Brexit - what now? How about VAT?

MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

So now that Brexit is happening tomorrow - do we still charge VAT? What about UK companies, can they charge VAT?

This is pretty confusing and I doubt our accountant knows.

@Clouvider maybe you can chime in or @AnthonySmith ?

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek

Comments

• @MikePT said: do we still charge VAT? What about

Yes, you charge VAT and you keep it.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG
    edited January 2020

While we leave tomorrow (for fucks sake) nothing actually changes for at least a year probably (almost certainly) longer while in the transition period, the UK is effectively out but agreeing to bide by all the rules and regs until Boris does his shit trade deal, sells the NHS (by was of indirect big pharma), fucks over the poor and makes the rich richer.

Can you tell how I voted :)

edit: For clarity I am not an expert I gave up a few months ago with all this nonsense, the thing about the UK people need to remember is that we put regulation in place to get billions from big business and have almost ZERO plan or resource to enforce any regulations on the little/medium/somewhat large folks.

Even now there is no dedicated vatmoss regulation haha.

Thanked by (3)beagle MikePT mfs

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• until new rules (wich is not clear yet) you will function until now. Romanian case : we are obligated to charge vat to any company out of UE region except if have special agreement. So "teoretically" start from Tumorrow we need to colect vat also from UK ..

Thanked by (1)MikePT
  • @Janevski said: Yes, you charge VAT and you keep it.

yes and next year when you declare ... you will pay at least 3x more.

Thanked by (1)MikePT
  • You keep on reverse charging if it's a business you're trading with. For individuals things have yet to be defined.

Thanked by (1)MikePT
  • deankdeank OG
    edited January 2020

I reckon nothing will change to VAT with one exception.

Instead of VAT partially going to EU, all of it will go to Westminster, after the end of 2020. This is where Westminster can adjust it.

Thanked by (1)MikePT

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    While we leave tomorrow (for fucks sake) nothing actually changes for at least a year probably (almost certainly) longer while in the transition period, the UK is effectively out but agreeing to bide by all the rules and regs until Boris does his shit trade deal, sells the NHS (by was of indirect big pharma), fucks over the poor and makes the rich richer.

edit: For clarity I am not an expert I gave up a few months ago with all this nonsense, the thing about the UK people need to remember is that we put regulation in place to get billions from big business and have almost ZERO plan or resource to enforce any regulations on the little/medium/somewhat large folks.

One thing that has always intrigued me has been Euro as your default currency for pricing....would that change, or is it too early to say?

One thing is for certain, tax(es) will exist in one form or another... How many tax heads, percentages, and credits/passbacks will be there is unknown?

Thanked by (1)MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@AnthonySmith said:

Woo really?

We do apply MOSS, though our accountant didn't know anything about it. I had to get him all the information...
    We pay VAT MOSS quarterly.

@cociu said:
    until new rules (wich is not clear yet) you will function until now. Romanian case : we are obligated to charge vat to any company out of UE region except if have special agreement. So "teoretically" start from Tumorrow we need to colect vat also from UK ..

Not in that case, as @AnthonySmith mentioned it'll take a year?

@Solaire said:
    You keep on reverse charging if it's a business you're trading with. For individuals things have yet to be defined.

Yep we do reverse charing. Wondering if it'll change in a year.

@deank said:
    I reckon nothing will change to VAT with one exception.

Instead of VAT partially going to EU, all of it will go to Westminster, after the end of 2020. This is where Westminster can adjust it.

Wuu, Westminster??

@vyas said:

@AnthonySmith said:

One thing that has always intrigued me has been Euro as your default currency for pricing....would that change, or is it too early to say?

One thing is for certain, tax(es) will exist in one form or another... How many tax heads, percentages, and credits/passbacks will be there is unknown?

UK uses GBP, so they're fine as it is tho.
    If they were using EURO, that'd be a whole different story.

• Westminster is where Britain's parliament is.

Think of it as Washington D.C. of USA.

Thanked by (1)MikePT

• @MikePT said:

We do apply MOSS, though our accountant didn't know anything about it. I had to get him all the information...

I only know Vat69 and Kate Moss.

VAT Moss seems like something undesirable. Like Hydrogen Peroxide.

Thanked by (1)MikePT
  • @MikePT said:

@Solaire said:
    You keep on reverse charging if it's a business you're trading with. For individuals things have yet to be defined.

It shouldn't. Whether you do business with the UK, the USA or even Spain, it's all the same. Reverse charging basically means you give jack shit about how the client pays for his taxes, you're essentially waiving your own liability to do so because you export your service or goods.

Thanked by (1)MikePT

@deank said:
    Westminster is where Britain's parliament is.

Think of it as Washington D.C. of USA.

Oooooooo makes sense now that I know what that is...

@vyas said:

@MikePT said:

Kate Moss is awesome.

@Solaire said:

@MikePT said:

@Solaire said:

It shouldn't. Whether you do business with the UK, the USA or even Spain, it's all the same. Reverse charging basically means you give jack shit about how the client pays for his taxes, you're essentially waiving your own liability to do so because you export your service or goods.

Correct, but MOSS is dedicated to our market (hosting), telecommunications, etc. So it's a different regime.
    As for reverse charge, well, no VAT for USA even for their end-users. Spain, VAT for the end-user, reverse charge for valid VAT numbers (companies).
    Damn, EU is a mess.

Thanked by (2)Solaire mikho
  • I agree one thing about Brexit.

It is that EU is undemocratic.

Thanked by (1)MikePT

• @Solaire said: shouldn't. Whether you do business with the UK, the USA or even Spain, it's all the same. Reverse charging basically means you give jack shit about how the client pays for his taxes, you're essentially waiving your own liability to do so because you export your service or goods.

>

not so easy ... i will give you a true exemple (my personal one) :

i have buy last year like 1000 servers from USA and was all shipping and imported via UK for less tax , with.. let say a round number 100 eur/server. So total bill 100k correct ? i mean withowt VAT. Now , i do not sell this servers durring the next 3 years so no vat applayed in this case is for business use. So my final cost is only 100k because after 3 years the law in romania is permit to destroy this servers because is too old. In this case we have avoid extracharge of 21k in VAT. NOW if is quit EU finnaly the vat will be charged in UK and our guvern is not pay back any vat in the last years , delay delay delay. SO NO WILL NOT BE THE SAME.

Thanked by (1)MikePT
  • @vyas said:

@MikePT said:

Not as undesirable as potassium chloride perhaps..

Thanked by (1)MikePT

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

@deank said: Instead of VAT partially going to EU, all of it will go to Westminster

Pretty sure the EU never collected/received VAT...and VAT goes to the Exchequer not Westminster...

Thanked by (1)MikePT
  • ClouviderClouvider Hosting ProviderOG

So we’re in the business of creating two (or three?) same threads in each of the forums now ?

Thanked by (3)MikePT vimalware Amitz

@Clouvider said:
    So we’re in the business of creating two (or three?) same threads in each of the forums now ?

Sorry. I did that as I want different opinions. 3 forums right now, trying to pay attention to all of those.

• You know what they say; threesome is the best some.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

vat about VAT?

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• Crossposting has never been considered as a cool move in the Internet world.

Thanked by (2)Clouvider angstrom

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• @Amitz said:
    Crossposting has never been considered as a cool move in the Internet world.

What about shitposting?

• Same with shitposting. Still, we all do both from time to time.

Thanked by (1)vyas

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).

@Amitz said:
    Crossposting has never been considered as a cool move in the Internet world.

Sorry I try to keep everyone happy :(

• AmitzAmitz OG
    edited February 2020

That never works out. You should know that by now... ;) It's a sign of character not trying to keep everyone happy.

Thanked by (1)MikePT

• Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).

@flips said:

That is virtualizors next error message right there.

• @AnthonySmith said: That is virtualizors next error message right there.

I kinda get the impression you're no Virtualizor fanboy ... ;)