mrVM - The short (long) story behind the lack of visits to LES and the future......

12346»

Comments

• @SGraf said: However no change, is without its drawbacks, this means that the support for tun/tap interfaces is going away.

Does that mean it's no longer possible to set up an OpenVPN / Wireguard server on the LXC containers?

• SGrafSGraf Hosting ProviderServices Provider

@tbnuser said:

@SGraf said: However no change, is without its drawbacks, this means that the support for tun/tap interfaces is going away.

Does that mean it's no longer possible to set up an OpenVPN / Wireguard server on the LXC containers?

That is my current working theory.

Wireguard requires a kernel module (that would need to be loaded on the host) as far as i am aware. This also would not work with the ovz6/7 servers from before.

openvpn requires tun/tap as far as i am aware. - so i dont think that would work.

Shadowsocks should work as far as i am aware.

sshuttle ( https://github.com/apenwarr/sshuttle ) should work.

Pretty sure there are others.

All of the current clients can raise a ticket.... I'm happy to supply a lxc based vps for testing - So we can get a list of things going that work out of the box. When i have worked thru all the other items (long list) - i am happy to look into feature requests.

MyRoot.PW ★ Dedicated Servers ★ Web-Hosting ★ LIR-Services ★
    MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★
    Blesta.Store ★ Blesta licenses and Add-ons at amazing Prices ★

• @SGraf said:

Wireguard requires a kernel module (that would need to be loaded on the host) as far as i am aware. This also would not work with the ovz6/7 servers from before.

There is a Go based userspace version that would've worked but it still requires a tun device.

Shadowsocks should work as far as i am aware.

This will work since it doesn't require a tun device. It's just SOCKS with some crypto attached.

Re: closures, so there were eight US locations and it's going down to four? NY / MIA / LAX /ATL. Is that right?

Thanked by (1)bdl
    edited November 2023

@skorous said:
    Re: closures, so there were eight US locations and it's going down to four? NY / MIA / LAX /ATL. Is that right?

almost....... NY/MIA/LAX are dead since NexusBytes has disappeared...

ATL/SEA/WV/HILLS/ASH where the US locations when i started taking control of things in September.
    Most of those have not been advertised a lot. Therefore they also do not have a lot of users. (And of those a a good percentage just picked them up as part of a bundle).

In the future there will be two US locations (KC,+1 More...stay tuned...for updated...)
    I am also looking into doing a Canadian location as that would work well with some of my other plans for the future.
    ( already in talks with a few people regarding colocation options for .ca)

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

Update: 2023-11-21:

• Discontinued Servers: Almost finished on scheduling cancellations/...
    • Benefits for existing MrVM Clients: I have Posted/pinned a 35% discount code in the Client Area. I realize "Black Friday" is getting closer and i wanted to do something for you. Please do not share this code in public.
    • PayPal: Will be added back on Wednesday or Thursday this week.
    Thanked by (3)bdl skorous Vespermillion

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited November 2023

@SGraf said: Benefits for existing MrVM Clients: I have Posted/pinned a 35% discount code in the Client Area. I realize "Black Friday" is getting closer and i wanted to do something for you. Please do not share this code in public.

So does that mean you're going to send me something juicy for the LES BF mega-thread ?

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

edited November 2023

@FrankZ said:

@SGraf said: Benefits for existing MrVM Clients: I have Posted/pinned a 35% discount code in the Client Area. I realize "Black Friday" is getting closer and i wanted to do something for you. Please do not share this code in public.

So does that mean you're going to send me something juicy for the LES BF mega-thread ?

For MrVM: Not very likely, at least not for lxc. However i wanted to do something for the existing Users.

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@SGraf said:

@FrankZ said:

For MrVM: Not very likely, at least not for lxc. However i wanted to do something for the existing Users.

Thanked by (2)FAT32 bikegremlin

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• @SGraf When should we look for stock to hit for US locations? Also, you had talked about a possible Canadian location. Still a possibility? Any chance it'll launch before the end of the year?

• @SGraf said:
    Update: 2023-11-21:

• Discontinued Servers: Almost finished on scheduling cancellations/...
    • Benefits for existing MrVM Clients: I have Posted/pinned a 35% discount code in the Client Area. I realize "Black Friday" is getting closer and i wanted to do something for you. Please do not share this code in public.
    • PayPal: Will be added back on Wednesday or Thursday this week.

Finally migrated all my existing services elsewhere, but will the discount code expire and what other locations will be in place for LXC?

edited November 2023

@skorous said:
    @SGraf When should we look for stock to hit for US locations? Also, you had talked about a possible Canadian location. Still a possibility? Any chance it'll launch before the end of the year?

That would be the plan at the moment. However we'll see what happens ;)

Thanked by (1)skorous

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• @wcypierre said:

Finally migrated all my existing services elsewhere, but will the discount code expire and what other locations will be in place for LXC?

If you log in to the ClientUI you'll see that it does expire.

Thanked by (1)bdl

@wcypierre said:
    will the discount code expire and what other locations will be in place for LXC?

The code will remain usable until the end of the year, as stated in the message in the client area.
    After that it cannot be used when placing an order.

@wcypierre said:
    what other locations will be in place for LXC?

One step at a time. I prefer not to "over-promise" in this regard. I'd rather have some excitement when stuff is ready.

Thanked by (1)wcypierre

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

edited November 2023

update 2023-11-22:

• PayPal Payments are getting accepted again.
    Thanked by (2)bikegremlin flips

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• In case anyone else was wondering about Wireguard without TUN/TAP: I was able to make it work using wiretap.

Here is how to configure it (replace SERVER_IP with your NAT IP and SERVER_PORT with forwarded port):

# Generate server and client config
    ./wiretap configure --routes 0.0.0.0/0 --outbound --endpoint SERVER_IP:SERVER_PORT --simple

# Run server inside container
    ./wiretap serve -f wiretap_server.conf --simple --port SERVER_PORT

• edited November 2023

@SGraf said:
    However no change, is without its drawbacks, this means that the support for tun/tap interfaces is going away.

Does anyone happen to know it Tailscale can work without TUN/TAP?
    EDIT: Nevermind, apparently one can use userspace-networking instead. :)

• @SGraf said: However i wanted to do something for the existing Users.

How about not kicking us out? :heart:

edited November 2023

@Janevski said:

@SGraf said: However i wanted to do something for the existing Users.

I really would love not to "kick anyone out".... At the same time, Its not feasible to keep some locations.

As an Example: One location had about 15 to 20 users paying an average of 5 euros (after the adjustment) per year, whereas operating said location would cost about a minimum of 30 per month for the server+panel....

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• @SGraf said:

@Janevski said:

I really would love not to "kick anyone out".... At the same time, Its not feasible to keep some locations.

As an Example: One location had about 15 to 20 users paying an average of 5 euros (after the adjustment) per year, whereas operating said location would cost about a minimum of 30 per month for the server+panel....

Yes, but instead of, we are closing the location, you have been kicked out mail, you could offer a migration at a different location at a more expensive price, naturally.

@Janevski said:

@SGraf said:

@Janevski said:

Yes, but instead of, we are closing the location, you have been kicked out mail, you could offer a migration at a different location at a more expensive price, naturally.

I have evaluated going the "migration" route. But migrating an old OVZ6 to a modern LXC with a big gap in kernel-Userland versions/... really isn't a solid plan.

So I have given everyone affected account-credit for the time they cannot use AND some lead time (more than a month) to pick up a replacement service+transfer their files.

Thanked by (3)skorous flips bikegremlin

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• @DuMOHsmol said: I was able to make it work using wiretap.

Thanks so much for testing! Makes me a lot happier now that I know that I can still find a use for my NZ NAT once it gets downgraded upgraded!

Anyways, Zappiehost's NZ LXC containers support openvpn, so hope that it's on the roadmap to add TAP/TUN for the NAT slots here too.

• Any BF offer?

@htgy said:
    Any BF offer?

This Year there are no BF Deals at MrVM.

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• Any updates on the new locations? Gettin' kind of down to the wire.

• @skorous said:
    Any updates on the new locations? Gettin' kind of down to the wire.

Forgot to tag @SGraf

edited December 2023

@skorous said:

@skorous said:
    Any updates on the new locations? Gettin' kind of down to the wire.

Forgot to tag @SGraf

Dear Skorus!

Thank you for your inquiry. As you may have noticed, my activity level on the forums has decreased over the last weeks.
    That is because everything has been an extremely busy recently. Many projects are finally moving closer to completion.

With regard to available server-resources/inventory... Please refer to the website.
    It is the first thing that gets updated whenever more capacity is being added.

If there is something else that concerns MrVM, please open a ticket.
    (Note: Opening multiple tickets just makes it harder for me to clear the backlog).

Kind Regards

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

edited February 15

Quick update as of 2024_02_15:

• Hypervisors+Provisioning/management module have proven to be very reliable.
    • "Domain Forwarding" via 80/443 is moving from the "testing" stage to "production" and can now be requested by all clients via a ticket.
    • If things go to plan...then a new LXC location is also coming end of this to middle of next month.

More to follow soon!

Thanked by (1)htgy

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

Update 2024_03_07:
    - Two new LXC locations in the works. (Slightly behind schedule on this,but its not going to be much longer :) ).
    - LXC1_ams node full, LXC2_ams node provisioning now. (Packages marked to reflect this on the site).

Thanked by (2)zgato htgy

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★