WANTED: Dedicated server with iGPU

124»

Comments

• This is a weird server. Hardware acceleration won't kick in unlike my other server with exactly the same CPU/iGPU. Exactly same OS version and and kernel driver installed.

It also won't reboot cleanly on it's own - if I reboot from the terminal, it never comes back up. If I reboot from the control panel it takes longer than you might expect, but it comes up fine.

I also keep getting alerts from Ikoula saying SSH is unavailable, most of which happen when I'm connected via SSH and everything is working fine.

It's feeling a little bit janky....

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero
  • Sounds like it is a lot of jankiness instead of a little.

Thanked by (2)Nekki ralf

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• LetMeBeSadLetMeBeSad Hosting ProviderOG

You might needed to grab our dedi deal (still avaliable).

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero

Spaceberg.cc - Your favorite Seedbox provider!

• @LetMeBeSad said:
    You might needed to grab our dedi deal (still avaliable).

Out of budget unfortunately. I'm consolidating to save money, not spend more.

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero
  • @Nekki did you enabled igpu?

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero
  • @Hxxx said:
    @Nekki did you enabled igpu?

It was enabled on delivery as far as I can tell.

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero
  • @Nekki said:

@Hxxx said:

Does it show the igpu in the OS? As for jank, that's just how Ikoula works. Everything runs mostly alright once you get it set up, the setup process is just annoying. Quite a bit like OVH lol

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero
  • @fluttershy said:

@Nekki said:

@Hxxx said:

Does it show the igpu in the OS? As for jank, that's just how Ikoula works. Everything runs mostly alright once you get it set up, the setup process is just annoying. Quite a bit like OVH lol

lspci | grep ' VGA ' 
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)

intel_gpu_frequency
    cur: 200 MHz
    min: 200 MHz
    RP1: 350 MHz
    max: 1150 MHz

I've never had any issues with OVH aside from crap upload and terrible support. The servers run fine and shockingly, actually reboot cleanly.

• @Nekki said:

@fluttershy said:

@Nekki said:

@Hxxx said:

lspci | grep ' VGA ' 
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)

intel_gpu_frequency

I've never had any issues with OVH aside from crap upload and terrible support. The servers run fine and shockingly, actually reboot cleanly.

Does it come with ipmi? Mabey check the bios settings to figure if there is something additionally needed (iommu?)

• @Nekki said:

@fluttershy said:

@Nekki said:

@Hxxx said:

lspci | grep ' VGA ' 

intel_gpu_frequency

I think my KS-LE has been down twice every day of this week. Some of the worst uptime I've seen, and I have services that are practically run out of someone's basement.

• NekkiNekki OG
    edited December 2022

@Falzo said:

@Nekki said:

@fluttershy said:

@Nekki said:

@Hxxx said:

lspci | grep ' VGA ' 

intel_gpu_frequency

Does it come with ipmi? Mabey check the bios settings to figure if there is something additionally needed (iommu?)

I don’t believe it does, but I’ll confirm this evening. In the meantime I pulled in glmark2 from Debian testing and ran that - strangely the Ikoula server benchmarks 40 points better than the Terrahost server that performs considerably better in real-world testing, so I don’t know what to think. I feel like I’ve misconfigured something somewhere, but I’m not sure where.

• @fluttershy said:

@Nekki said:

@fluttershy said:

@Nekki said:

@Hxxx said:

lspci | grep ' VGA ' 

intel_gpu_frequency

I think my KS-LE has been down twice every day of this week. Some of the worst uptime I've seen, and I have services that are practically run out of someone's basement.

Sounds like I got out at the right time. My KS-LE never game me a moment’s grief.

• I'm still going to defend OVH. In 9.5 years, I didn't have a single power outage or reboot that I didn't initiate myself. My KS-LE-1 has so far only been just over 12 months, but likewise it's never exhibited any unexpected outages.

• Ikoula is officially dead to me. This server is maximum jank.

Thanked by (2)AuroraZero ralf
  • @Nekki said:
    Ikoula is officially dead to me. This server is maximum jank.

ask replacement?

• @Hxxx said:

@Nekki said:

ask replacement?

It's all servers at them.

Thanked by (2)AuroraZero Nekki
  • @Hxxx said:

@Nekki said:

ask replacement?

Nah, not wasting any more hard-earned.

Thanked by (2)AuroraZero webcraft
  • HxxxHxxx OG
    edited December 2022

I dont remember the servers being janky like you describe. Maybe things changed. Sorry that it didn't worked out.

• Have you tried an mtr to see if route is losing packages?

• @Hxxx said:
    I dont remember the servers being janky like you describe. Maybe things changed. Sorry that it didn't worked out.

It is what it is, I’d heard plenty of negative comments to deviously but I thought ‘how bad can a dedi be?’. I can afford to chance £18 if it’s going to potentially save £150ish/year anyway, but I’m not going to throw more money at it and see if things might get better - it’s not worth the time from my perspective.

I’m working on other options.

• @Hxxx said:
    Have you tried an mtr to see if route is losing packages?

Very little packet loss on my end, maybe 2% over 10 minutes? Latency can fluctuate wildly at times though.

Thanked by (1)Hxxx
  • @Nekki said:

@Hxxx said:
    Have you tried an mtr to see if route is losing packages?

Very little packet loss on my end, maybe 2% over 10 minutes? Latency can fluctuate wildly at times though.

Ikoula routes most of their traffic through Cogent, so there’s your problem with that.

Thanked by (1)Nekki