Direct Admin Technical Thread

Comments

• @MikePT said:

@smtalk said:

@exp3 said:

@smtalk said:

@MikePT said:

@Lee said: The animations are a PITA, I will give you that, but they can be turned off.

Indeed, the effects suck!

Hehe, it's been discussed many times. Doesn't the "white flash" at LES "suck"? :) If it doesn't we can add an option to add this "white flash" effect as the transition and problem would be solved then.

If there are other suggestions - they're really welcome. For those who want "no transitions" at all - there is already an option for this.

For me the DA UI is very expanded and not compact. I prefer to see everything on the screen without scrolling, specially in the case of file manager. I dont think people really care about the animations. People actually like to get stuff done quickly as possible so the UI being simple, light, obvious, working, snappy and responsive will be really appreciated.

I don't really know why most of the people call it "animations" and not "transitions" :) When you're here, click any URL on LES, for example home logo, and you'll get a 'white flash' transition.

We're open for suggestions if you have something to offer.

"specially in the case of file manager" - v2 of it is planned, no ETA on it though. It'll be more OS-like file-manager, likely opened in a new tab by default, and having more natural look&feel to usual file managers.

Thank you for the feedback!

E. G show all users, takes quite a few seconds to load. Then searching there... Even takes time to type a single letter.

Hehe, this is not something about "animations", and not a result of "transitions". I'd call it a bug/problem. How many users do you list on 1 page? I'd try to reproduce it.

Thank you!

Thanked by (1)MikePT
  • @jarland said: Had that problem when we first switched over to DA and it was patched, haven't noticed it since.

Not to be negative or anything, but I still see the issues with my MXroute DA servers ... :#
    Example just now:

Maybe fix was reverted at some point?

• jarlandjarland Hosting ProviderOG

@flips said: Maybe fix was reverted at some point?

I just did a fresh install on a staging server and copied the DKIM key for jarland.me as usual, didn't notice anything.

➜ ~ dig TXT x._domainkey.jarland.me +short "v=DKIM1; k=rsa; p=MIIBIjANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQEFAAOCAQ8AMIIBCgKCAQEAzHRYbrB7Qz8zll6lMzKU5/svza5gwz3NiRg0vhunmgb40RDIQS7RHoi86okhwncCJkCwGhcur3iE0itqgA1qx88KzkEmq6kxxTPIlxmuboOcp0TbtFFGbbujq+CX3ITQOhtinQx0J7rmYNxQN+y/A9vsAr6wDCDM3DyV6zWiuQpWPQ/GfOOlu3t/9g/aBEyHl" "Giq71bc0HqXUkfp+31Qp7JnFyipSLLVWuUnJ/PQh2oa1lh+P/Ueh78hpYItKF/UhyCzz8IW7CPrGqdzLWdCD03deL+m1I8IIrH0XshPd+Ye7oeZdjtoO0U+sfHdDp0wMdsF2fJa6oGJoQus9VQSbwIDAQAB"

Do everything as though everyone you’ll ever know is watching.

• @jarland said:

I just did a fresh install on a staging server and copied the DKIM key for jarland.me as usual, didn't notice anything.

Hey Jar , long time not see you.

Thanked by (1)jarland
  • @jarland said:

➜ ~ dig TXT x._domainkey.jarland.me +short "v=DKIM1; k=rsa; p=MIIBIjANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQEFAAOCAQ8AMIIBCgKCAQEAzHRYbrB7Qz8zll6lMzKU5/svza5gwz3NiRg0vhunmgb40RDIQS7RHoi86okhwncCJkCwGhcur3iE0itqgA1qx88KzkEmq6kxxTPIlxmuboOcp0TbtFFGbbujq+CX3ITQOhtinQx0J7rmYNxQN+y/A9vsAr6wDCDM3DyV6zWiuQpWPQ/GfOOlu3t/9g/aBEyHl" "Giq71bc0HqXUkfp+31Qp7JnFyipSLLVWuUnJ/PQh2oa1lh+P/Ueh78hpYItKF/UhyCzz8IW7CPrGqdzLWdCD03deL+m1I8IIrH0XshPd+Ye7oeZdjtoO0U+sfHdDp0wMdsF2fJa6oGJoQus9VQSbwIDAQAB"

Beats me. :#
    I did another test now (on Lisa), entering DA → Account Manager → DKIM Keys → select&copy, using Safari, private window, reload without context, gets the spaces (?) in dig output:

"v=DKIM1; ?k=rsa; p=M?IIBIjANBgk?qhkiG9w0BA?QEFAAOCAQ8?AMIIBCgKCA?QEAqFoYQAC?leUoI4I2f1?RRsFloUWUG?Y+MkjkNKL9?dxO6k9dE5a?X+Nn8wW1yA?Hva33dwQKD?jU7wVNdpUp?CYLPvEIPYc?2UrmBB1IB1?M1X6AGMqq+?bGqiBL+SkF?xgvh84Bn06?G7epCETUko?ZJjCDs3rQO?Kr5XGQ8kGf?qBGRB0A60O?ZOh" "qB7Fs6L?s3pRudJJsJ?zDA689hwha?WJguKFf98U?MnA0rsYc9v?sQffA/vcD3?XAYL7wxB27?kFRe2ndXqN?3gr680McIt?4kbBnOI0oB?jZ/yO9Znu6?2bS8YlSlHq?JbaOzIyRob?/NKZFqQx/l?l0TWBmcFIl?FuUkCeV9MS?3sD9+wZxqV?8Rp3wIDAQA?B"

• Crazy thing happening with open_basedir, when the server has multiple PHP versions available.

open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/usr/bin/gzip) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/user_name/:/tmp/:/var/tmp/:/opt/alt/php72/usr/share/pear/:/dev/urandom:/usr/local/php73/lib/:/usr/local/php72/lib/:/usr/local/php53/lib/:/usr/local/php73/lib/:/usr/local/lib/php/) ..

The phpinfo() from within the application shows /usr/local/php73/lib/php.ini and /usr/local/php73/lib/php.conf.d/10-directadmin.ini as parsed with no explicit open_basedir set.

Where would I find a per domain php.ini, as a workaround? It looks as though there's a template some place that adds the user's home. I'd be looking to add in /usr/bin, to allow gzip to function, if this is the correct method.

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    Crazy thing happening with open_basedir, when the server has multiple PHP versions available.

open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/usr/bin/gzip) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/user_name/:/tmp/:/var/tmp/:/opt/alt/php72/usr/share/pear/:/dev/urandom:/usr/local/php73/lib/:/usr/local/php72/lib/:/usr/local/php53/lib/:/usr/local/php73/lib/:/usr/local/lib/php/) ..

The phpinfo() from within the application shows /usr/local/php73/lib/php.ini and /usr/local/php73/lib/php.conf.d/10-directadmin.ini as parsed with no explicit open_basedir set.

Where would I find a per domain php.ini, as a workaround? It looks as though there's a template some place that adds the user's home. I'd be looking to add in /usr/bin, to allow gzip to function, if this is the correct method.

Template (for apache): /usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/virtual_host2*.conf

You may use custom pre/post hooks to override it, or, if you need it for a single domain, just follow https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=182.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@smtalk said:

@MikePT said:

@smtalk said:

@exp3 said:

@smtalk said:

@MikePT said:

@Lee said: The animations are a PITA, I will give you that, but they can be turned off.

Hehe, it's been discussed many times. Doesn't the "white flash" at LES "suck"? :) If it doesn't we can add an option to add this "white flash" effect as the transition and problem would be solved then.

If there are other suggestions - they're really welcome. For those who want "no transitions" at all - there is already an option for this.

For me the DA UI is very expanded and not compact. I prefer to see everything on the screen without scrolling, specially in the case of file manager. I dont think people really care about the animations. People actually like to get stuff done quickly as possible so the UI being simple, light, obvious, working, snappy and responsive will be really appreciated.

I don't really know why most of the people call it "animations" and not "transitions" :) When you're here, click any URL on LES, for example home logo, and you'll get a 'white flash' transition.

"specially in the case of file manager" - v2 of it is planned, no ETA on it though. It'll be more OS-like file-manager, likely opened in a new tab by default, and having more natural look&feel to usual file managers.

E. G show all users, takes quite a few seconds to load. Then searching there... Even takes time to type a single letter.

Hehe, this is not something about "animations", and not a result of "transitions". I'd call it a bug/problem. How many users do you list on 1 page? I'd try to reproduce it.

Thank you!

Hi Lee,

Reduced it from 500 to 50, though it's still meh, not instant, takes a second to load 50. Not that it matters much now, it's worse with 500 obviously.

• edited April 2020

@MikePT said:

@smtalk said:

@MikePT said:

@smtalk said:

@exp3 said:

@smtalk said:

@MikePT said:

Thank you!

Hi Lee,

Reduced it from 500 to 50, though it's still meh, not instant, takes a second to load 50. Not that it matters much now, it's worse with 500 obviously.

Miguel is awesome! He helped us to find the culprit :) Backend didn't compress JSON output there, and if network speed is slow, it takes time to download the list. It has been fixed in pre-release.

Thanked by (1)MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider
    edited April 2020

@smtalk said:

@MikePT said:

@smtalk said:

@MikePT said:

@smtalk said:

@exp3 said:

@smtalk said:

@MikePT said:

Thank you!

Hi Lee,

Miguel is awesome! He helped us to find the culprit :) Backend didn't compress JSON output there, and if network speed is slow, it takes time to download the list. It has been fixed in pre-release.

<3

And it's really easy to run the pre-release binaries: https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=408

Edit: And now DA is much, much faster, literally every section loads instantly.

Thanked by (1)_MS_
  • @smtalk or anyone else,
    Is there a master list of all directadmin conf options? I feel like there's something new new with every other version and some stuffs are not preloaded by default.

• @seriesn said:
    @smtalk or anyone else,
    Is there a master list of all directadmin conf options? I feel like there's something new new with every other version and some stuffs are not preloaded by default.

https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=284 and "/usr/local/directadmin/directadmin c" would list them. New documentation system is in works, it should include more detailed information.

Thanked by (1)seriesn
  • It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.

• Why does it show 0 disk space there?

Recommend: MyRoot.PW|BuyVM|Inception Hosting|Prometeus

• @vpsgeek3333 said:
    Why does it show 0 disk space there?

Likely quotas disabled on your VPS/server :) https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=42

• edited April 2020

@smtalk said:

@vpsgeek3333 said:
    Why does it show 0 disk space there?

Likely quotas disabled on your VPS/server :) https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=42

Yes I am using a vps but it is a KVM & not using simfs filesystem, Operating System is CentOS 8 & here is what /etc/fstab looks like:

• edited April 2020

^ Interesting article, thus demonstrating why a home partition is a good idea. Who wants to mess about like that, when it's avoidable? (rhetorical). I don't use xfs (when I remember) but for a different reason; it doesn't shrink.

• The provider Im using redirects to the privatelabel.com:2222 instead of mydomain.com:2222 . Is there a way to change it to latter?

I noticed that DA uses a different index page when serving the https with no site yet? Where do you edit that secure index.html?

Also, when installing ssl it has no box for intermediate, root or bundle. You need to know how to paste it in correct order in that box for certificate. That might confuse users. Thanks!

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider
    edited May 2020

@exp3 said: The provider Im using redirects to the privatelabel.com:2222 instead of mydomain.com:2222 . Is there a way to change it to latter?

Yes, it's one of the options in /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf on the admin side. https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=917

• Started to use DA with a purpose today by migrating a live cPanel site.
    Going well so far.
    One thing that I noticed was the lack of a mod_security interface, to check loaded rules and the log etc.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@AlwaysSkint said:
    One thing that I noticed was the lack of a mod_security interface, to check loaded rules and the log etc.

Don't use WordPress, and you probably don't need to worry about this.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• @WSS said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

Don't use WordPress, and you probably don't need to worry about this.

Having used an oscommerce derivative, amongst others for well over a decade, I can say that mod_sec is worthwhile even without a WP instance. As it happens, the migrated site is a WP one, 'cos Cloudlinux/cPanel caused major grief with max. memory availability (after 2 days of messing with settings). ;-)

Thanked by (1)WSS

• WSSWSS OGRetired

Yeah, osCommerce is fucking garbage too.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider
    edited May 2020

I understand the username now. "Wordpress Super Sucks".

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • _MS__MS_ OG
    edited May 2020

@SmallWeb said:
    I understand the username now. "Wordpress Super Sucks".

"WordPress Super Sucks"

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

Wholesome Shitposter Syndrome

Only a few people know the acronym.

Thanked by (2)MichaelCee vpsgeek3333

• Won't Shitposters Stop?

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

How is JetBackup fairing?
    Anyone had any problems with it?

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• edited June 2020

@smtalk How is it possible with DA to run a single hidden master dns setup where all of my DA servers sync dns zones to it?