Use backup MX as spam filter?

Hey @all,

I am lately seeing a huge increase in incoming spam on some mail accounts I take care of for a friend of mine.
As the spam filtering on the provider's side seems to be pretty subpar, I was thinking about getting that incoming mail filtered before getting them handed over to the existing mail server.
Kinda like this services claim to do, i.e.:

This way the existing accounts would stay in place and no mails have to be moved to another service. The result I would hope for would be better filtering (maybe even blacklisting) and the availability of some sort of a "quarantine".

I am wondering if something like this could be achieved with mailcow in a "Backup MX" setup, while beeing more of the only receiving server that forwards the mails after passing the filter.
Do you guys have any thoughts about this or maybe even know other providers that you already tried out? Would be quite happy to hear about it!

Regards, Bochi

Comments

• I found some time to play around with mailcow and set it up as backup MX. However, I would need to set a fixed server for forwarding the incoming mails to to use the "backup" MX as the only receiving server... And as transport maps only apply to outgoing mails, I come to think that my desired setup is not (yet?) possible to be achieved using mailcow. :(

• alentoalento Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider
    Thanked by (1)Bochi

Recommended providers: BuyVM - MXroute - LunaNode - Forpsi - IntoVPS
    Contact me for all of your Mail-in-a-Box email hosting needs at AnyDomain. I am also a proud reseller of MXroute email.

• Thank you so much! You just sent me down another rabbit hole to discover some nice services and solutions. :)
    As the SaaS solutions for MailScanner seem to be quite expensive and / or are not hosted within the EU, I might have to play a little bit with it myself.
    MailScanner + MailWatch looks like a neat solution, however, the manual with its 400 pages seems a bit overwhelming at first glance. :P

• @Bochi said:
    MailScanner + MailWatch looks like a neat solution, however, the manual with its 400 pages seems a bit overwhelming at first glance. :P

I used MailScanner, ClamAV, Spamassassin, Mailwatch, plus various selfhosted blacklists, etc for years. Finally tired of the effort of it for ~5 low volume domains and shifted to using MXRoute. Jarland and I disagree about a few of his config choices, but overall I get more time to do more interesting stuff.

• MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider
    edited January 2020

We provide MailChannels inbound filtering services, you can use whatever mail server/service you're using, no migration required.

https://myw.pt/manager/cart.php?gid=19

It's cheap.

Thanked by (1)Bochi