Backup storage choices...

Hi all,
Since I lost lot of my data in hard drive failure few months ago, I am looking for a cheaper cloud storage to backup my important data. Like photos and documents.
I would like your input on a good option.

Few of my options are,
1. Google 100gb 20$ annually
2. 1fichier 2TB €22 annually
3. https://stacksocial.com/sales/rethink-2tb-cloud-storage-organization-3-year-subscription
2tb 19$ for 3 years.
Need your opinions. Especially on last one since it expires in day.
And another reliable options.

Thanks a lot.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Comments

• vyasvyas OG
    edited March 2020

I would recommend that you stay away from Rethink/ Publist. Granted they received venture funding, but the team is inexperienced.

If the Koofr LT deal is on, grab that. @ympker and others may concur they are stable service and a robust product with friendly staff. Else pCloud, though it is tad over prices (during sale, US $ 125 for 500 GB, multi year)

and if you are adventurous- take a look at the iceDrive deal (link posted in the flash sales thread for the latter)

Thanked by (2)Iroshan464 Ympker
  • 5 year subscription? Lol.

• I’ve been using Backblaze B2 for < 1TB of backups, and Wasabi for >= 1TB.

It don’t be like it is until it do.

• @vyas said:
    Stay away from Rethink/ Publist.

If the Koofr LT deal is on, grab that. Else pCloud, and if you are adventurous- iceDrive (link posted in the flash sales thread for the latter)

Thanks.
    Is rethink bad?
    Icedrive seems good. However need sometime to find the funds. :p

• +1 for Backblaze.

Thanked by (1)Iroshan464
  • DO storage 5 usd/m for 250 gb pretty slick 1TB transfer using from last year for wordpress backup

• Hot or cold? I am considering use scaleway c14 for my cold backups.

Thanked by (1)Iroshan464

Action and Reaction in history

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

The 5 TB of onedrive space in O365 is best in my experience. Plus obv you get office and skype mins etc incl too.

Also better if you want to backup 5x family members...then each can have their own a/c

Thanked by (1)Iroshan464
  • I’m currently using B2 for server backups (restic + B2), and Wasabi migrate backups older than 2mo to Wasabi bucket.

Thanked by (2)Eelek Iroshan464
  • Wasabi is cheap for an object store.

I'm using Rsync.net to store my backups. It's restricted SSH access only, but I can point restic at it and it does its thing.

Thanked by (1)Iroshan464
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@vyas said:
    I would recommend that you stay away from Rethink/ Publist. Granted they received venture funding, but the team is inexperienced.

If the Koofr LT deal is on, grab that. @ympker and others may concur they are stable service and a robust product with friendly staff. Else pCloud, though it is tad over prices (during sale, US $ 125 for 500 GB, multi year)

and if you are adventurous- take a look at the iceDrive deal (link posted in the flash sales thread for the latter)

Koofr LTD (got the 1TB plan) is running stable on Hetzner servers afaik. Great performance and privacy policy. Nice features like moving stuff from gdrive, dropbox, onedrive to and from Koofr.

1Fichier is also great bang for the buck esecially if you need FTP :)

Thanked by (2)vyas Iroshan464
  • I can see that some deals from this thread are still active, or do not have a "valid through" date. You may find a low double digit deal or two (in Euros) for 100 + GB storage / year....

if that is lighter on your pocket, that could become a good option....

Thanked by (1)Iroshan464
  • @vyas thanks.
    But I'm not very experienced, I prefer a storage provider, rather than trying to make my own vps as storage.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited March 2020

@Iroshan464 said:
    @vyas thanks.
    But I'm not very experienced, I prefer a storage provider, rather than trying to make my own vps as storage.

Under 'normal' times I would have said,
    "You can ask the community for help and more than a few might volunteer to walk you through the process"....

But these are not normal times, and you have your hands full based on what you've posted so far.

Koofr is a great option, like Ympker also mentioned so well. Meanwhile, Icedrive seems to have gathered some positive (and detailed) reviews. I think AS is giving a $10 coupon to celebrate their 10 year anniversary if that helps matters.

I wish you well..

Thanked by (1)Iroshan464
  • How much space are you looking for?

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

Every backup system has trouble sometimes. Use at least two remote providers plus one or maybe even two local, external hard drives stored in different places. Make sure there is no single point of failure. Encrypt at least the remote backups if there is anything sensitive. Make backups at fixed intervals, and keep some of them in an organized way-- for example make daily backups, keep one week of daily backups, four of the Sunday backups, and twelve of the monthly backups. Run hashes for verification. Test every backup to make sure it can be unencrypted and restored. Make sure you have a good system for finding and retrieving individual items. Good luck! Have fun!

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• edited March 2020

@willie about 100gb.
    @Not_Oles good advice, tom. Thanks a lot. May be I'll ask for your help organizing later. :)
    @vyas thanks a lot for suggestions. 39$ icedrive seems like a good deal. Of course, I want to learn how to take proper backups soon. May be later.