Are there really free VPS without credit cards?

I have been looking for a free VPS for testing purpose over the last couple of years. I don't have credit cards or I am not willing to expose my credit cards to the Web, in order to protect myself. However, there are no ready to use free VPS for me to test before buying.

Four biggest free VPS providers - Google, Microsoft, Amazon and Oracle - all request you for credit cards, they scare me away. Several smaller VPS providers do the same thing. Those without such requirements impose other restrictions, such as a reciprocal links, posting reviews or comments on their forums. There are even VPS providers that are just phishing your data, without any further information after I have ordered their free accounts.

Results: no free VPS without creditcard requirements in its real sense. In another words, there are no free VPS in the same sense as free virtual hosting. Although free hosting is of low quality, still you can get them in abundance. But you cannot get free VPS as easy as free hosting. Why?

Can anyone share your information and experiences?

Tagged:

Comments

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

If your really that apprehensive about online footprint why bother to go on the internet at all.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @globalone said:
    I have been looking for a free VPS for testing purpose over the last couple of years. I don't have credit cards or I am not willing to expose my credit cards to the Web, in order to protect myself. However, there are no ready to use free VPS for me to test before buying.

Four biggest free VPS providers - Google, Microsoft, Amazon and Oracle - all request you for credit cards, they scare me away. Several smaller VPS providers do the same thing. Those without such requirements impose other restrictions, such as a reciprocal links, posting reviews or comments on their forums. There are even VPS providers that are just phishing your data, without any further information after I have ordered their free accounts.

Results: no free VPS without creditcard requirements in its real sense. In another words, there are no free VPS in the same sense as free virtual hosting. Although free hosting is of low quality, still you can get them in abundance. But you cannot get free VPS as easy as free hosting. Why?

Simple answer, nothing is free. What those companies are offering you is a "Free Trial" where they expect you to become a paying customer. Everything has costs. It costs money to run a info structure. Also this helps with cutting down abuse.

Web Hosting vs VPS, that is a whole different debate. I can easily cram 2000+ active websites on a basic e3 box. Where as I can barely offer 20-40 VPS without the CPU/Memory completely crapping out.

With providers such as @mikho @AnthonySmith @cam with their Nat VPS offering, you can't get anything cheaper than that. At $2-5 per year, that is as cheap as free. Even for 3rd world countries, that is cheap.

If you need something for testing and do not want to pay a dime for it, nor want to offer something in return, install virtualbox on your home computer (if windows) or kvm/openvz7 (if linux), run ipv6 using tunnelbroker and voila, your no cost, no frill, free vps.

Thanked by (1)mikho
  • @seriesn said: With providers such as @mikho @AnthonySmith @cam with their Nat VPS offering, you can't get anything cheaper than that. At $2-5 per year, that is as cheap as free. Even for 3rd world countries, that is cheap.

+1
    I consider @mikho 's vps as free one. Couldn't ask more.

Thanked by (1)mikho
  • williewillie OG
    edited March 2020

@globalone said: However, there are no ready to use free VPS for me to test before buying.

Just buy for a month like anyone else does, and if you don't like it then don't renew. Lots of providers take paypal, bitcoin, checks, or whatever.

Thanked by (2)uptime angstrom
  • mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@globalone said:
    I don't have credit cards or I am not willing to expose my credit cards to the Web, in order to protect myself.

If you don’t have credit cards, then you can’t expose them to the Web ;)

@globalone said:

Four biggest free VPS providers - Google, Microsoft, Amazon and Oracle - all request you for credit cards, they scare me away.

Reason asking for a credit card at signup is to protect themself, if you abuse their service during a test-drive, they can take the cost out of your credit card.

@globalone said:
    Several smaller VPS providers do the same thing. Those without such requirements impose other restrictions, such as a reciprocal links, posting reviews or comments on their forums. There are even VPS providers that are just phishing your data, without any further information after I have ordered their free accounts.

As @seriesn said, If you want the free accounts turn into a paid account, there are higher cost per VM.
    If a free account thinks the free VM they got is shit, why would they order something from that host?

There are also other ways to pay smaller VPS companys, like bitcoin. In the small vps company crowd, there aren’t many who only accepts credit cards. Most who accepts credit cards go via a trusted partner, like PayPal, Stripe or others.
    Only to avoid saving credit card information.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• Ides of March -- Free VPS

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited March 2020

am are really fully managed spamers off-topic?

EDIT: y tho testing? too much stressors.

HS4LIFE (+ (* 3 4) (* 5 6))

• @globalone said: But you cannot get free VPS as easy as free hosting. Why?

Congrats on your first post

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG
    edited March 2020

@globalone said: free hosting is of low quality, still you can get them in abundance. But you cannot get free VPS as easy as free hosting. Why?

Shared hosting by its very nature is much more controlled, isolated and limited with a significantly lower cost of entry, I can setup a free shared hosting service with a basic re-seller account costing me about $25 p/year.

To provide a free VPS, the cost of entry would be much higher and the consequences of abuse would be much further reaching and harder to control.

Thanked by (1)uptime

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• Heroku/IBM Lite/Kubesail/GoormIDE.

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

Didn't you already post this on HostedTalk.net?
    Congrats on your first post.

• How naive.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• No money, no honey.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

Stop scaring him away.

Thanked by (1)d2itsme

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• mobilemobile Retired

I'm not exactly looking for free stuff but both Azure cold archive and sometihng C14 Scaleway requires CC to purchase. let alone their free tier.
    mostly i wanted to learn how those stuff works, API and shiet, but oh well paypal is my best

I haven't tried to ask their marketing to make sure about it though. but here i am complaining it in vietnamese sandal enthusiast forum
    i am a certified retard

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

You can Try euserv free tier. They dont require CC, but i read somewhere their Network is not gr8. Can try.

• It definitely creates a mixed impression if someone signs up on three hosting forums and then immediately starts a thread on all three about how to get a free VPS

Thanked by (2)uptime cybertech

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• edited March 2020

I want a free Ferrari .

with Kendall Jenner blowing me for free .

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@vbloods said:
    I want a free Ferrari .

with Kendall Jenner blowing me for free .

Ugh. Have some taste.

Go for a McLauren.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.