Canada's Auditor General still using DOS for production

https://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/news/canada-oag-runs-on-dos/

Haven't they heard of Linux? DOS today is totally YOLO.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

Thanked by (1)Emmet

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Hosting ProviderOG

I’m quite shocked that this is not even Windows XP’s - it’s a DOS...

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

Commodore 64 Still Powering Auto Repair Shop in Poland

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a23139/commodore-64-repair-shop/

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

This isn't surprising for gov (and sometimes military) systems. If it ain't broke, don't fix it (or ever get funds to upgrade it).

The US was using floppy disks for control of it's nuclear arsenal systems up until just a few months ago.

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@Mason said: The US was using floppy disks for control of it's nuclear arsenal systems up until just a few months ago.

I thought that was a hoax, is that actually legit~?

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

@AnthonySmith said:

@Mason said: The US was using floppy disks for control of it's nuclear arsenal systems up until just a few months ago.

I thought that was a hoax, is that actually legit~?

Totally legit. Pretty crazy, right?

They transitioned to encrypted SSDs in the second half of last year.

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• Is it FreeDOS at least?

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@FlamingSpaceJunk said:
    Is it FreeDOS at least?

Probably EditoDR-DOS.
    I'll show myself out.

Compaq used to have a subset of DOS on all of their flash floppies that was MS-DOS 5 compatible, but wasn't quite the same thing. It had a pretty small kernel, but ran most real mode stuff, but didn't come with any XMS drivers or so forth and QEMM absolutely refused to acknowledge it.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• I know an ISP in Canada that still use DOS for their billing. They try to migrate to something more recent since 2014 without real sucess. Too much backlog to deal with.

Gestion DBI Inc. | Telecommunications and IT
    A hosting need? Web Hosting | Montreal KVM VPS

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

I mean it is finance. The debits & credits worked the same in 1990 as they do today.

Airlines & booking agents are also still using a terminal like system. (Called Amadeus I believe).

Much of the stockmarket run via bloomberg terminal...it's called terminal for a reason.

Sometimes it's just legacy network effects...changing 195 country's worth of companies over on systems that are inherently 24/7/365 is a biatch. That's just not happening.

• EmmetEmmet OG
    edited March 2020

Auditor General's office is notoriously underfunded. The last AG was very competent in terms of digging for info and pressing cases, but lacked the necessary French to communicate with their mostly Francophone IT side.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited March 2020

@havoc said:
    I mean it is finance. The debits & credits worked the same in 1990 as they do today.

Airlines & booking agents are also still using a terminal like system. (Called Amadeus I believe).

Much of the stockmarket run via bloomberg terminal...it's called terminal for a reason.

Sometimes it's just legacy network effects...changing 195 country's worth of companies over on systems that are inherently 24/7/365 is a biatch. That's just not happening.

Agree on all counts. Airline self checkin kiosis in most airports here run on Windows XP. Now that's progress!

• mobilemobile Retired

vehicle dealer on my place (motorcycle / cars) still use DOS as it's POS. i see no problem if it still works properly. the modern machine with latest windows are doing same, but worse, but hey you can wasting company hour to watch youtube and scroll trough facebook. thanks obama

the one who operate it are way older than my mum though