Online bookmark manager that stores page content

Hi

I'm looking for a free online bookmark manager that would index and store the content of the page.
Something like index and permanent copy from raindrop.io.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• WSSWSS OGRetired

You mean like archive.is and a local bookmark?

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• No.

When I find interesting articles, I keep them in the browser bookmark or using raindrop.io, but with the amount of articles we keep, it's difficult to find them later, because the search only searches in the title.
    What raindrop.io pro or pocket premium does is to index the content of the page, allowing in the future a complete search for the content of the article.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

I see. Well, no. I don't without keeping a direct archive yourself.

Thanked by (1)nfn

• mhubudmhubud OG
    edited February 2020

This is from some research/testing I did on bookmark/page cache storage a year ago. So some things probably have changed/improved for a couple of them. Several of self-hosted. Perhaps it'll be useful to you though.

Useful Links:
    Great references of bookmarking, web archiving, and more:
    https://github.com/pirate/ArchiveBox/wiki/Web-Archiving-Community

WebArchiving list:
    https://github.com/iipc/awesome-web-archiving

ArchiveBox:
    https://github.com/pirate/ArchiveBox

Web archiving software comparison:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FqxwaZnIhhQ7jDCC-W64NMRf5rDeh2Shx3u01MsBmTQ/edit#gid=0

WorldBrain Memex (sometimes use: https://github.com/WorldBrain/Memex

Floccus: https://github.com/marcelklehr/floccus

FYI: For pages I really want to keep copies of, I still use evernote for those. I've tested every clipper and it's still the best/most accurate/great slim-down mode too. I keep them in 4 categorized notebooks so I can search them with an already narrowed scope. One of the notebooks is dedicated for offline access so pages I put in there are automatically available on my phone as well. But yes, I pay for evernote. It's not the solution I want, but it's still the best for my workflow.

Some rough notes from back then:
    Services

• Bookmark OS - bookmarks not web pages. exports standard html.
    • GGather. (probably not yet; maybe in future) Export is just one long list with no structure (tho it also does json export, not sure what that is like). No export of saved pages. Doesn’t seem to save original page but some readable version of it (or maybe thats just a real time render of the page; archiving not yet). Nice interface. Can add pages by putting ggather.com before page url. Import tags bookmarks with folders they are in. There are a lot of planned future features but not much activity in recent year. No twitter posts since 2017. Search not full text yet. Shouldn’t use for primary repo since can’t export organized bookmarks.
    • ArchiveBox: Saves multiple formats. Not for bookmarks but for ongoing webarchive storage. Has tags, search. No folders, no bookmark list export. Can export the archive for each item. Command line not via webUI for new entries (so you’d need to be connected to the server to add pages). Only one page at a time, not sites.
    • Floccus - sync bookmarks to a webdav location (can be local)
    • Pinboard: No folders. Page archives cost $24/yr (you lose them post-subcription). Can export the archives.
    • Wallabag: No folders/collections; no bookmark list export. opensource, active. No notes/annotations. Tags. Saves archive copy of url online/server. Has good search (searches content of archive). Good per-site exports but not sure if can export bookmark list. No folders/collections. No sidebar tag browser.. just a page of all tags. Can annotate within note itself (highlight text and make note) but no list of annotations (must scan doc to see highlights). Bookmarklet wont work on sites you dont want javascripted. Extension doesn’t work.

Probably not:

• Shaarli. (probably not) Opensource; current. Basic interface. Mostly just for keeping/searching bookmarks with notes, tags. No categories/folders/collections. So export is just a massive list of bookmarks.
    • Polar (probably not). opensource, active. Electron. More for archiving pages, pdfs. To use new cloud sync option, very expensive. Local only is free. Meant more for document/reading management. Archiving uses a proprietary phz files instead of a standard format. Has usage tracking and no opt-out yet. Viewing list of captured web pages just text.
    • Pagedash: Looks good for saving pages only. But no offline capabilities or sync with android. Online only. $30/yr. Does have per-site export but no bookmark export. Tags no folders.
    • Lasso: focus on collaboation. just saves bookmarks. No export, no archive.
    • Raindrop.io: While it looks good, people complain about payments and say its shady.
    • Dropmarks: Free version very limited (no tags). Paid $4/mo but not as many features as others.
    • Fetching: Records all web visits. Could be interesting exclude in order to share bookmarks (not recorded data), you need to maintain $4/mo sub.
    • Others: Perkeep: no longer maintained. Reminiscence (web based only; lots of work). xbrowsersync (no brave support).
    • Heritrix/WAIL/Wayback: Requires java
    Thanked by (5)uptime nfn vyas mfs bdl
  • Wallabag (on the above list) seems to be popular

• Thanks for theses links .. evernote could result!

• My vote goes to pinboard.in. It's not free but it's the same as a low end vps.

Maciej is a great guy running an ethical business with solid fundamentals.

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • havochavoc OGContent Writer

Been looking into this as well. Ideally looking for a git driven solution, but no real luck yet

• I have a project of similar feature with almost non-existent front-end for my personal usage. If you bookmark a rss feed page, then it acts like feed reader and update periodically. Had plan to release it online for free, but never could gather myself to prepare a usable front-end (and a browser extension, maybe). If God wants, maybe someday.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

This wouldn't be all that hard to implement. @Mason I'm thinking of making a page capture service in PHP 3. You wanna beat me to the punch with a Python 2 service?

Thanked by (1)nfn

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

@WSS said:
    This wouldn't be all that hard to implement. @Mason I'm thinking of making a page capture service in PHP 3. You wanna beat me to the punch with a Python 2 service?

Need something with high performance obviously, so I'll write it up in Julia so we can run it on an HPC. <bigbrain.jpg>

Thanked by (4)WSS nfn ouvoun vimalware

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• Don't forget Node.js. All the cool kids use Node.js

What is this performance thingamajig that you're talking about? Ain't nobody got time for that. The framework matrix takes care of everything. <Neo.jpg>

Thanked by (2)Mason mfs
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited March 2020

I use the following

Simplenote : plain old tagging, categories

Zoho Notes : can create folders and move notes there

Standard Notes (encryption option, monthly @4 USD)

Droplr I use mostly for screenshots but can be used for text as well

• mobilemobile Retired

Pocket (Firefox extension)

• Pocket and Raindrop are good choices, but I was looking for index and archive option because after some year we won't find the information just by the link name.

• @nfn said:
    Pocket and Raindrop are good choices, but I was looking for index and archive option because after some year we won't find the information just by the link name.

Pinboard is what you want. $24/yr is about right for what securing and updating that will cost you.
    It has full-text search AFAIK

Thanked by (1)nfn
  • ialexpwialexpw OGServices Provider

@vimalware said:

@nfn said:
    Pocket and Raindrop are good choices, but I was looking for index and archive option because after some year we won't find the information just by the link name.

Pinboard is what you want. $24/yr is about right for what securing and updating that will cost you.
    It has full-text search AFAIK

Basically this - it's $11 p/a for standard bookmarking or $25 p/a to archive too

Used it for a while before and it's nice enough to use.

Syuh - sftp, rsync & rclone accessible storage from 50GB to TBs.