Mac malware threat outpaces Windows

Defend your preferred OS
  1. What will you choose for better security and usability for your computer?42 votes
    1. Mac
      14.29%
    2. Windows
        4.76%
    3. Linux
      61.90%
    4. BSD
        4.76%
    5. I don't need a computer.
      14.29%

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

Comments

• vyasvyas OG
    edited February 2020

Can someone explain what the woman in the Toms... article is trying to do? And how does that relate to malware?

The most important option (potato) is missing...pending that chose the last one

Edit: visited THG after a long time. Thx for the link. Didn’t know they had moved to a new CMS

Thanked by (1)FlamingSpaceJunk
  • Apple/Mac helps you to get girls and you will be worshiped by those who can't afford'em.

Virus? Why would that matter? You don't turn Macs on. You simply leave them as decorative pieces. The sleek brushed aluminum surface and big glossy monitors - you never turn them on. You simply admire them.

Don't forget to purchase Apple care as well because it boosts your charm by 50 points.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• You choose an OS based on preference, it is then up to you how secure you make it. One person will run it as-is out of the box, someone else will start removing and installing to improve security depending on their fear/ability/care level.

Thanked by (1)Harambe
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

I am still personally annoyed that *BSD died, and Solaris was outpaced and destroyed by mismanagement. Truth be told, I think Linux is still kind of a *IX with training wheels.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• Since Mac and Windows are included, I assume the question is about Linux/BSD distribution (one which has a dedicated security team) with a full blown desktop environment, and a desktop user at the end. With this I'd have to go with Windows. I mean it's 2020 and Unix systems don't even have an application firewall.* Any malicious or buggy program can just upload the person's whole home directory without notice...

*Want to challenge this claim? Write or link a guide how a user can do "wget -qO- bench.sh | bash", where wget can download bench.sh, but bench.sh can not access the network tests.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@tgpqd said:
    *Want to challenge this claim? Write or link a guide how a user can do "wget -qO- bench.sh | bash", where wget can download bench.sh, but bench.sh can not access the network tests.

Run everything in a compartment, and disallow access for anything not whitelisted. This isn't a lot different than what else is out there - it's just that most people using *IX don't need to be handheld (or shouldn't need to be) when it comes to basic services.

Show me a person who runs X11 as root, and I'll show you a moron.

Thanked by (1)poisson

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• edited February 2020

@vyas said:
    Can someone explain what the woman in the Toms... article is trying to do? And how does that relate to malware?

=) This is the real question.

Presumably she's trying to make some money, or describing some event which happened over the weekend during a meeting.

• @deank said:
    Apple/Mac helps you to get girls and you will be worshiped by those who can't afford'em.

I finally find the reason why I am single is because every girls in my university are using macbook, usually macbook pro.

Thanked by (1)mobile

Action and Reaction in history

• @elliotc said:

@deank said:
    Apple/Mac helps you to get girls and you will be worshiped by those who can't afford'em.

I finally find the reason why I am single is because every girls in my university are using macbook, usually macbook pro.

too busy reconfiguring selinux?

• @mobile said:
    too busy reconfiguring selinux?

ThinkPad user

Action and Reaction in history

• @tgpqd said:
    Since Mac and Windows are included, I assume the question is about Linux/BSD distribution (one which has a dedicated security team) with a full blown desktop environment, and a desktop user at the end. With this I'd have to go with Windows. I mean it's 2020 and Unix systems don't even have an application firewall.* Any malicious or buggy program can just upload the person's whole home directory without notice...

If we're talking about programs you run on your computer the only true security known to humans is source code audit.
    No application firewall can be 100% secure as malicious read of sensitive data can always be made indistinguishable from legitimate read of sensitive data. And long before that a user would be tired of typing password at every step and disable it.

Anyway, I would like to participate in the challenge just for fun, does it come with some specific bench or do I just use YABS, or do you mean a generic solution for any possible script?

• @poisson said:
    What will you choose for better security and usability for your computer?

KVM of course! bench.sh will still be able to access the network, but at least it won't steal my cookies!

As for usability, I find Windows and Mac UI just plain weird.

• I prefer MacOS as my daily driver, but also have a Thinkpad running Linux and multiple Windows VMs that I use constantly. I use the best tool for the job and if I'm more comfortable/productive on a certain machine/OS I stick with it.

Security is more about how you operate than anything. If you're not clicking everything in sight on torrent sites and downloading sketchy software, you're probably going to be fine.

Thanked by (2)comi poisson

🦍🍌