Vultr claims full perpetual commercial rights over all hosted content

imokimok OG
edited March 27 in Industry News

Quoting Reddit:

If you've got any servers running on Vultr, you may not want to accept the new terms of service.

Vultr's new agreement requires its customers to fork over rights to our apps/software/data/anything hosted on the Vultr cloud platform. That goes way too far. No other datacenter company requires this.

See: https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted/comments/1bouuv7/warning_vultr_a_major_cloud_provider_is_now/

https://www.vultr.com/legal/tos/

Section 12:

You hereby grant to Vultr a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, fully paid-up, worldwide license (including the right to sublicense
through multiple tiers) to use, reproduce, process, adapt, publicly perform, publicly display, modify, prepare derivative works, publish, transmit
and distribute each of your User Content, or any portion thereof, in any form, medium or distribution method now known or hereafter existing, known
or developed, and otherwise use and commercialize the User Content in any way that Vultr deems appropriate, without any further consent, notice and/or
compensation to you or to any third parties, for purposes of providing the Services to you.
Thanked by (1)Janevski
Tagged:

Comments

• @imok said:

Section 12:

You hereby grant to Vultr a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, fully paid-up, worldwide license (including the right to sublicense
    through multiple tiers) to use, reproduce, process, adapt, publicly perform, publicly display, modify, prepare derivative works, publish, transmit
    and distribute each of your User Content, or any portion thereof, in any form, medium or distribution method now known or hereafter existing, known
    or developed, and otherwise use and commercialize the User Content in any way that Vultr deems appropriate, without any further consent, notice and/or
    compensation to you or to any third parties, for purposes of providing the Services to you.

But that's been there since like 3 years ago :smiley:

http://web.archive.org/web/20210925090042/https://www.vultr.com/legal/tos/

Thanked by (1)imok

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• @TheDP said: But that's been there since like 3 years ago

Updated the title :)

And it probably refers to the content of your website. But big companies are evil, so maybe not.

• Vultr can eat me

Thanked by (2)Janevski host_c

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!! | Don't be a jerk, let YetiNode do the work.

• the very last part should not be overlooked: "for purposes of providing the Services to you."

Thanked by (1)xvps
  • havochavoc OGContent Writer

@TheDP said:

@imok said:

Section 12:

But that's been there since like 3 years ago :smiley:

http://web.archive.org/web/20210925090042/https://www.vultr.com/legal/tos/

Interesting - so I guessed the force ToS acceptance they pushed this week was something else.

I guess they were ahead of the times with shit AI ToS then...

• FCUK them all... just closed my account and let them know "Your Forced TOCs are Draconian... I DO NOT AGREE and will make sure you do not exist for me and my clients/friends/relatives anymore"

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Hosting Provider
    edited March 28

This was posted on OGF.

There seems to be a bit of a disconnect between the legal language and our trust and safety’s team intention. We will clean up the legal language ASAP to avoid the conspiracy theories from propagating further. The only interest we have in your data is making sure it’s safe, secure, and reliably accessible for you at all times.

-DA (Founder and CEO)

Thanked by (2)runbiscuit host_c
  • sad. this provider is my go-to for my testing environments, if another provider don't have this weird bullshit, why would you use vultr.

I still have yet notice LES provider have terraform support for on-demand deployment, is this feature really "too much" for low end level?

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• @Encoders said: sad. this provider is my go-to for my testing environments, if another provider don't have this weird bullshit, why would you use vultr.

why do you jump so quick to a conclusion lol, "for purposes of providing the Services to you", I'm guessing you have zero idea what that means or maybe if one explained it to you, you still wouldn't grasp it lol

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

They changed the terms now.

Unrelated - tried their managed k8s offering...surprisingly easy to use

Thanked by (1)imok
  • @GirlButGuyIRL said:

@Encoders said: sad. this provider is my go-to for my testing environments, if another provider don't have this weird bullshit, why would you use vultr.

why do you jump so quick to a conclusion lol, "for purposes of providing the Services to you", I'm guessing you have zero idea what that means or maybe if one explained it to you, you still wouldn't grasp it lol

sure thing internet though guy, I'd prefer to use provider with better terms as it's easier that way. a lot of provider can easily compete in price with vultr.

@havoc said:
    They changed the terms now.

Unrelated - tried their managed k8s offering...surprisingly easy to use

yup, the term is written better for future user. and it's a good lesson for everyone to check the ToS even without getting pestered with the persistent pop-up.
    heck even these days you can use chartGTP to chew the entire agreement page, and make it point out which agreement is risky for you (as customer). no need to ask GirlButGuyIRL for detailed explanation :trollface:

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.