Solus.io decides to burn the market down with new pricing

Comments

• debaserdebaser OG
    edited February 2020

So, basically this would mean a $1-$1.50 price hike per user. High but not so insane that the vast majority of providers wouldn’t do it. And that’s how they get you.

• @AnthonySmith said: If $6 p/month per core is what gets me to a Vultr/hetzner cloud style end user experience I am ok with that.

This, whilst everyone is complaining about the price, the opportunities are overlooked. The segment that providers (like you) who predominantly operate in the lower end of the market are missing out on due to control panel functionality is a significant one.

Those that want backups, snapshots, SSH key integration, install Worpdress instantly and so on. All that Vultr/DO/Hetzner type functionality. It's a huge opportunity if the software lives up to the promises.

Thanked by (1)Abdullah
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@seanho said:
    As an end user, I find lobster (LunaNode's panel) a beauty to use. I don't know about WHMCS integration or monthly/annual billing, though. https://github.com/LunaNode/lobster

LunaNode's panel is superb imho.

• The only thing that I’m afraid of as an end user is that overselling will increase. More users per core could become the new revenue model due to this pricing.

• williewillie OG
    edited February 2020

@Lee said: Those that want backups, snapshots, SSH key integration, install Worpdress instantly and so on. All that Vultr/DO/Hetzner type functionality. It's a huge opportunity if the software lives up to the promises.

Solus is more for starting and stopping VM's and that sort of thing. You're thinking of cpanel. There are some reasnable alternatives to cpanel, like DirectAdmin (proprietary) and VestaCP (free).

• joepie91joepie91 OGServices Provider

Well, this was inevitable.

Unfortunately CVM is nowhere near done either, considering the lack of funding (-> time) over the years...

• @willie said: You're thinking of cpanel.

No, I'm not.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@Lee said:

@AnthonySmith said: If $6 p/month per core is what gets me to a Vultr/hetzner cloud style end user experience I am ok with that.

This, whilst everyone is complaining about the price, the opportunities are overlooked. The segment that providers (like you) who predominantly operate in the lower end of the market are missing out on due to control panel functionality is a significant one.

Those that want backups, snapshots, SSH key integration, install Worpdress instantly and so on. All that Vultr/DO/Hetzner type functionality. It's a huge opportunity if the software lives up to the promises.

Indeed, I am excited to see what plesk ultimately include in .io that adds value to customers, I just hope as it expands it becomes a modular licensing module like $6 p/core baseline, $10 for SAN/cluster features etc , extra €2 p/core for their admittedly market leader in wordpress automation, if they add in things like the cloudflare api for automation of railgun for VM's then it will make the competition seem in the dark ages.

It really does have to be about added value for me though, I am genuinely excited to see what it ultimately looks like.

I think it is very important that people do not just see this as a solusvm price hike, its a new product, maybe even keeping the "solus" name was a mistake to keep the differentiation but i am no marketing pro.

I would look at it more like a new opportunity and an optional one, if they do decide to dump v1 which I seriously doubt, then it will create a HUGE gap that will be filled because the money will suddenly be there with a ready made customer base for someone else and they must know that, even if that did not happen, as much as many of us dont like virtualizor, it is a viable option with a solusvm importer and again, plesk know this so why would they just decide not to keep v1 going, it must pay well after all :)

'still lengthy' tl;dr

If you use v1 now, don't worry that is unlikely to go anywhere and will always be the better product for the lowend market, if you have been waiting with baited breath for the last 6 years for the fabled v2 (io) you need to now consider it as an enterprize product that you can ALSO offer and only if you want too, with the price it will cost overall anyone using it will not be competing in the same market space as you anyway so it will not impact you if you decide not to use it.

I cant sell services at the same price as I do now if I use solus.io my E5 nodes ill increase from $120 p/year to $1440 p/year in license fee's, that has to be made up in the pricing.

Thanked by (3)Lee uptime vimalware

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• Virtualizor offers many of those above mentioned features (software installer, snapshot etc.)

Just saying.

• @seriesn said: Virtualizor offers many of those above mentioned features (software installer, snapshot etc.)

Why isn't everyone ditching SVM1 for that then?

Thanked by (1)Clouvider
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

@Lee said:

@seriesn said: Virtualizor offers many of those above mentioned features (software installer, snapshot etc.)

Why isn't everyone ditching SVM1 for that then?

The only response I can give to that is a big old sigh.

• @SmallWeb said: The only response I can give to that is a big old sigh.

The answer is that providers know it is there, have looked at it and said, no.

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider
    edited February 2020

@Lee said:

@SmallWeb said: The only response I can give to that is a big old sigh.

In my eyes it's an example of a product built to fit gaps in the market with so much potential that's just sorta "meh" after all these years.

It's never hurt me bad enough that I'd pick Solus instead though.

Thanked by (2)Lee vimalware
  • MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

@Lee said:

I just don't want to deal with the hassle of migrating really. But eventually it will have to happen to something.

Thanked by (1)Lee

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• I have had a quick play about with it, it is not a LE* product at $5 per core that is for sure (I think it's worth more than that and I am sure the price will go up) so I suspect as @Francisco said earlier SVM1 will remain although you will likely see a 2 or 3 times increase to the price.

They know they have the budget end covered with SVM1, no point removing that and allowing another panel to muscle in, although we may see some development of SVM1 now just to keep people focused on it.

I still see a real opportunity for some providers to carve out a new spot for themselves whilst remaining competitive against the usual actors already there (DO/Vultr/Linode/OVH/Hetzner). No, it won't be at LE* prices but then it shouldn't be.

Thanked by (2)Clouvider Ympker
  • Hi.

I found this while searching for info, can we install it yet or will it just be a set of screenshots or demo?

Using virtualizor now but it is too basic and often fails in many areas, OnApp is to much money and it looked a bit dated still running on 2.32 which they told me was for stable but still 2.32!

I hope this is the in between product we need.

• @kentweb said: can we install it yet or will it just be a set of screenshots or demo?

https://www.solus.io/public-technical-preview/

• Thank you.

I just ordered a few SoYouStart dedicated servers to test it on.

• vpsgeekvpsgeek OG
    edited February 2020

While I do respect Phill because of his skills & talents but still wouldn't have touched it even if it was $ 2.00 unlimited cores because the venture capitalists who own their parent company Plesk have proven again & again that they are outright ***holes & love to shit on the face of paying customers.

Recommend: SmallWeb|BuyVM|Linode|RamNode

• Having played with it all a bit more in the last hour, actually quite impressed with what they have done. Looking forward to seeing it out there once released.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Saw this message on their site.

"Besides having launched SolusIO, we have NO plans to stop maintaining and supporting SolusVM. You will be able to migrate to SolusIO which we recommend once it reaches stability and the feature set that suits your business, however, we won’t force you to migrate."

Thanked by (1)sonic
  • @jarland said: I think Fleio is what @Nick_A is using. It's good stuff.

Yep, agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if they branch out beyond OpenStack to capture some of the Solus market.

Thanked by (2)jarland vimalware

RamNode: High Performance Cloud VPS
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection

@Nick_A said:

@jarland said: I think Fleio is what @Nick_A is using. It's good stuff.

Yep, agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if they branch out beyond OpenStack to capture some of the Solus market.

I would pay for that.

Yours truly.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@Lee said:
    Saw this message on their site.

"Besides having launched SolusIO, we have NO plans to stop maintaining and supporting SolusVM. You will be able to migrate to SolusIO which we recommend once it reaches stability and the feature set that suits your business, however, we won’t force you to migrate."

Fantastic news that they have an import feature planned and with WHMCS being part of the same company the automation of that side has no doubt been considered as well.

That is the big thing that lets the solusvm import function in virtualizor, it does a VERY bad job on the WHMCS side.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@Lee said:

A couple of things I think holding providers back from migrating.
    • the migration
    • the fact that Virtualizor has had a track record of not doin reality checks before releasing new versions.
    • solus is stable, not much happening, but shit works.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• @mikho said: he fact that Virtualizor has had a track record of not doin reality checks before releasing new versions.

Seen that more than once, then there is a reactive rush to fix issues. Not a good approach.

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@Lee said:

@mikho said: he fact that Virtualizor has had a track record of not doin reality checks before releasing new versions.

Seen that more than once, then there is a reactive rush to fix issues. Not a good approach.

I’ve had my fair share of these situations.
    They have pretty fast released a patch that they emailed me, the official release is then included in the next release.

In more then one case, they haven’t acknowledged the importance of a fix.

Example: the serial console for OVZ7.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• @Francisco is that time to market Stallion.

@Hxxx said:
    @Francisco is that time to market Stallion.

he's better off keeping it private.

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee

Yours truly.

• spliticesplitice Hosting ProviderOG

There is nothing wrong with $/per core. A target of $1-2 would likely have gone over well. $6 is just laughable. Pretty much the only people who could afford that are massive oversellers. For them it's probably only 10c per VM...

X4B - DDoS Protection: Affordable Anycast DDoS protection including Layer 7 mitigation with PoPs in the Europe, Asia, North and South America.
    Latest Offer: Brazil Launch 2020 Offer