Multiwan on mesh VPN?

Hello boys and girls of LES, wonder if you can solve the mystery for me here.

I have a few VPS interconnected in a mesh VPN plus my home router running openwrt which I would very like to run multiwan on (load balancing+failover).

I have tried mwan3 and policy routing on openwrt but don't think that's what I want. First of all, mwan3 assumes your upstreams all reside in different subnets, but my mesh VPN is one subnet.

For example, let's say my home router has the IP address of 10.0.2.1 in the mesh, and the upstream VPSes have 10.0.2.2 and 10.0.2.3. mwan3 will not work in this situation since it would like to see one device per VPN connection, with the upstreams be in different subnets.

I searched the interwebs to no avail. Therefore I would like to pick the master minds of the LESbians.

Thank you very much!

The all seeing eye sees everything...

Comments

• Sounds like this would be a case for dynamic routing, either OSPF or BGP. I can't speak for BGP setup personally, but looking into OSPF (if your OpenWRT router has the horsepower for it) probably would be your best bet. Then you can configure routing statements with differing priorities.

mwan3 is primarily designed for traditional MultiWAN setups (multiple ISPs into one router) for redundancy at that specific location.

You may want to consider upgrading to a OPNSense router if you want to keep it free, or look into a low-end small business router such as a Mikrotik.

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

JFC who the hell would try to run OSPF in 2020? It was a burden to run a local network in 16M back in 1995.

Why are you setting them all in one subnet other than being wasteful and lazy?

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• @WSS said:
    JFC who the hell would try to run OSPF in 2020? It was a burden to run a local network in 16M back in 1995.

Well it's either that or BGP... unless you want to buy into Cisco hardware with EIGRP.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@CamoYoshi said:

@WSS said:

Well it's either that or BGP... unless you want to buy into Cisco hardware with EIGRP.

Static routes and crontab.

• @WSS said:

@CamoYoshi said:

@WSS said:

I mean if you only have a handful of routes you need to populate, that could work too I guess?

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@CamoYoshi said:

@WSS said:

@CamoYoshi said:

@WSS said:

I mean if you only have a handful of routes you need to populate, that could work too I guess?

Just send an ICMP and swap metric based upon results. If it was 1992, I'd probably charge you a grand to set that up. :cold_sweat:

• @WSS said:

@CamoYoshi said:

@WSS said:

@CamoYoshi said:

@WSS said:

Just send an ICMP and swap metric based upon results. If it was 1992, I'd probably charge you a grand to set that up. :cold_sweat:

That sounds so hilariously jank, but I love the idea if you're really desperate for routing, lmao.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@CamoYoshi said:

That sounds so hilariously jank, but I love the idea if you're really desperate for routing, lmao.

You have a 386 DOS box with 3 NE2K transceivers. Also, 16 serial ports.

This is your ugly cousin. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Livingston-PortMaster-2E-Communications-Server-/400327660103

Thanked by (1)dahartigan

• @WSS said:

@CamoYoshi said:

You have a 386 DOS box with 3 NE2K transceivers. Also, 16 serial ports.

This is your ugly cousin. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Livingston-PortMaster-2E-Communications-Server-/400327660103

Oh good lord... put that thing in a museum where it belongs! LOL

• Thanks @WSS, with your cockiness you pointed me towards the right direction. Guess I was too deep into new solutions that I forgot the obvious one!

Time to pull out my rusty shellscript tools.

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• Thrice I have read the title and every time I read mesh vpn as Amish VPN.

Wonder how that would work out

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@vyas said:
    Thrice I have read the title and every time I read mesh vpn as Amish VPN.

Wonder how that would work out

Three mules, guaranteed!

Thanked by (1)vyas