Cloudflare Alternatives

I have been using the free Cloudflare plan for most of my domains for what seems like forever, not unhappy with them, I just use it for basic DNS.

Is there a good reason to use something else out there? If so, what?

Don't really keep up with other offerings out there, just interested to see if I am missing something better.

Thanked by (1)uptime

Comments

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider
    edited February 2020

If it works it works. If you want to be particular about who you use then maybe there's reason.

I don't claim it to be a good one, but I'm slowly moving away from them because I just don't use 99% of their features and I'm not a fan of the UI.

For DNS I just DIY.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • LeeLee OG
    edited February 2020

In honesty, I don't use the bulk of the features either, it has just always been and easy to use. Don't mind the UI. I just noticed some different names being mentioned recently, clouddns and others, just wondered if I was missing out on something that may be of benefit that people were using something else.

DIY is fine, but if someone else wants to do it for me and not charge then I am ok with that. One less job.

Of course, I could go and look, but you know, LES has more space now so I wanted to use it and ask the question :)

• havochavoc OGContent Writer
    edited February 2020

Provides a bit of caching and does catch some attacks and gives some stats that aren't javascript based. (which makes for an interesting contrast vs google analytics)

Don't really see why one would want to switch unless something else does that plus more?

I think their main CDN competitors are fastly and akamai

• @havoc said: which makes for an interesting contrast vs google analytics

Indeed

• the free plan is just ok. it fits my needs pretty well. I also for a couple of times found cf added some new features to the dashboard to free-plan users.

• Bunnycdn ##
    Oops probably no free

• @SmallWeb said:
    If it works it works. If you want to be particular about who you use then maybe there's reason.

I don't claim it to be a good one, but I'm slowly moving away from them because I just don't use 99% of their features and I'm not a fan of the UI.

For DNS I just DIY.

How do you manage your DNS?

• I know this thread is about DNS, but please let me take a second and vent my bitterness of Incapsula removing their free plan :-(

Thanked by (1)Lee
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited February 2020
  • Will just stick with Cloudflare then, as I say it's fine for what I use it for, does not appear I am missing out on anything elsewhere.

• AmitzAmitz OG
    edited February 2020

I have not used Cloudflare for a while - Is there a limit of domains and/or subdomains per account that they impose? Might use it DNS-only...

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• @Amitz said: I have not used Cloudflare for a while - Is there a limit of domains and/or subdomains per account that they impose? Might use it DNS-only...

This suggests not.

Hello, Thank you for contacting Cloudflare Support. Technically, there is no limit to the number of domains you can add to your account.

Thanked by (1)Amitz
  • havochavoc OGContent Writer

@Amitz said: Is there a limit of domains and/or subdomains per account that they impose?

Nope. The basics are pretty thoroughly free.

And even the cool stuff has free tier allowances in some cases. e.g. cloud workers. Haven't tried it yet but they can do stuff like re-write subdomain.domain.com to domain.com/subdir on the fly etc

Thanked by (1)Amitz
  • Thank you both!

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• @hopeful said:
    I know this thread is about DNS, but please let me take a second and vent my bitterness of Incapsula removing their free plan :-(

The free plan wasn't good anyways, get attacked once and you're out.

• @tr1cky your still alive ... long time no tricks :)