Looking for a small UK/EU VM for a personal Nextcloud

Hi all,

As in the subject title, I'm looking for a small VM in the UK or EU for the purposes of installing a single-user Nextcloud for personal use only, for syncing documents and spreadsheets rather than large media files.

I'd like it to be with a provider that's been around for a while and is going to be around for a while (so no HostDoc type providers with unsustainable pricing). I don't have a specific budget in mind, but I'd like to pay quarterly or longer rather than monthly if possible.

Spec:

• UK location preferred, EU location OK
  • 512MB or 1GB RAM
  • 5GB disk
  • Negligible transfer (500GB per month is more than enough)
  • 1x IPv4
  • Debian thx, php selekter ok

Open to any and all offers and deals :) x

Comments

• For UK I would go with @AnthonySmith - can check the latest UK offer here (although not sure if it's still live) https://talk.lowendspirit.com/discussion/545/nvme-ssd-kvm-uk-ddos-protected-free-da-50-off-free-2nd-ip-or-double-disk#latest

Otherwise I would recommend @Francisco (BuyVM) in Luxembourg - connectivity to UK has been good from my previous testing. Although stock is quite limited for the LU location most of the time, currently 0 stock https://my.frantech.ca/cart.php?gid=39

🦍🍌

• Oneprovider are doing no setup fees on small dedis just now - great for Nextcloud, if you stretch the budget a wee bit.
    Otherwise, either of the above gets my vote.

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• vyasvyas OG
    edited February 2020

Owncube is a good though
    you will have to see which plan suits your need.
    https://owncube.com/

For 5GB storage only, why not opt for a free tier plan from one of the nextcloud/owncloud providers for starters? Are there specific reasons for incurring the overhead of a vps just for nextcloud instance ?

https://nextcloud.com/signup/

Otherwise there is e.email (edit: they are new) or you can set up a nextcloud instance on aws lightsail .

Edit:

Hetzner https://www.hetzner.de/storage/storage-share

Or get a shared / reseller hosting plan- as long as provider has no objections to you running nextcloud for personal use, it should be good.

Edit 2:
    If intention is file storage / transfer only then pcloud Free tier more than meets your needs.
    And would recommend @koofr any day. They have been around a while.

koofr.eu.
    Awesome apps for win, mac, linux, ios and android

Edit 3: owncloud providers

https://owncloud.org/hosting-partners/

Edit4:
    If you do want to go the vps—> Nextcloud route, then

liteserver.nl haven’t used their service myself, but have read good things. They have a 25 percent discount, so plans could be little under 4 euros/ month.

Also, @mikeA had a deal for France. You may want to search it : it’s in the threads somewhere.

Thanked by (2)uptime AK_KWH
  • vpsgeekvpsgeek OG
    edited February 2020

@Harambe said:
    For UK I would go with @AnthonySmith - can check the latest UK offer here (although not sure if it's still live) https://talk.lowendspirit.com/discussion/545/nvme-ssd-kvm-uk-ddos-protected-free-da-50-off-free-2nd-ip-or-double-disk#latest

I wish @AnthonySmith would bring those back even if very limited in quantity as the offer you mentioned has expired. Recommend OP to get it from InceptionHosting as the pricing is fair even without promo codes

Recommend: SmallWeb|BuyVM|Linode|RamNode

• @vyas

nice one ...

re5pekt!

Thanked by (1)vyas

HS4LIFE (+ (* 3 4) (* 5 6))

• AK_KWHAK_KWH Hosting ProviderOG

2Gb ram
    20Gb SSD
    1Tb bandwidth
    2Vcores cpu
    France location
    18$/6 month
    Let me know if you are interested

Thanked by (1)uptime

KhanWebHost Cheap Shared Hosting | Cheap KVM VPS (DE,UK,US,FR) | KVM Sale - LES Offers

• @uptime said:
    @vyas

nice one ...

re5pekt!

Learning from the best sir, learning from the best

Thanked by (2)uptime AK_KWH
  • @VPSensational said:
    Hi all,

As in the subject title, I'm looking for a small VM in the UK or EU for the purposes of installing a single-user Nextcloud for personal use only, for syncing documents and spreadsheets rather than large media files.

I'd like it to be with a provider that's been around for a while and is going to be around for a while (so no HostDoc type providers with unsustainable pricing). I don't have a specific budget in mind, but I'd like to pay quarterly or longer rather than monthly if possible.

Spec:

• UK location preferred, EU location OK
    • 512MB or 1GB RAM
    • 5GB disk
    • Negligible transfer (500GB per month is more than enough)
    • 1x IPv4
    • Debian thx, php selekter ok

Open to any and all offers and deals :) x

Hey Bud,
    Join the family :).

We just added some fresh stock for our 0.5G plan @$24/year or $2.50/mo https://nexusbytes.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=18 :) (Germany)

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • Or if you just need some nextcloud accounts and would happen to benefit from email hosting as well, MXroute offers NextCloud, you get a generous 10 GB per email account you create IIRC. :)

• What @vyas said.

Else I can't vouch enough for @seriesn. No fuss hosting(TM)

@seriesn for realsies please trademark the above :wink:

Thanked by (1)seriesn

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• Please check out our Netherlands location and use CLOUD25 when you sign up!

Thanked by (1)uptime

RamNode: High Performance Cloud VPS
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection

• @terrorgen said:
    What @vyas said.

Else I can't vouch enough for @seriesn. No fuss hosting(TM)

@seriesn for realsies please trademark the above :wink:

Darn it!

• SMARTHOSTSMARTHOST Hosting ProviderOG
    edited February 2020

KVM NVME SSD Linux VPS - DETAILS
    10GB NVME SSD Disk Space
    1GB RAM
    1000GB Bandwidth
    SolusVM Control Panel
    Fully Customizable Resources
    CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, Fedora, & more...
    ORDER NOW - Starting at $2.95/monthly

SERVICE LOCATIONS: Los Angeles CA, Las Vegas NV, Dallas TX, Jacksonville FL, Herndon VA, Denver CO, Buffalo NY, Boston MA, Piscataway NJ, Chicago IL, Seattle WA, Wolverhampton UK, & Amsterdam NL. - DATA CENTER DETAILS

Thanked by (2)uptime AlwaysSkint

SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Join our Resale Program
    https://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD KVM VPS - $2.95/month!

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited February 2020

several soiid recommendations - and some excellent providers stepping up with offers in this very thread.

Really good to see happening here.

That is all.

:)

EDIT:

also ...

• vyasvyas OG
    edited February 2020

OP has mentioned UK/EU as location but thought of mentioning the gratis Nextcloud 10 gb storage by Spry Servers in the U S. I haven’t used it myself, but it’s there and they are in this forum

@seriesn
    I took OP's comment (I'd like it to be with a provider that's been around for a while and is going to be around for a while ) in the letter and not the spirit, and that is an oops!

To make up for it: @VPSensational Nexusbtytes when paid for annual plan is 10 GB, and if you twist a discount code or two out of the threads here, you can get the base setup for < 2 US Dollars/month on a Ryzen. + NVMe.

Or,

(below is strictly for fun project, but doable if it fits the budget )

Get the "buy two, get one free offer) and for less than $ 40 / year (including discounts) set up a NC instance on all 3 locations : 1 EU (Germany), 2 in US (on either coast). Now, you get a 5 GB Backup folder, and a backup of backup, plus a backup of a backup of a backup for free!

Question for the wise

I had a question for those who have set up NC/OC on a VPS. How do you do it?
    Do you do Stock OS install + LEMP/LAMP + Nextcloud?
    Or
    Ubuntu 18.04 server with nextcloud option?

Do you use disk encryption?

Now about that managerial nextcloud....

Thanked by (1)seriesn
  • Docker nextcloud behind docker nginx

Action and Reaction in history

• Nothing can beat FREE right?
    https://www.bacloud.com/en/cloud-drive
    I've been using their FREE tier for some time now and it works absolutely great. I plan on upgrading once I go over the 10GB limit.

Thanked by (2)uptime vyas

DOS = HIGH?!?
    I knew it was on something!

• @vyas said:
    Question for the wise

I had a question for those who have set up NC/OC on a VPS. How do you do it?
    Do you do Stock OS install + LEMP/LAMP + Nextcloud?

This is what I do. It definitely requires more work than a "ready-made solution", but I feel like I have a better oversight of the moving parts.

Or
    Ubuntu 18.04 server with nextcloud option?

I guess that this would be some template offered by a provider. I find that templates vary a lot in quality, but there are some that are thoughtfully put together.

If I were inclined to use a "ready-made solution", I'd probably choose TurnKey Linux:

https://www.turnkeylinux.org/nextcloud or https://www.turnkeylinux.org/owncloud

Not at this time.

Thanked by (1)vyas

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited February 2020

@uptime said:
    several soiid recommendations - and some excellent providers stepping up with offers in this very thread.

Really good to see happening here.

That is all.

:)

EDIT:

also ...

Also forgot to mention @freerangecloud for NL location (and quoting previous list just to tag the referenced providers)

@vyas said: [several good questions and suggestions ...]

In general, I am in the habit of using full disk encryption unless there is a good reason not to (ie, some situation involving absolutely minimal resources / requiring low complexity / low effort / etc)

I don't have any experience installing or administering nextcloud or owncloud so can't say whether FDE would complicate things.

And I rather not run ubuntu if I can help it, but that's just me. If I'm looking for some setup shortcuts I might try a yunohost install to get something going quickly and have a working config to compare to. But that's a whole 'nother can of worms!

My baseline understanding is that when planning to run nextcloud (etc), it is prudent to anticipate some CPU use (ie if much checksumming, making thumbnails of images, and so forth. Disk encryption, if any, may not actually be the most significant factor for CPU load in this scenario, especially if AES flag is enabled.)

And ... I have been happily idling SpryServers free nextcloud service for a while now.

Thanked by (1)vyas

• There's some awesome suggestions in this thread! @seriesn (nexus bytes) and @SMARTHOST are 2 of the best IMO and either would be perfect.

Thanked by (1)seriesn

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• @vyas said:
    and if you twist a discount code or two out of the threads here

To be fair, I think WHMCS lets you only enter one discount code :# (and most will be expired too).

• Webmin on debian for Nexcloud, with encryption. None of that docker crap. What's the point of Ubuntu server any way? (Serious question.)

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited February 2020

@AlwaysSkint said:
    What's the point of Ubuntu server any way? (Serious question.)

Maybe worth breaking off to another thread, but ... using Ubuntu sometimes can make access to proprietary drivers more straightforward than (for instance) Debian. (I've run into this with GPUs. Not exactly a "typical" server, but one that I care about, so ....)

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint

• vyasvyas OG
    edited February 2020

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Webmin on debian for Nexcloud, with encryption. None of that docker crap. What's the point of Ubuntu server any way? (Serious question.)

I prefer Debian, but almost every managed infrastructure provider limits to Ubuntu. Gridpane, Runcloud, even the default lightsail cms installs IIRC (amazon and ubuntu are a different matter altogether).

When we were hiring for our site and content infrastructure, the recruitment agency put together the role description with the usual jargon, but they mentioned Ubuntu in four places.

“Ubuntu is the industry standard. You will find majority of the candidates Ubuntu.” The agency rep said.
    I replied, “but I prefer Debian.”
    “No sir, believe me Ubuntu is the best.” Came the reply

The conversation and their engagement ended there.

Back to topic
    The reason I mentioned Ubuntu server is because I have seen option for Nextcloud in a couple if instances. I had accidentally chosen 18.04 sever edition template for a provider last week, saw it there too.

(edit: corrected typos and autocorrects)

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • edited February 2020

Personally, I also prefer Debian, but arguably, Ubuntu is more user-friendly, particularly on the desktop.

I find Ubuntu Server slightly obnoxious, for example, with all of those login messages by default, but perhaps that's just me. =)

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• So what's the consensus on the best free Nextcloud service? (I've always run my own ownCloud/Nextcloud, but I'm curious about the free options.)

Thanked by (1)vyas

• vyasvyas OG
    edited February 2020

@Sova mentioned bacloud. I have used NC on owncube in the past, Germany based, would recommend them.
    @uptime gives thumbs up to Spry Servers . That's NA
    @poisson / @fat32 any recommendations for free Nextcloud/Owncloud hosting in Asia?

Personally
    currently trying out NC install on a Reseller hosting plan that was idling.

Edit: Found this list on Github, adding it here since most of the discussion is around NC ...also corrected the incorrect attribution

https://github.com/nextcloud/providers

Thanked by (2)uptime angstrom
  • havochavoc OGContent Writer

@angstrom said:

So what's the consensus on the best free Nextcloud service? (

If I'm not mistaken you can hook it into OneDrive etc...so any smallish VPS should do for hosting the actual running software

• @havoc said:

@angstrom said:

So what's the consensus on the best free Nextcloud service? (

If I'm not mistaken you can hook it into OneDrive etc...so any smallish VPS should do for hosting the actual running software

Yes, I know, but I was just wondering about free Nextcloud services. If someone just wants a personal Nextcloud, a VPS may well be overkill and a free Nextcloud service may suffice (even if I personally have reservations about using a free service).

• VPS for only a nextcloud might overkill, but I host my nextcloud, gitea and bitwardenrs on a single node.

Action and Reaction in history