Hetzner Online news bytes

Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Hosting ProviderOG

I thought I'd start a discussion here where I can occassionally post smaller bits of Hetzner news, funny and cool pictures, and other random Hetzner stuff.

So here's the first piece of news:
We have our line of Storage Share products that are based on Nextcloud. One of the biggest criticisms when we launched them was that it wasn't possible to use your own domain. But now we are running a beta test for using domains of your choice. To participate in the beta, you need to have a Storage Share package. Then just pick a domain that you want, set up a CNAME record for it, and write us a quick support ticket via the admin interface (konsoleH). Our team will let you know when the domain is active.

There's more info on Storage Share in our wiki.

We're Katie and Lea and we'll do our best to answer questions you have about Hetzner Online. We and not our employer are responsible for any horrible puns and dated cultural references.

Comments

• Is this WebDAV only? And if I'm not on EU, will the 19% tax be waived?

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • I just wanted to say Hetzner.

That's all folks :-)

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• I spayment by Paypal an option?

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • @sanvit said:
    Is this WebDAV only? And if I'm not on EU, will the 19% tax be waived?

They do not charge VAT to those from outside EU AFAIK

Thanked by (2)sanvit Asim

Recommend: SmallWeb|BuyVM|Linode|RamNode

• Hetzner needs to expand to the US

• The US needs to expand to Hetzner.

• @sanvit said:
    Is this WebDAV only? And if I'm not on EU, will the 19% tax be waived?

VAT is automatically removed based on your address.

Thanked by (2)sanvit Hetzner_OL
  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Hosting ProviderOG

@vpsgeek said: They do not charge VAT to those from outside EU AFAIK

There are some exceptions to this (Russia, Belarus, Switzerland, Singapor) See our wiki for more details.

@vyas said: I spayment by Paypal an option?

We accept PayPal, credit card, and bank/wire transfers. In some situations, for example, if a customer is late with payments, we require them to use bank/wire transfers. If I remember correctly, we're not able to set up automatic monthly payments with PayPal. Customers make their PayPal payments manually. Another option, once you have an account, is to change your payment period to something longer, like 6 months, so that you don't have to do the manual payments so often.

@sanvit said: Is this WebDAV only?

Storage Share is based on Nextcloud, so you can use the WebDAV protocol, webinterface or the sync client for uploading files.

--Katie

We're Katie and Lea and we'll do our best to answer questions you have about Hetzner Online. We and not our employer are responsible for any horrible puns and dated cultural references.

@Janevski said: The US needs to expand to Hetzner.

Thanks! It's always nice to know that we're wanted. We are still expanding our DC park in Finland and considering our options for where to go next. We're a privately owned company, which means that we might grow a bit slower than some other companies. There's a lot of places we'd love to be. We'd rather expland a bit more slowly, in an intelligent way, than to accidentally over-expand and have that affect the quality of our products and services. --Katie

• About Hetzner: A reliable company, used them back in 2010, unfortunately I am not longer into dedicated but I will soon have to try their cloud solutions.

About this thread: I think its a very good idea to keep the people informed about the new offers, and I am very happy you also consider this forum as an outlet for your updates. Thank you for supporting our community.

• Katie has such a humorous signature. ;)

Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL

@maddy said: Katie has such a humorous signature.

Thanks. When I used to teach, I would often forget how dated my cultural references were. On days where no one answered questions, and I said, "Bueller.... Bueller... Bueller...." no one would respond. And then that lack of response would make me laugh a little bit because it was actually closer to the scene from the movie that way. I feel like more of my references get recognized in web hosting forums, though. ;) --Katie

Thanked by (5)seriesn maddy Ouji Darwin Asim

• Thank you for the update about that topic. I appreciate that you're finally trying to offer your customers the option to customise their service even more.
    I hope that I can finally discontinue my nginx proxy in front of my Nextcloud. It wasn't working out that well.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@Hetzner_OL said:

Thanks. When I used to teach, I would often forget how dated my cultural references were. On days where no one answered questions, and I said, "Bueller.... Bueller... Bueller...." no one would respond. And then that lack of response would make me laugh a little bit because it was actually closer to the scene from the movie that way. I feel like more of my references get recognized in web hosting forums, though. ;) --Katie

As in, Ferris ?

Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @dahartigan said:
    I just wanted to say Hetzner.

That's all folks :-)

Hetzner increased their cloud prices this month .

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

@AnthonySmith said:

@Hetzner_OL said:

As in, Ferris ?

As in Save Ferris?!

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

@AnthonySmith said: As in, Ferris ?

Who else...?

@WSS said: As in Save Ferris?!

I think the band members were inspired by a part of the movie for their name.

@benj0x said:
    Thank you for the update about that topic. I appreciate that you're finally trying to offer your customers the option to customise their service even more.
    I hope that I can finally discontinue my nginx proxy in front of my Nextcloud. It wasn't working out that well.

That's nice feedback to get. Our team will be happy to get any feedback you can give about the beta. :D

@silkpro said: Hetzner increased their cloud prices this month .

To the best of my knowledge, we haven't. Maybe you are looking at the site from a different country selected in the top left corner...? That would change the VAT prices. --Katie

Did anyone else participate in Global Game Jam this year?

Some members of our team went to a jam site at Tradebye in Ansbach and really enjoyed playing around with this year's theme: repair. And we were proud to help sponsor the event.
    This is just one of the games: Super Repair Bros
    My highest score is only 70, so I bet a few of you at least can beat me. Use the arrow keys to send the yellow car to repair sites --Katie

Talkwalker not only talks the talk, but also walks the walk when it comes to social media monitoring. And they've been using Hetzner from the beginning to help build their business. Check our our newest success story here.

• @Hetzner_OL said:
    We accept PayPal, credit card, and bank/wire transfers. In some situations, for example, if a customer is late with payments, we require them to use bank/wire transfers. If I remember correctly, we're not able to set up automatic monthly payments with PayPal. Customers make their PayPal payments manually. Another option, once you have an account, is to change your payment period to something longer, like 6 months, so that you don't have to do the manual payments so often.
    --Katie

konsoleH doesn't have PayPal, there's only Debit order, Credit Card, and Bank transfer, at least on my account.

@null - You're absolutely right. I sometimes forget that konsoleH does not support PayPal payments. I need to be more careful about how I write out what types of payment we accept.

• @Hetzner_OL said:

@Janevski said: The US needs to expand to Hetzner.

Thanks! It's always nice to know that we're wanted. We are still expanding our DC park in Finland and considering our options for where to go next. We're a privately owned company, which means that we might grow a bit slower than some other companies. There's a lot of places we'd love to be. We'd rather expland a bit more slowly, in an intelligent way, than to accidentally over-expand and have that affect the quality of our products and services. --Katie

You should just take the Finland DC and move it to Estonia lol. 5 cents per kWh, can't beat that ;)

• SagnikSSagnikS Hosting ProviderOG

Out of curiosity, is always-on DDoS mitigation coming anytime soon? Currently, it takes a good minute or two for it to kick in, and it sometimes doesn't kick in at all. Support told me that the delay is supposed to be like this. An always-on DDoS protection would be great and make it actually possible to host popular gameservers.

@SagnikS said:
    Out of curiosity, is always-on DDoS mitigation coming anytime soon? Currently, it takes a good minute or two for it to kick in, and it sometimes doesn't kick in at all. Support told me that the delay is supposed to be like this. An always-on DDoS protection would be great and make it actually possible to host popular gameservers.

I'm not sure if we have anything in the pipeline like you describe. With our DDoS system, we are purposefully non-transparent and try not to publish much information about it. I know that our team is contantly analyzing the system for improvements. But, even if we did make a big change, we might not publish information about it so that we don't attract attention to it.

It's best to talk to our networking team about this. It sounds odd when you say that it "doesn't kick in at all". Our anti-DDoS system is designed to try to provide coverages for the largest amount of customers possible. However, with certain situations, you/the sysadmin may need to take additional precautions to help secure your server. Talk to our team and share your information with them about when it seems the DDoS isn't working. Maybe they'll be able to make some adjustments or give you some rough guidance on anything you can do on your own.

• SagnikSSagnikS Hosting ProviderOG

@Hetzner_OL said:

@SagnikS said:

I'm not sure if we have anything in the pipeline like you describe. With our DDoS system, we are purposefully non-transparent and try not to publish much information about it. I know that our team is contantly analyzing the system for improvements. But, even if we did make a big change, we might not publish information about it so that we don't attract attention to it.

It's best to talk to our networking team about this. It sounds odd when you say that it "doesn't kick in at all". Our anti-DDoS system is designed to try to provide coverages for the largest amount of customers possible. However, with certain situations, you/the sysadmin may need to take additional precautions to help secure your server. Talk to our team and share your information with them about when it seems the DDoS isn't working. Maybe they'll be able to make some adjustments or give you some rough guidance on anything you can do on your own.

Sure thing! In all these years, it has happened only once to me, so it might be a fluke or smth. If it happens again, I'll open another ticket. Thanks for your reply :)

Hi guys, there's a new kid in town! :D Her name's Helena. She's come to Hetzner from a marketing and social media background and is still getting to know the neighborhood here in the web hosting business. She's going to lurk here for a bit with me and gradually start to answer questions on her own. We're really happy to have her working with us! :3

Thanked by (2)Amitz uptime

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@Hetzner_OL said:
    Hi guys, there's a new kid in town! :D Her name's Helena. She's come to Hetzner from a marketing and social media background and is still getting to know the neighborhood here in the web hosting business. She's going to lurk here for a bit with me and gradually start to answer questions on her own. We're really happy to have her working with us! :3

If you want post or PM me the username Helena will be using I will sort the tags out, or if you are both using the same account that is also fine.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

@AnthonySmith said:
    If you want post or PM me the username Helena will be using I will sort the tags out, or if you are both using the same account that is also fine.

I think for now at least we'd like to keep things on one account. I'll still be around for awhile, and if in the future Helena is sick or on vacation or something, I'll fill in. :3

Thanked by (1)InceptionHosting

• havochavoc OGContent Writer
    edited February 2020

@Hetzner_OL said: (on US presence) Thanks! It's always nice to know that we're wanted.

Yes please. Google analytics tells me most of my traffic comes from the US, so yeah don't really want an atlantic ocean worth of latency between server and reader base

@havoc said: Yes please. Google analytics tells me most of my traffic comes from the US, so yeah don't really want an atlantic ocean worth of latency between server and reader base

We are actually exploring options about when and if we will open another location. But you know how we are. We like to keep our cards close to our chest. ;) --Katie