thinking once or twice on where to redirect questions/support tickets when billing panel is unreachable.

Hm, MXRoute uses Rocket.chat, works well, but the charm there is that it uses OAuth or something from WHMCS, IIRC, so if if the panel is down, that doesn't help too much for those who are not already authenticated with the chat server ...

I watch both RSS and Twitter feeds, but usually there's quite a few people who misses announcements in channels like that. :/

@mikho said: Please refrain from answering with forum and PM as a way of contact.

Hm, good to know. I might have communicated something through PM's here that should have gone in a ticket. :s
    (You might want to change the "http://forum.lowendspirit.com Support using" in your ordering system, BTW.
    Maybe that's exactly what you're working on ... ;))

Thanked by (1)mikho
  • Discord is cancer. I can check Twitter messages via browser even without having a twitter account. Discord is cancer.

Thanked by (4)mikho jureve Unixfy Gien

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

NEVER DISCORD. NEVER.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• What @WSS said.

Thanked by (2)mikho PureVoltage

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited December 2019

It's meant for changelogs but for pushing important notifications could work just the same: https://headwayapp.co/

Although I use Discord, it feels crowded with channels (I have joined like 80 and I hate the fact) so I wouldn't use it as an emergency status page. I think Twitter wouldn't even be bad if just for notifying. I have often enough found myself not replying to tweets since I don't have a Twitter account and cba to create one but just for reading announcements..why not?

Thanked by (1)mikho

@flips said:

@mikho said: I’ve thinking once or twice on where to redirect questions/support tickets when billing panel is unreachable.

Hm, MXRoute uses Rocket.chat, works well, but the charm there is that it uses OAuth or something from WHMCS, IIRC, so if if the panel is down, that doesn't help too much for those who are not already authenticated with the chat server ...

That is, if it can be cached in some way to authenticate without actually saving the real information.

@flips said:

@mikho said: Please refrain from answering with forum and PM as a way of contact.

Hm, good to know. I might have communicated something through PM's here that should have gone in a ticket. :s

Well, I would answer but it might not be the first place where I would look.
    Example: I still get a couple of PM on LET, with the broken email notification, I never know that there is a PM waiting for me.

@flips said:
    (You might want to change the "http://forum.lowendspirit.com Support using" in your ordering system, BTW.
    Maybe that's exactly what you're working on ... ;))

You got me ;)
    As the ”old” LES is moving into another direction as the community support that it used to be, I am looking for alternatives.
    I will still suggest all customers to sign up here as this place will answer most commonly asked questions.

Thanked by (1)flips

• FHRFHR Hosting ProviderOG

A status page, hosted by a 3rd party (or on a 3rd party's infrastructure) helps.

Thanked by (1)FlamingSpaceJunk

SkylonHost.com High Bandwidth European Cloud KVM | AS202297

• @FHR said:
    A status page, hosted by a 3rd party (or on a 3rd party's infrastructure) helps.

On a different domain (ei not a subdomain) like some providers do, adds to more things that need to go wrong to be completely down.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

Email and another medium so those email bouncers can have external reference

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• Twitter

• FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

@mikho said: This post ( https://talk.lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/11117/#Comment_11117 ) made me wonder if discord is the way to go or if Twitter is ”good enough”?

Honestly we seem to have better reach use Discord or email than Twitter.

The upgrade itself was done in around 10 minutes. We took snapshots of both the SQL and webservers, applied the update, logged in. Its only once we did our final check overs did we see that things weren't lining up.

It extending as far as it did was me trying to figure out what was going on and hoping I could salvage things. It didn't work out so we simply rolled back the snapshots.

Francisco

Thanked by (2)mikho Ympker
  • The billing panel can be offiline, but barring a few exceptions, you will be able to display a status message in the first place where I would go if I need your help. Email is absolutely required too, if I need to contact you.

Twitter and other social networks can be used as important communication channels, but not exclusively.

I only find Discord reasonable as a primary communication method if you are selling Minecraft servers.

Thanked by (2)skorous mikho
  • Email. If I had to join discord for stuff like from a provider I'd probably move elsewhere.

Thanked by (3)mikho WSS joepie91
  • tgltgl OG
    edited December 2019

keep it simple, use twitter, everybody knows about it, you can also post marketing stuff there

nobody is gonna install any tool or use some service just to wait for your 3 messages a year about outages, trust me on that, not to mention that this panel down issue will likely never happen

Thanked by (1)mikho

@tgl said:
    not to mention that this panel down issue will likely never happen

Oh, trust me.... it has happened. More than once during my years as a provider.

• @mikho said:

@tgl said:

set up a docker swarm or some kind of HA for the panel, in this way it will never die, you have the servers so its not an extra cost, the extra cost would be the anycast ip, but I think @AnthonySmith has some friend that can help you with a discount, I forgot the provider name

@tgl said:

@mikho said:

@tgl said:

set up a docker swarm or some kind of HA for the panel, in this way it will never die, you have the servers so its not an extra cost, the extra cost would be the anycast ip, but I think @AnthonySmith has some friend that can help you with a discount, I forgot the provider name

The problem is not the technology. It’s my time. :)
    I have two jobs and this ”hobby”.

• Email should be primary, with a backup status page?

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@poisson said:
    Email should be primary, with a backup status page?

Sending 20,000 emails to 50% free email accounts (gmail etc) cant be primary because it takes too long :)

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@mikho said:

@tgl said:

@mikho said:

@tgl said:

Did you give https://headwayapp.co a try? :)

@Ympker said:

@mikho said:

@tgl said:

@mikho said:

@tgl said:

Did you give https://headwayapp.co a try? :)

Will take a closer look after family left the christmas dinners. (Three intense days with family I usually don’t socialize with that much).

If I’m not checking in an Asylum, I will take a look.

Theres also a couple of status pages on my list.
    http://staytus.co/ Being one of them.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• WSSWSS OGRetired

Ya know, you can always setup a github based page if nothing else..

@WSS said:
    Ya know, you can always setup a github based page if nothing else..

I hope that with one of the existing status page alternatives, I could automate the status from my monitoring.

Node goes down, status page is updated.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@mikho said:
    Node goes down, status page is updated.

Well, there's always Hetrix. That's all I use but I don't do anything with the hook beyond notifications, because my tiny little system is pretty much a one-person operation, so I don't need to alert others. I might play with this later, but it sends JSON data you can parse and do similarly with, even updating a static page.