[PSA] HostDoc - not refunding and filing chargebacks with upstream providers! [IMPORTANT]

Comments

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@Neoon said: edit: 5 Minutes later my bank refunded me

:+1:

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @Neoon

PSA: Use with a credit card from Visa/Mastercard/AMEX (eh) and save the hassle next time when you pay with PayPal. Don't forget, PP automatically claws back the $ from the seller as soon as you charge back.

Of course, debit cards do work, but I'm fairly certain they aren't given the same protections as a credit card. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Man, this HostDoc thing really has been a mess. I'm glad I stopped hoarding new servers and just kept a few boxes from known, reputable providers.

wget https://s.flamz.pw/dl/bench.sh && bash bench.sh

curl https://s.flamz.pw/analytics/bench/stats.php

• dhf> @FlamesRunner said:

Don't forget, PP automatically claws back the $ from the seller as soon as you charge back.

But how though. Only thing I can find is filing a complaint, and HostDoc won't reply.

@debaser said:
    dhf> @FlamesRunner said:

Don't forget, PP automatically claws back the $ from the seller as soon as you charge back.

But how though. Only thing I can find is filing a complaint, and HostDoc won't reply.

When you open a paypal dispute they have about 14 days to reply, if they do not you automatically get the money back.

During the dispute unless the host has great standing with paypal (I do smug grin VIP business) the money is automatically deducted from the host and held by paypal.

You can open the dispute in the resolution center at any time and escalate the dispute to a claim this is what is usually used for when communication is not possible or breaks down.

• @AnthonySmith said:

@debaser said:
    dhf> @FlamesRunner said:

When you open a paypal dispute they have about 14 days to reply, if they do not you automatically get the money back.

During the dispute unless the host has great standing with paypal (I do smug grin VIP business) the money is automatically deducted from the host and held by paypal.

You can open the dispute in the resolution center at any time and escalate the dispute to a claim this is what is usually used for when communication is not possible or breaks down.

Indeed. However, a proper credit card reversal will claw it back from PayPal and essentially skip the dispute process. I usually don't recommend doing this unless you've truly been wronged though as it is very costly to a merchant.

wget https://s.flamz.pw/dl/bench.sh && bash bench.sh

curl https://s.flamz.pw/analytics/bench/stats.php

@FlamesRunner said: Indeed. However, a proper credit card reversal will claw it back from PayPal and essentially skip the dispute process. I usually don't recommend doing this unless you've truly been wronged though as it is very costly to a merchant.

Yep, I would always suggest going through PayPal in these cases though because if the host is hit with a lot all at once there is a good chance PayPal will side with the customer rather than risk chargeback fee's which they may never recover.

If you file a chargeback straight away and PayPal successfully fight it as thats the only option you have given PayPal and you loose, it could impact your relationship with your card issuer and possibly even borrowing ability in the future

• @FlamesRunner said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@debaser said:
    dhf> @FlamesRunner said:

Indeed. However, a proper credit card reversal will claw it back from PayPal and essentially skip the dispute process. I usually don't recommend doing this unless you've truly been wronged though as it is very costly to a merchant.

I didn't do a chargeback on my credit card because I always learned this'll probably cost you your PayPal account (and possibly more). At the time I failed the complaint, I still had the faint hope of getting a reply from HostDoc. This won't be happening, so now I've escalated it to a claim as per @AnthonySmith's post.

And now we wait.

• I filed disputes 4 days ago, then escalated to claims today. Let's see if PP helps.

• looks like my vps isn't responding anymore..rip

the end is nigh

• MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

@mobile said:
    the end is nigh

has been nigh

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• I'm still able to connect to my SGP VPN.
    I guess the i7 will be up another 2 weeks.

• @vimalware said:
    I'm still able to connect to my SGP VPN.

Lol. Spoke too soon. Down 2 hrs after I posted that.

This is why I run LUKS crypt; Solves the data wipe problem with no labour.

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • Can someone write a summary about the hostdoc case, because I'm interested in, but I don't have the time to read all of those pages here and at LET.

https://duck.com (aff)
    https://ecosia.org (aff) Plant trees from home.
    "If you are not paying for a product then you are the product."

@g4m3r said:
    Can someone write a summary about the hostdoc case, because I'm interested in, but I don't have the time to read all of those pages here and at LET.

tl;dr version.

• Hostdoc had a technical issue that was allowing customers to view other customers details in the billing portal.
    • As it transpired this has happened a few times and people have quietly told them about it and it keeps happening.
    • Hostdoc only seemed to take it seriously when it was made very public.
    • Hostdoc had a bit of a public meltdown and decided it was to overwhelming to deal with and closed.
    • Hostdoc said they would refund all customers, it seems they only refunded a few.
    • Hostdoc said they would keep servers online for a month, a lot of their servers are already down.
    • Hostdoc started to file charge backs against their own upstream service providers for the server leases over the last 6 months to claw back some money.
    • Hostdoc maintains they had a profitable business, we all laughed and then found out the owner has a history of doing similar things.
    • People have started filing their own charge backs/disputes to get the money back they obviously dont plan to refund.

I think that covers it.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    found out the owner has a history of doing similar things.

I must have also missed that part, did he run some hosting company before where he did the same thing?

Thanked by (1)skorous

Recommend: SmallWeb|BuyVM|Linode|RamNode

@vpsgeek said:

@AnthonySmith said:
    found out the owner has a history of doing similar things.

I must have also missed that part, did he run some hosting company before where he did the same thing?

Someone posted some links to it, I did not look in to it much.

• Thanked by (1)uptime
  • love those vps you already have for a long time and don't look anywhere else ....

• @vimalware said:

I'm still able to connect to my SGP VPN.

You jinxed it! SG3 is offline.

Thanked by (1)vimalware

Ionswitch.com | High Performance VPS in Seattle and Dallas since 2018

• Erith EPYC is still online. Migrated from Xeon to EPYC on 27th of January. It’ll be gone in 12 days.

• Someone should do a time line of when the servers are getting knocked off and maybe take bets

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• ionswitch_stanionswitch_stan OGRetired
    edited February 2020

Someone should do a time line of when the servers are getting knocked off and maybe take bets

I posted one in another thread.

Thanked by (1)poisson

• @ionswitch_stan said:

Someone should do a time line of when the servers are getting knocked off and maybe take bets

I posted one in another thread. I should have bought hostdoc-deathpool.com and setup anonymous bitcoin betting

It's not too late..

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

https://status.kvm.doctor/

Shit's going down.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• @ionswitch_stan said:

I posted one in another thread.

Taking bets? Free ionswitch VPS if correctly predicted?

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• @poisson said:
    Taking bets? Free ionswitch VPS if correctly predicted?

Now we are talking.

• ionswitch_stanionswitch_stan OGRetired
    edited February 2020

@poisson @FAT32 that wouldn’t be nice.

But a death pool is a death pool. Call the time of death of Dallas Gold as noted in Hetrix in the status page within 45 minutes (+/-).

• I'll exclude myself on the basis that if I was correct, it would be easy to argue that I rigged it. I don't have access but I do have some knowledge. I also still get emails from the live chat...

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• ClouviderClouvider Hosting ProviderOG

@dahartigan said:
    I also still get emails from the live chat...

You still haven’t blocked them? Wow.

• @Clouvider said:

@dahartigan said:
    I also still get emails from the live chat...

You still haven’t blocked them? Wow.

They go straight to spam, that's blocked enough for me to notice when they finally stop. The real question is why are they being emailed to me still?