Help required (windows server2012)

AK_KWHAK_KWH Hosting ProviderOG

Hi,
i had to migrate one of my windows server active user list to another server i m not familiar with windows if anyone had experience so please share it how to move users between two server only users i want move not the data

KhanWebHost Cheap Shared Hosting | Cheap KVM VPS (DE,UK,US,FR) | KVM Sale - LES Offers

Comments

• Never had to do this myself yet, but I remember saving this to my bookmarks: Active Directory Migration Tool (ADMT)

And maybe this guide goes along with it: http://www.rebeladmin.com/2019/01/step-step-guide-migrate-active-directory-2012-r2-active-directory-2019-powershell-guide/

• DewlanceDewlance Hosting ProviderOG

You can install "Backup and Restore" tool from Feature Manager.

Then create backup of users with custom option and exclude data like desktop, etc.

Dewlance - Affordable Shared/Reseller/Master Reseller Hosting
    WHMCS Addon - DemoTiger Video KB - Tutorial Videos for Hosting Providers.

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@AK_KWH said:
    Hi,
    i had to migrate one of my windows server active user list to another server i m not familiar with windows if anyone had experience so please share it how to move users between two server only users i want move not the data

Is the server joined to a domain or stand-alone?

What exactly do you want to move? Only the username/password?

If you copy/grab the profile folders you will get settings for installed applications and such, things that are installed in the user profile.

Since you say you don’t want to move data.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• AK_KWHAK_KWH Hosting ProviderOG

@mikho said:

@AK_KWH said:
    Hi,

Is the server joined to a domain or stand-alone?

What exactly do you want to move? Only the username/password?

If you copy/grab the profile folders you will get settings for installed applications and such, things that are installed in the user profile.

Since you say you don’t want to move data.

Its was used for only desktop uploading downloading nothing else it had i want to switch the provider bcz current one had a few network issue so i want to go with another one what i want i just want the username/passwords so i dnt need to be setup every single user again manually i dont need any other thing to be sifted

KhanWebHost Cheap Shared Hosting | Cheap KVM VPS (DE,UK,US,FR) | KVM Sale - LES Offers

@Dewlance said:

Then create backup of users with custom option and exclude data like desktop, etc.

it will move all data too :) i dont want the data i just want the username/password only

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@AK_KWH said:

@Dewlance said:

it will move all data too :) i dont want the data i just want the username/password only

To my knowledge (as I've never tried it) you can't copy the password between stand-alone servers. (unless using option 1 below)
    It would be easier if both were AD-joined but that is another cost (separate AD-server needed).

1. You can sniff the hash (requires the user to change their password once on the old server) - not recommended.
    2. You can copy the usernames and require the users to change their passwords at first login (you set a password for each account)

You also need to copy all groups from the first server and create them on the second server.

On the old server, I would use Powershell commands to get the lists of users/groups/membership into a csv file(s)

• Get-LocalUser
    • Get-LocalGroup
    • Get-LocalGroupMember

and then, on the new server use the following commands with data from the csv file(s):

• Create-LocalUser
    • Create-LocalGroup
    • Add-LocalGroupMember

Create random passwords and assign to each LocalUser and send them to the users, and password change on the first login.

Thanked by (2)AK_KWH Dewlance

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

Thanks for the solution @mikho <3

Thanked by (1)mikho