Equinix is acquiring bare metal cloud provider Packet

cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

Equinix announced today that it is acquiring bare metal cloud provider Packet, the New York City startup that had raised over $36 million on a $100 million valuation, according to PitchBook data.

Equinix has a set of data centers and co-location facilities around the world. Companies that may want to have more control over their hardware could use their services, including space, power and cooling systems, instead of running their own data centers.

Equinix is getting a unique cloud infrastructure vendor in Packet, one that can provide more customized kinds of hardware configurations than you can get from the mainstream infrastructure vendors like AWS and Azure. Company COO George Karidis described what separated his company from the pack in a September, 2018 TechCrunch article:

“We offer the most diverse hardware options,” he said. That means they could get servers equipped with Intel, ARM, AMD or with specific nVidia GPUs in whatever configurations they want. By contrast public cloud providers tend to offer a more off-the-shelf approach. It’s cheap and abundant, but you have to take what they offer, and that doesn’t always work for every customer.

In a blog post announcing the deal, company co-founder and CEO Zachary Smith had a message for his customers, who may be worried about the change in ownership. “When the transaction closes later this quarter, Packet will continue operating as before: same team, same platform, same vision,” he wrote.

He also offered the standard value story for a deal like this, saying the company could scale much faster under Equinix than it could on its own, with access to its new company’s massive resources, including 200+ data centers in 55 markets and 1,800 networks.

Sara Baack, chief product officer at Equinix, says bringing the two companies together will provide a diverse set of bare metal options for customers moving forward. “Our combined strengths will further empower companies to be everywhere they need to be, to interconnect everyone and integrate everything that matters to their business,” she said in a statement.

While the companies did not share the purchase price, they did hint that they would have more details on the transaction after it closes, which is expected in the first quarter this year.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/01/14/equinix-is-acquiring-bare-metal-cloud-provider-packet/

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

Thanked by (1)uptime

Comments

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Hosting ProviderOG

Very interesting, we had an email from Zac about this.

PureVoltage - Custom Dedicated Servers Dual E5-2680v3 64gb ram 1TB nvme 100TB/10g $145
    New York Colocation - Amazing pricing 1U-48U+

• AmitzAmitz OG
    edited January 2020

"bare metal cloud"? That is nothing else but language rape.

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@Amitz said:
    "bare metal cloud"?

GET WOLKE!

Thanked by (2)Delong Amitz

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• qpsqps Hosting ProviderOG

Guess I should have probably bought packet.com when I had the chance. Oh well.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

@qps said:

I've logged on to say guess you weren't.. quick enough.

Sorry.

• @SmallWeb said:

@qps said:

I've logged on to say guess you weren't.. quick enough.

Sorry.

Time to invest in SmallPacket!!

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

how about slowpacket? better than lostpacket

Thanked by (1)PureVoltage

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• joepie91joepie91 OGServices Provider

@Amitz said:
    "bare metal cloud"? That is nothing else but language rape.

They basically mean hourly-paid dedicated servers with an API.

Thanked by (1)Amitz
  • @joepie91 said: They basically mean hourly-paid dedicated servers with an API.

I know... But... You know... It sounds utterly wrong and supid.

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• joepie91joepie91 OGServices Provider

@Amitz said:

@joepie91 said: They basically mean hourly-paid dedicated servers with an API.

I know... But... You know... It sounds utterly wrong and supid.

Shrug, "cloud" has always been a buzzword with entirely different meanings to different people. I've certainly seen this one used before, and any kind of usage of the term "cloud" annoys me equally :)

• vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2020

There is a chain of maternity clinics called Cloud Nine here.
    Let that not cloud your mind
    Or make you see dark clouds....

Because there where there are clouds,
    Sometimes there is a fog .
    If you have the foggiest idea what I am talking about,
    You will embrace the cloud and ponder
    Public, private or hybrid, which to take you may wonder.

Cirrus, nimbus or cumolonibus...
    Clouds were there in the past,
    Cloud some say is the future.
    Governments love it- govcloud and Meghdoot-
    The latter named after an early 1st or 2nd century play.

So repeat after me. Cloud! Cloud!! Cloud!!!

Thanked by (1)uptime