VPS to unblock netflix

havochavoc OGContent Writer

France specifically cause I want to learn French.

I can swing the vpn side but I also know most data center IP ranges are blocked. So keen to hear what you think the chances are of making this work?

Would rather give someone here cash than spend it on a vpn service

Comments

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited January 2020

@havoc said:
    keen to hear what you think the chances are of making this work?

bonjour @havoc - I dunno but am just thinking chances are probably better in the long run for any provider IP ranges to stay unblocked if they don't get discussed too glibly in an indexed thread in a public forum?

Anyway I am guessing you may actually get some useful suggestions for vpn services that specialize in unblocking whatever geo-restrictions. @Ympker and some other people here have probably seen a few decent ones in their travels :)

Alternatively - finding a VPS that works for you seems necessarily more hit-or-miss ... and in any case would question long-term viability especially if advertised as such. Somewhat of a paradoxical situation for a seeker to navigate, still maybe possible with some care.

FYI, might also consider opening a thread in the "off-topic" (not indexed) category - thougn I expect whatever decent specialty vpn service that might get suggested in this thread here would ultimately be your best bet, all things considered.

HS4LIFE (+ (* 3 4) (* 5 6))

• havochavoc OGContent Writer
    edited January 2020

@uptime fair point on not discussing it.

I've got a vpn provider already (PIA) but after recent bullsht I'm kinda over giving them cash. Seems like one of the shadiest things on the Internet

Might need to set up a script and try a few places. But ugh that's gonna be messy

Ah didn't realise some sections aren't indexed.

I did already find one that works for German though (not Netflix, zattoo)

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@havoc said:

I've got a vpn provider already (PIA) but after recent bullsht I'm kinda over giving them cash. Seems like one of the shadiest things on the Internet

Might need to set up a script and try a few places. But ugh that's gonna be messy

Ivacy unblocks US,UK Flix. If you are looking for FR though, I am not too sure.

Thanked by (2)uptime havoc
  • @Ympker said:

@havoc said:

Just tried, and ivacy does unblock netflix france. However, the IP was from M247, so it may get blocked sooner or later

Thanked by (3)uptime havoc Ympker
  • There are tons of french videos on youtube and everywhere else. Maybe just don't bother with netflix.

Thanked by (2)cybertech havoc
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

Ya know there's a hell of a lot of French shit on Archive.org as well.
    I used DuoLingo a couple years ago to get to at least 1st grade conversational Swedish.

Thanked by (1)havoc

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

Hmm. Might just have to pony up for a vpn then (sigh)

@willie said:
    There are tons of french videos on youtube and everywhere else. Maybe just don't bother with netflix.

@WSS

Well the thinking is to get as close to immersion as possible. Plus I suck at learning langs so so need all the help I can get lol

@sanvit said:

@Ympker said:

@havoc said:

Just tried, and ivacy does unblock netflix france. However, the IP was from M247, so it may get blocked sooner or later

The cool thing with VPN Providers as opposed to a single VPS is that they usually replace not working IPs with something that works though. At least for Netflix US odds are Ivacy already did so a few times.

Thanked by (1)havoc
    edited January 2020

@Ympker. Yeah might just grab a ivacy sub. Their 5 year one is priced well and solves some other problems for me (parents want German TV)

If you have a referral code send me one. If its compatible with the deal I'll use it

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @Ympker said:

@sanvit said:

@Ympker said:

@havoc said:

The cool thing with VPN Providers as opposed to a single VPS is that they usually replace not working IPs with something that works though. At least for Netflix US odds are Ivacy already did so a few times.

True, but the thing is Netflix FR is not officially supported by ivacy. If seems more likely that Netflix FR isn't a major Netflix VPN country, so Netflix doesn't have enough IP data for it.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @sanvit said:

@Ympker said:

@havoc said:

Many VPNs use IPv6 tunnels to proxy Netflix traffic, so while you're connecting to an M247 IP the traffic may be getting tunnelled over IPv6 (which is cheap to get blocks for) to Netflix. You can check by viewing your Netflix watch history in your account settings which will show you the actual IP Netflix sees.

Thanked by (2)Ympker uptime

@havoc said:
    @Ympker. Yeah might just grab a ivacy sub. Their 5 year one is priced well and solves some other problems for me (parents want German TV)

If you have a referral code send me one. If its compatible with the deal I'll use it

Thanks for the offer mate, but I don't participate in the referral program of Stacksocial atm. Make sure to get your 5 year sub through Stacksocial though, since you'll be paying more on the Ivacy website:
    https://stacksocial.com/sales/ivacy-vpn-5-year-subscription

Coupon code "DN40" could still work iirc.

Thanked by (1)havoc

@Ympker said: Stacksocial though, since you'll be paying more on the Ivacy website:

Thanks mate. That is indeed much cheaper

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@havoc said:

@Ympker said: Stacksocial though, since you'll be paying more on the Ivacy website:

Thanks mate. That is indeed much cheaper

Thought I'd mention it in case you were looking at the price of the actual Ivacy site :)

One gotcha - 1 device vs 5

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@havoc said:
    One gotcha - 1 device vs 5

I've got 5. It's concurrent devices, so depends on your usage. If it's only used by you, 1 device should be fine but if you gonna use it on multiple devices concurrently 5 is better.

• Should we expect another VPN sale soon?

• ClouviderClouvider Hosting ProviderOG
    edited January 2020

@hopeful said:
    Should we expect another VPN sale soon?

BF and Christmas are gone, if not a New Year sale then I don’t know what else you expect ;-).

You’re too @hopeful :p

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@WSS said:
    Ya know there's a hell of a lot of French shit on Archive.org as well.
    I used DuoLingo a couple years ago to get to at least 1st grade conversational Swedish.

En svala gör ingen sommar.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• @Clouvider said:

@hopeful said:
    Should we expect another VPN sale soon?

BF and Christmas are gone, if not a New Year sale then I don’t know what else you expect ;-).

You’re too @hopeful :p

It’s all in the name...

Thanked by (1)Clouvider
  • flipsflips OG
    edited January 2020

I guess the thread is already derailed, so ... ;)

@mikho said: En svala gör ingen sommar.

Being Norwegian I get the words, I think ...
    "A swallow makes no/does not cause summer?"
    But what's the point of the expression?
    Is it really 1st grade conversational Swedish? :lol:

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@flips said:
    I guess the thread is already derailed, so ... ;)

@mikho said: En svala gör ingen sommar.

Being Norwegian I get the words, I think ...
    "A swallow makes no/does not cause summer?"
    But what's the point of the expression?

More like, That you should not withdraw anything in advance.

@flips said:
    Is it really 1st grade conversational Swedish? :lol:

It was directed to @WSS, even if knowing 1st grade Swedish (and driving a SAAB), doesn’t make you a Swede. ;)

Thanked by (1)flips

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• @mikho said: More like, That you should not withdraw anything in advance.

Hm, something like the Norwegian
    «Ikke selg skinnet før bjørnen er skutt»
    maybe ... Well, not quite, maybe ... :)

(Something like "don't count your chickens before they're hatched", except we talk about selling the bear skin before shooting the bear.)

Thanked by (1)mikho
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

@mikho said:
    It was directed to @WSS, even if knowing 1st grade Swedish (and driving a SAAB), doesn’t make you a Swede. ;)

Of course not. I love my freedom.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

Packetstream.io?
    Fluidstack.io?

I lease my residential bandwidth to them, so perhaps they might have residential VPN services.

@lentro said: I lease my residential bandwidth to them, so perhaps they might have residential VPN services.

Interesting. I knew some VPNs leverage home broadband but didn't know you could sell it. Mind sharing a bit more details?

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

@havoc said:

@lentro said: I lease my residential bandwidth to them, so perhaps they might have residential VPN services.

Interesting. I knew some VPNs leverage home broadband but didn't know you could sell it. Mind sharing a bit more details?

My home server has a Windows VM that runs software from both provider.fluidstack.io and packetstream.io. They buy residential bandwidth and then sell it, presumably to bypass datacenter VPN blocking and/or have an interesting CDN.