[Inception Hosting] - No longer providing Xen based services from 28th Feb 2020

InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG
edited January 2020 in Industry News

Email sent to all users:

Good Afternoon,

As of the 28th February 2020 Inception Hosting Limited will no longer be providing or maintaining any UK XEN Based virtual servers, it has been somewhere in the region of 3 years since a single Xen based package has been sold as most people have migrated to KVM.

It has now reached a point whereby it is costing money to maintain the service, i.e. it is running at a none negligible loss.

Because of the differences between Xen and KVM it is simply not possible to do a hands off migration on your behalf as such you will need to self migrate on to KVM.

There is no problem keeping the same IP address when you migrate to KVM to make the transition simple for you.

Options:

If you need to migrate data and keep your IP's, open a ticket requesting a replacement VPS, one will be provided for you likely with upgraded specs compared to what you have now in terms of RAM, the KVM VPS will be free and at no additional cost up to the 28th February, the anniversary date of your service will then be transferred over and billing will continue as normal, when you confirm migration has been done update the ticket to request the IP's are swapped, the Xen VPS will be terminated either on the 28th February or if you confirm this can be done sooner after migration.
If you are not concerned about data and have your own backups then again just open a ticket requesting the upgraded replacement and that will be done and the IP's swapped and the Xen server (old VPS) terminated straight away and your billing cycle will continue as it was but for he new VPS
If you are not concerned about data or IP's then just mention that in the ticket and your new KVM VPS will be provisioned for you.
If you do not want to migrate to KVM at all and would rather find another Xen host then you can opt to either get a pro rated refund (only for annual or semi annual payments made in the last 6 months) or you can opt to have a copy of your full raw disk image made available so another host offering Xen can import it directly minimizing fuss for you.
If you are on a Month to Month payment/contract right now then please simply do not renew or put in a ticket ASAP to get migrated, a full month + 1 days notice has been given so no one should be in a position of having to pay for just a few days to renew.

As always these decisions are never taken lightly and the options outlined above are meant to cover as many scenarios as possible but if you wish to discuss anything different that works better for you then please open a ticket to discuss.

To view available packages you can move too see: https://inceptionhosting.com/vps.html

You do not have to stick to the same location, it is fine if you want to switch to SSD cached KVM in the USA, SSD cached KVM in the UK, OpenVZ 7 in any location or Pure SSD KVM in the UK, all efforts will be made to accommodate you.

It is important that you act sooner rather than later, please do not ignore this email.

Thank you for your understanding.

Anthony Smith.
Inception Hosting Limited.

https://inceptionhosting.com
Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

Thanked by (3)vpsgeek Amitz Ympker

Comments

• AmitzAmitz OG
    edited January 2020

I don't like changes. XEN contains a X. KVM does not. It's not equal. You will hear from my legal team.

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

Just curious if you care to divulge -- how many Xen stragglers did you still have being carted along?

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@Amitz said:
    I don't like changes. XEN contains a X. KVM does not. It's not equal. You will hear from my legal team.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@Mason said:
    Just curious if you care to divulge -- how many Xen stragglers did you still have being carted along?

Thanked by (1)Mason

• 5 short of the ultimate answer to everything

Thanked by (1)uptime

Squats are the new Push-ups

@vyas said: 5 short of the ultimate answer to everything

Hence the shut down.

Thanked by (1)ialexpw

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@AnthonySmith said:

@vyas said: 5 short of the ultimate answer to everything

Hence the shut down.

Aren't you supposed to spend a bit more time thinking about this?

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

@WSS said: Aren't you supposed to spend a bit more time thinking about this?

I started thinking about it on the 21st September 2016 :)

• @Amitz said:

But KVM is one third potassium, which has to be a bonus?

Thanked by (2)Amitz uptime
  • Oh! I did not know about the potassium proportion in KVM. That's sexy, I will take my claim back and embrace the change! <3

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• Xen used to be special, unfortunately not that popular anymore

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek

@tgl said:
    Xen used to be special, unfortunately not that popular anymore

People don't want to pay for long term stable any more, they just expect it at no extra cost :)

Thanked by (3)tgl vpsgeek cybertech

• qpsqps Hosting ProviderOG

@AnthonySmith said: long term stable

Yeah, we had some Xen nodes that would go years between reboots. It just worked.

We're down to roughly 30 customer Xen VMs left now. I suspect we'll be doing something similar to this before long.

@qps said:

@AnthonySmith said: long term stable

Yeah, we had some Xen nodes that would go years between reboots. It just worked.

We're down to roughly 30 customer Xen VMs left now. I suspect we'll be doing something similar to this before long.

Had to setup a Xen 48 node on el7 to do a quick and temporary move of some internal stuff, turns out it simply does not work on solusvm at all now, meaning Xen has been essentially unsupported on solusvm for about a year.