Your favorite distro?

2»

Comments

• edited January 2020

@havoc said:
    Alpine is irritating me frankly because it's taking this too far.
    Cutting usability to save megabytes just doesn't work for me in an era where a 16gb vps is LES compliant

>

Alpine was never meant to be a full server distro. It was originally a router or firewall distro, like OpenWRT, and it was supposed to run from a readonly system image with data and configs in a writeable overlay partition. That's still it's basic mission, so there is a reason for the minimalism.

It just so happens that a bare-bones distro without lots of junk sitting around or lots of automagic happening is pretty nice. How much human comfort do you really need to host a service?

Thanked by (2)WSS uptime
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

@havoc said:
    LOL no 16 ramses not hdd

Still a bit low for CentOS 7.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

@FlamingSpaceJunk said: How much human comfort do you really need to host a service?

Uhm. Have all da things.

Nah I guess Alpine is just irritating me cause docker and not used to non Ubuntu stuff.

I get the thinking and understand that I'm in the wrong (if deployed at scale) but at the learning stage the bare bones approach is irritating me

• Favorite?

What we use every single day of our lives, are, Debian > Kali > Astra Smolensk 1.6.

Definitely would not call any of them 'favorite' though.

• @havoc said:
    Nah I guess Alpine is just irritating me cause docker and not used to non Ubuntu stuff.

I get the thinking and understand that I'm in the wrong (if deployed at scale) but at the learning stage the bare bones approach is irritating me

Ah, yeah. It's a little odd switching to new distros or operating systems, especially from one of the big 3 who round off the edges.

I'm old enough to remember when this was more normal, and I also remember it took me a few tries to really get into Unix-like OSes.

• Debian if I have the choice. CentOS if I have no choice.

Thanked by (1)poisson

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• Debian mostly, then variables like Ubuntu, Mint etc. Centos when needed for certain tasks or software.

• If a program actually fits in memory and has enough disk space, it is guaranteed to crash.
    • If such a program has not crashed yet, it is waiting for a critical moment before it crashes.

• CentOS - Basic start for me for personal servers which are meant to 'setup, run and forget' and for job related tasks
    Fedora - For my desktops because it works, is similar in many ways to the CentOS/RHEL (again job), and I am in the group that like Gnome Shell and it always seems to be doing better in Fedora than in other distros that I try with full GUI
    Debian - For development and such, I actually started with it years ago. Very often what is hard to complete in CentOS or Fedora is just plain easy to do in Debian (I wish the other two had so much stuff as debian official respositories without the need to use 3rd party repos).

• FreeBSD or Debian preferred. Fedora or Centos when I have to.

Thanked by (1)FlamingSpaceJunk
  • edited January 2020

My favorite Linux distro is Windows XP SP2.
    It falls under the GNU GPL/BSD license, if torrented properly.
    Computers are just weak heaters, in winter.
    Laptops are no different than toasters.
    Pissing towards the wind keeps the balls well moisturized.
    Warranty is lifetime, it works until it stops working.

Thanked by (1)WSS
  • I've tried Centos 6 & 7, Debian 8, 9 & 10, and Ubuntu 18.

Among the three distros, there is no perceived favorite, but in recent couple of months, Debian 10 has been highly used and relied on.

• manjaro since it is based on Arch. Makes feel any old laggard comp faster and better.

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • Used to use CentOS on my own servers, but I moved everything to Fedora now. At work it's Debian and Ubuntu unfortunately.

• @quicksilver03 said:
    Used to use CentOS on my own servers, but I moved everything to Fedora now. At work it's Debian and Ubuntu unfortunately.

Production servers on Fedora?
    Sounds a bit stressful to me (new major version every six months still?) ...

• @flips said:
    Production servers on Fedora?
    Sounds a bit stressful to me (new major version every six months still?) ...

12 months of support per release, so it's feasible to stay on a version for a year. Fedora has also made in place upgrades pretty painless, just don't do anything too wacky with packages.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@FlamingSpaceJunk said:
    12 months of support per release

How's kernel 3.10 treating ya?

• I use Debian for production servers (mostly out of habit & the package manager is great). I've used it since about 2007. When I first got familiar with Linux I used to compile lots of software manually but I quickly learned that it was almost impossible to keep up with security bugs. Recompiling Apache/LAMP (and all the prerequisites) for every bug is a pain. I finally accepted that I should use packages and make due with the older versions of software.
    About a year ago I decided to see (again...) if Linux was ready for use as a desktop. I've tried to switch several times over the years but there were always problems, mostly due to poor font selections/rendering. Compared to Windows the interface looked ugly (especially when browsing websites). I would inevitably throw it out and start using Windows again. This last winter I decided to try Gentoo on my desktop and so far I'm impressed. I've been using it for a little over a year. Although it's a pain to initially set up, Gentoo runs incredibly fast and the KDE Plasma user interface finally gives Windows some competition for appearance. The other benefit is that Gentoo stays on the bleeding edge with new software releases. I still have Windows installed (mostly for remote desktop support and Visual Studio) but I've gotten to the point where I spend most of my time logged into Linux.

• ouvounouvoun OG
    edited January 2020

@goinsj2010 said:
    About a year ago I decided to see (again...) if Linux was ready for use as a desktop. I've tried to switch several times over the years but there were always problems, mostly due to poor font selections/rendering. Compared to Windows the interface looked ugly (especially when browsing websites). I would inevitably throw it out and start using Windows again. This last winter I decided to try Gentoo on my desktop and so far I'm impressed. I've been using it for a little over a year. Although it's a pain to initially set up, Gentoo runs incredibly fast and the KDE Plasma user interface finally gives Windows some competition for appearance. The other benefit is that Gentoo stays on the bleeding edge with new software releases. I still have Windows installed (mostly for remote desktop support and Visual Studio) but I've gotten to the point where I spend most of my time logged into Linux.

I tried really hard to use Linux as my personal desktop OS. I gave Solus a spin, and I actually really liked the opinionated approach. Budgie is also decent as a WM.

The problem for me is that I’m a competitive gamer. Linux isn’t built for that. Tools like Wine / DXVK have greatly improved the gaming expedience on Linux, but they’re still plagued with higher than average input latency and insane stutters due to shader caching. Also basic things are simply broken, such as dual Freesync monitors. That really ruins the mood.

Maybe someday Linux will be the desktop OS of choice for everyone. For me though, it’s not quite there.

It don’t be like it is until it do.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@ouvoun said:
    competitive gamer

That's quite the euphemism for lazy. :disappointed:

• ouvounouvoun OG
    edited January 2020

@WSS said:

@ouvoun said:
    competitive gamer

My choice of hobby in my free time is not indicative of my work ethic. I’m employed at a BigN company and I worked damn hard to get there.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@ouvoun said:

@WSS said:

@ouvoun said:
    competitive gamer

My choice of hobby in my free time is not indicative of my work ethic. I’m employed at a BigN company and I worked damn hard to get there.

Methinketh thou doest protest too much for a driveby shitpost.

• @WSS said:

@ouvoun said:

@WSS said:

@ouvoun said:
    competitive gamer

Methinketh thou doest protest too much for a driveby shitpost.

Sorry, I took it personally. It’s a false stereotype that keeps perpetuating and salts my jimmies.

• @WSS said:
    How's kernel 3.10 treating ya?

It's been fine. CentOS 7 is solid.

• @ouvoun said:

BigN company

MayI know what is a BigN company?

• @vyas said:

@ouvoun said:

BigN company

One of these. But the specifics are not important and the thread is getting derailed. :D

• @ouvoun said:

@vyas said:

@ouvoun said:

BigN company

One of these. But the specifics are not important and the thread is getting derailed. :D

Had heard of FANG and FAMGAS. BigN is new.

• HappyBeeHappyBee Hosting Provider

CentOS for servers and Ubuntu for workstations.

• probably ubuntu, just because ive used it for so long and have a familiarity with it xD.

Recommended hosts:
    Letbox, Data ideas, Hetzner

• minimal = alpine
    docker server = alpine
    k8s sever = debian
    desktop = fedora lxde