Reseller hosting pricing for this forum, opinions wanted

InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

Let’s just start this one off by stating the obvious, not everyone is going to agree that does not make anyone’s opinion less valid that any other.

When doing the rules initially I just missed reseller pricing, no good reason I just missed it.

Personally I think it should be limited to $7 p/month, the no yearly deals for companies trading less than 2 years would apply.

I don’t offer or use reseller hosting so my opinion is observation only.

Thoughts?

https://inceptionhosting.com
Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Comments

• @AnthonySmith said: Personally I think it should be limited to $7 p/month

Completely agree.

@AnthonySmith said: the no yearly deals for companies trading less than 2 years would apply.

Not limited to Reseller, I as a customer would prefer to pay yearly as it ends up getting cheaper for both the customer as well as the host. I feel trading for a year would be good enough but that's just my opinion.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited January 2020

If we want to stick to Lowend that's okay, I guess. Any plans to make a place for somewhat more expensive managed offers in the future? Not that I have anything in mind right now, just that back when I offered hosting on LET I'd appreciated it if there was a way for especially "premium" (bad word, couldn't find a better one) and/or "managed" Reseller Hosting to charge more than 7$/mo.

• @Ympker said:
    If we want to stick to Lowend that's okay, I guess. Any plans to make a place for somewhat more expensive managed offers in the future? Not that I have anything in mind right now, just that back when I offered hosting on LET I'd appreciated it if there was a way for especially "premium" (bad word, couldn't find a better one) and/or "managed" Reseller Hosting to charge more than 7$/mo.

I think the general readership understand that some services (eg managed, HA, etc) would be more expensive and could still be considered low end enough.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• @Ympker
    How would you define premium shared hosting?

for me premium would mean:

• Good performance (obviously)
    • 99.9% uptime (At least have a process in place when a h/w node goes down, Most hosts here just panic and wait for their providers)
    • Good Email delivery
    • well defined SLAs
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@evnix said:
    @Ympker

• 99.9% uptime (At least have a process in place when a h/w node goes down, Most hosts here just panic and wait for their providers)
    • Good Email delivery
    • well defined SLAs

I use reseller hosting almost exclusively. For me, premium means:

• Good support
    • LiteSpeed (for WP performance)
    • CloudLinux (beter isolation / security)
    • Daily off-site backups for at least past 7 days provided by the provider
    • Good technical support and reasonable response times
    • Nowadays, premium would also mean cPanel (+ JetBackup)
    • Good security and 99.9% uptime

10$ per month is rather cheap (depends on the allowed number of accounts if using cPanel and on available storage space).

7$ per month is quite a lowend limit. Not insisting on either, but personally would prefer 10$ limit since it might provide more offers of better quality IMO.

Thanked by (3)evnix MikePT ndelaespada

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

@evnix said:
    @Ympker

• Good Email delivery
    • well defined SLAs

I am thinking about the likes of All-Inkl.com . One of my first and favourite shared hosts although they use an inhouse control panel. They offer a Hotline from 9:00-24:00 for the cheapest plan and after that 24h Hotline. The chealest plan includes free domains already, further plans even more. They respond swiftly to e-mail inquiries (even at night) and that's not just some automated answer. Performance is stable with them, too. Now, I don't expect an actual 24h Hotline when I say Premium Host (as afaik most Hosts on here are running a tight ship with little other staff), but the perks you mentioned would be smth, as well as maybe an Emergency Hotline (if abused pay a fine is ok here), some extra Web Design perks or whatever... Just an idea though.

Thanked by (1)evnix
  • InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

Keep in mind that the les exclusive offers function would allow for higher pricing anyway and the no yearly deals for companies trading less than 2 years applies across the board anyway for all posts in the offers category.

Thanked by (2)Ympker MikePT

• I would like to see a $10/m limit on reseller plans so we have something unique and in the spirit of LES.

@AnthonySmith said:
    Keep in mind that the les exclusive offers function would allow for higher pricing anyway and the no yearly deals for companies trading less than 2 years applies across the board anyway for all posts in the offers category.

Gotcha Boss :D

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

I'd be happy with $7.

It wouldn't include 2/3rds of my packages but it would open room for me to discount to $7 for promotional threads.

If you did want to jump higher maybe just don't hit double digits.

Thanked by (2)Xenos evnix
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

I kind of lean with Anthony on this one.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

I'd agree with 10 USD/mo as a limit IMHO :)

Thanked by (2)Xenos vpsgeek
  • @AnthonySmith said: $7 p/month

What is this, LETs little brother or a different site altogether?

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@Lee said:

@AnthonySmith said: $7 p/month

What is this, LETs little brother or a different site altogether?

LET me check:

Same software ☑
    Same moderators ☑
    Same miscreants ☑
    Similar providers ☑
    Less scammage ☐

Thanked by (2)uptime poisson

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

@WSS said: Less scammage ☐

You're clearly not a customer of mine then.

Thanked by (1)WSS
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

@SmallWeb said:

@WSS said: Less scammage ☐

You're clearly not a customer of mine then.

Hell, you're not even actually British. Your name is Joshuan Prouten (A tanned German).

Thanked by (2)MichaelCee vpsgeek

@Lee it’s a reimagined version of let without cc ever having been involved.

Thanked by (2)Lee vpsgeek

• KermEdKermEd OG
    edited January 2020

Damn I never thought if that. We do need to raise our scammer bar if we want to be 1-to-1 with LET. Can Anthony create like 20 fake spider companies to collect BF monies, advert them like crazy and shut them all down the week after?

(Reseller weigh in - 7/m seems like a good spot)

• $2.99/yr for everything. That's my budget limit.

• Depends on whether this is lowendspirit or not. Low end feels like $7/month. If you want your fancy $10/month premium packages, there's probably another place you should visit.

• @FAT32 said:
    $2.99/yr for everything. That's my budget limit.

I thought you just won everything you use? You actually paid for something?

ok seems the majority are fine with $7 p/m

obviously that can be exceeded in the les exclusives offer section.

Thanked by (3)Xenos Ympker MikePT

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@AnthonySmith said:

Or by adding optional features (for a price)

Thanked by (1)InceptionHosting

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

@mikho said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Or by adding optional features (for a price)

Yeah that too.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

I just wanted to make sure I was not waaaay off with it, it can be adjusted as required over time.

edited January 2020

@uhu said:
    Depends on whether this is lowendspirit or not. Low end feels like $7/month. If you want your fancy $10/month premium packages, there's probably another place you should visit.

I'd argue that premium starts some 40% higher - at over 10$ per month.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• @bikegremlin said:

@evnix said:
    @Ympker

• Good Email delivery
    • well defined SLAs

• Good support

10$ per month is rather cheap (depends on the allowed number of accounts if using cPanel and on available storage space).

7$ per month is quite a lowend limit. Not insisting on either, but personally would prefer 10$ limit since it might provide more offers of better quality IMO.

Hello, you use both cPanel and DA right? So far which has been more reliable/stable and easier to use? I agree on Support being listed first and it should be listed together with #5

@exp said:

@bikegremlin said:

@evnix said:
    @Ympker

• Good Email delivery
    • well defined SLAs

• Good support

Hello, you use both cPanel and DA right? So far which has been more reliable/stable and easier to use? I agree on Support being listed first and it should be listed together with #5

Having in mind that, no matter how objective I try to be, I still have more experience with cPanel and would say I "like it" more - so that should be noted - I would say that cPanel is better. Though I really did give DirectAdmin a chance, with as open mind as can be. It just still isn't as good.

In other words: for a similar price, I'd prefer cPanel, hands down.

Now, since cPanel reseller hosting usually ends up being at least 30% (and more) costlier than DirectAdmin, the final choice depends on one's budget and priorities. With a note that DirectAdmin still doesn't support JetBackup, so didn't find a convenient way to do backups to Backblaze B2 (or Amazon for that matter) cheap storage. This fact makes the price difference less in favour of DirectAdmin.

To define "good" - I made a list of (according to me, based on my priorities etc.) pros and cons of DirectAdmin compared to cPanel:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/13269/directadmin-experience/

Would love to see DirectAdmin further improved, with similar pricing. It is a good product, but cPanel is still better.

Would prefer even more a free open source alternative of decent quality.