Anyone else hit with the cPanel price increase via OVH with no notice?

tester4tester4 OG
edited February 2020 in General

I have my OVH account setup to automatically take money from my card for invoices, and I only just noticed today that I was charged £99.02 instead of my usual £78.02. So I logon to OVH, check the invoice and they have now increased the license cost of cPanel (100 Account VPS plan) to £25.99 per month EX VAT.

I only host 4 cPanel accounts so would've fit onto the Admin 5 Account one but they don't appear to offer this license, only the Premier one at minimum.

Absolutely no email from them, if I did I would've moved direct with cPanel or another provider. Would complain but last time I opened a billing ticket, it took 5 weeks to receive a response.

Anyone else effected?

Thanked by (1)ionswitch_stan

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Hosting ProviderOG
    edited February 2020

You’ll need to complaint if you want a refund. Completely unprofessional on their part if they indeed provide no notice other than the invoice.

Thanked by (1)tester4
  • Common here in Canada.

Not just hosting but regular bills. Bell Canada is really notorious for it.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• @Clouvider said:
    You’ll need to complaint if you want a refund. Completely unprofessional on their part.

I realised that I may as well open a ticket anyways, even if it takes a month to get a response. I must say I am mildly surprised they have just increased it out of no where with no form of contact first, especially for such a huge company where I assume a lot of people got their cPanel licenses from in addition to their server. I expected it of course, just I also expected notice to be able to move if the price hike was too much.

• @deank said:
    Common here in Canada.

Should be illegal....

• Yeah, that reeks of shady behavior right there. I had a similar thing happen with my dedicated server I had with them a few years back and they quietly tacked on extra charges for things I never ordered (extra IPs, KVM over IP, etc). Had to chargeback against them because they refused to refund it and got all my stuff off their network and never looked back.

Needless to say, not a huge fan of them. Hope they make it right for you on your end.

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• @tester4 said:
    Should be illegal....

Should be. I am one of luckier ones who have a choice in the area, so what I or other fellow Canadians do is switch companies on 2 or 3 year basis. They always have huge discounts for new customers and treat existing customers like shit.

• I just checked my 'Emails received' section in OVH just to make sure I didn't miss the email, since 2019 I have received FOUR emails. Two notice of automatic renewal, and two invoice available in OVH Control Panel.

Nothing about cPanel :/

@tester4 said:

@deank said:
    Common here in Canada.

Should be illegal....

Illegal in the UK, possibly EU-wide; depending where you purchased and which contract/laws apply to your use case.

• @Clouvider said:

@tester4 said:

@deank said:
    Common here in Canada.

Should be illegal....

Illegal in the UK, possibly EU-wide; depending where you purchased and which contract/laws apply to your use case.

I'm in the UK, obviously not going to go to court over £25 but will mention that in the ticket so they understand they have ballsed it up. Thanks!

Thanked by (1)Clouvider
  • The beautiful thing is that it's not even month to month plan, either. It is a 3-year contract.

Lovely, ain't it.

Good luck!
    I’d say you have escalation through your payment provider but that would nuke your account with them, so not really an option... :-(

• When in doubt, sue.

Always sue.

Thanked by (1)tester4

• edited February 2020

I got an email about the pending price rise months ago, so when I was feeling slightly more affluent (very rare), I purchased 3 months in advance. I mentioned it to a (nearly former) hosting provider who took the opportunity to purchase longer than that. ;)

Edit: Slight exaggeration.. Mon 02/12/2019

"Dear Customer,
    As you are using the cPanel solution for your dedicated servers and VPS, we are writing to inform you that the pricing will soon change. The new pricing will be applicable from 01st January 2020 onwards. " etc.

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    I got an email about the pending price rise months ago, so when I was feeling slightly more affluent (very rare), I purchased 3 months in advance. I mentioned it to a (nearly former) hosting provider who took the opportunity to purchase longer than that. ;)

Edit: Slight exaggeration.. Mon 02/12/2019

"Dear Customer,
    As you are using the cPanel solution for your dedicated servers and VPS, we are writing to inform you that the pricing will soon change. The new pricing will be applicable from 01st January 2020 onwards. " etc.

That is weird... I got no email at all.

• Yup, I got that email as well.

• In conclusion, the world hates you @testis4.

• Yeah, it'd seem so. On 02/12/2019 I received 4 emails in total.

[sh91XXX-ovh] OVH: Renewal of your services - sh91XXX-ovh
    [sh91XXX-ovh] [STATEMENT XXXXX]
    [sh91XXX-ovh] Invoice available in the OVH Control Panel
    [sh91XXX-ovh] OVH: sh91XXX-ovh - notice of charge for automatic renewal

Nothing about cPanel.

• Not defending OVH but it happens I guess.

• @tester4 said:
    Yeah, it'd seem so. On 02/12/2019 I received 4 emails in total.

[sh91XXX-ovh] OVH: Renewal of your services - sh91XXX-ovh
    [sh91XXX-ovh] [STATEMENT XXXXX]
    [sh91XXX-ovh] Invoice available in the OVH Control Panel
    [sh91XXX-ovh] OVH: sh91XXX-ovh - notice of charge for automatic renewal

Nothing about cPanel.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't OVH include the cpanel billing in their usual invoice which you received?

• This probably explains why OVH US told me that they only provide the premier license for both dedi and VPS.

I knew OVH offered the solo license, however, when I contacted them two days ago, they said they don't offer it.

OVH world still has the cPanel Admin license listed, but not solo.