Hetzner Online news bytes

Comments

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Hosting ProviderOG

@willie Yeah, I know some people in the states who've already lost their jobs unfortunately. And there are similar things happening here.

At Hetzner, people who are working remotely, myself included, are. And in the DCs, I'm sure we're taking precautions wherever we can. --Katie

Thanked by (1)FlamingSpaceJunk

We're Katie and Lea and we'll do our best to answer questions you have about Hetzner Online. We and not our employer are responsible for any horrible puns and dated cultural references.

• MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@Hetzner_OL said:
    The epic controversy over white mode or black mode continues. At Hetzner Cloud's user interface Cloud Console, we've added black mode, so you can now choose which one you prefer.

See a preview here. --Katie

Now this looks HAWT.

Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL
  • @Hetzner_OL Does traffic between Cloud and dedicated servers count towards the Cloud traffic cap?

• @Hetzner_OL said: even if I am actually really excited about something that's coming down the pipeline.

Ya know, this might not be what you had in mind, but a CX61 (basically 2x a CX51 in all dimensions) hosted on a large Epyc or TR3970X would be pretty handy.

@Hetzner_OL said: At Hetzner, people who are working remotely, myself included, are. And in the DCs, I'm sure we're taking precautions wherever we can. --Katie

I'm glad to hear this ;)

@mikewazar said:
    @Hetzner_OL Does traffic between Cloud and dedicated servers count towards the Cloud traffic cap?

We only calculate outgoing traffic in our monthly traffic limits. We do not include incoming and internal traffic in the calculation. Traffic between Hetzner Cloud servers and our dedicated root servers is internal traffic. The same is true for traffic between other Hetzner products. --Katie

Thanked by (1)adly

We're Katie and Lea and we'll do our best to answer questions you have about Hetzner Online. We and not our employer are responsible for any horrible puns and dated cultural references.

@willie said: Ya know, this might not be what you had in mind, but a CX61 (basically 2x a CX51 in all dimensions) hosted on a large Epyc or TR3970X would be pretty handy.

Interesting...

I'll pass that onto the dev team. :D --Katie

• iandkiandk Hosting ProviderOG
    edited April 2020

Please include larger IPv6 subnets for the dedicated servers

AMD EPYC / NVMe / 10GBPs KVM in Frankfurt - https://v6node.com
    Looking for an unbeatable AMD EPYC Baremetal Server in Frankfurt? Drop me a PM

• @Hetzner_OL said: I'll pass that onto the dev team. :D --Katie

It would also be cool to use 3970X to host a CX12, CX22, etc. Those would have the exact same specs as the CX11, CX21 etc. (same # of cores and same ram) but would be faster because of the 3970x's higher frequency cpu. They would be a bit more expensive and possibly have cpu allocation than the current stuff, without being dedicated. This would be like Vultr's high frequency instances which are very nice.

I think the idea of a CX61 has always been obvious to your devs: it just might not have been feasible when the cloud product was first introduced. It might be more doable now, using Epyc's higher core counts. I'm sure your team is already mindful of the possibilities. The CCX41 and CCX51 exist but the expensive resource in them is cpu, and users who want to run highly cached SQL or Redis instances mostly want high ram and are ok with shared cpu. So it would be great to have a CX61 that's similar. At least IME, the existing CX41 and CX51 have enough cpu headroom to handle multi-hour high-cpu tasks without throttling, so my hope is the imagined CX61 would be similar.

Thanked by (2)Hetzner_OL MikePT
  • @Hetzner_OL said:
    At Hetzner, people who are working remotely, myself included, are. And in the DCs, I'm sure we're taking precautions wherever we can. --Katie

Thanked by (1)MikePT

@iandk said:
    Please include larger IPv6 subnets for the dedicated servers

You can order larger subnets if you need them for a fee. https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/IP-Adressen/en

@willie said: I'm sure your team is already mindful of the possibilities.

Yes, they are. But I don't want to reveal more than that. ;) --Katie

Thanked by (1)MikePT

edited April 2020

Drumroll please....
    Our team at Hetzner Cloud has been working hard on something epic..

Check it out! --Katie

Sorry, I clearly have not had enough coffee today and messed up my post! :open_mouth:

Here's the link to the new EPYC-based Cloud Servers.

• Nice, so that's what you were holding out on us! It will be interesting to see what cpu availability on these is like, once people start using them. I was hoping the 16 core model would have 64gb of ram (at higher cost if needed), since that would increase the cpu headroom both by having fewer VM's on the machine, and by attracting some users who want the higher ram more than they want the added cpu. But, as I mentioned in another thread, I may celebrate this by cancelling a couple of Scaleway dedis that I've been idling for way too long anyway ;).

@willie So, the standard instance for the 16 core model (CPX 51) comes with 32 GB of RAM, but you can always use the Rescale function to add more RAM as you need. (And I think you can also scale it back down to 32 GB if you no longer need the extra RAM).
    But I'll still pass on that feedback. :) --Katie

• williewillie OG
    edited April 2020

@Hetzner_OL said: So, the standard instance for the 16 core model (CPX 51) comes with 32 GB of RAM, but you can always use the Rescale function to add more RAM as you need.

Oh! I didn't realize that was possible. What is the maximum amount of ram available with the CPX instances? Note this still doesn't decrease the number of VM's on the machine.

@willie said: What is the maximum amount of ram available with the CPX instances?

Quite honestly, but it should be visible from the Rescale feature. I am having a hard time finding a particular file from my remote office. But it is probably visible from the moveable scale on the feature:

(Unfortunately, it's not in this screenshot that I have.) --Katie

In other news, one of our customers wrote a pretty nifty tutorial for our Community page: "How-to: Provisioning a highly available load balancer in Hetzner Cloud with Ansible" I thought it might me a nice, small Friday surprise. --Katie

• @Hetzner_OL said: Quite honestly, but it should be visible from the Rescale feature. I am having a hard time finding a particular file from my remote office. But it is probably visible from the moveable scale on the feature:

I'll give it a try, but I suspect that the maximum is 32GB since that is the largest instance in the series. I think that is the case with the CX series but I could be mis-remembering. No idea about converting from one series to another, like scaling a CPX instance to CCX, which would involve switching from an AMD to an Intel cpu, that might be a bit weird.

We'd like to introduce you to the newest server in our AX lineup. It's a step up in performance from our AX51-NVMe, but its price is very down to earth. That's why I think of it as our Goldilocks of the AX line. Happy Monday! --Katie

Thanked by (2)beagle vimalware

• SagnikSSagnikS Hosting ProviderOG

@Hetzner_OL said:
    We'd like to introduce you to the newest server in our AX lineup. It's a step up in performance from our AX51-NVMe, but its price is very down to earth. That's why I think of it as our Goldilocks of the AX line. Happy Monday! --Katie

is it going to be available in Germany as well?

Thanked by (1)vimalware

@SagnikS - I am not sure, but I will ask our team and get back to you. --Katie

Thanked by (1)SagnikS

@SagnikS said: is it going to be available in Germany as well?

To the best of my knowledge, we generally plan on having all of our new server models in all our DC locations eventually. Normally, there is usually just a few weeks' difference between locations. But there are several factors that have made this difficult to implement over the last few months, unfortunately. Our team is doing its best to build and deploy servers as quickly as possible. I'm sorry that I can't give you a firm ETA. --Katie

Thanked by (1)SagnikS

• williewillie OG
    edited April 2020

Thanks, Katie. The AX61 seems like a well-balanced machine that's a good setup for many customers. Some of us are CPU junkies though, so it would be great if a Ryzen 3900 upgrade option (similar to disk upgrades) was available for the AX41. ;)

@willie - I'm just curious so I can pass on good feedback to the dev team for when they think about future server generations. What's the use case you would have in mind for that kind of configuration? Is it just the price of the AX41 that you like, or is there something about its setup that you would like to see together with the 3900 in particular? --Katie

• williewillie OG
    edited April 2020

@Hetzner_OL said: What's the use case you would have in mind for that kind of configuration? Is it just the price of the AX41 that you like,

Yes, the use case is intensive computations which don't require the AX61's 4TB of NVMe disk or its 128GB of memory or maybe other nice things it comes with. So the hope is just to keep expenses down. In practice the AX61 is a good setup though. If an AX41 cpu upgrade was available I'd be glad it was there but I better confess that I'm probably too cheap to personally buy it. I still have my 4 core auction server and if something takes 12 hours I just start it going and check on it the next day. But a Ryzen 3900 would be about 4x faster so a boy can dream ;). At work we used AWS spot instances for stuff like that and we always had a bunch of them running, so AX61's would have been great.

Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL
    edited April 2020

Happy Thursday! The work week is almost done, but maybe you need something to stimulate those brain cells of yours. We've added another tutorial to our Community. --Katie

The team at Hetzner Cloud has a piece of good news for you this Friday. They've added the new Ubuntu 20.04 to their lineup of standard operating systems. I had never heard of the code word Focal Fossa, so of course I had to look it up, and there are some quirky things about this cat. --Katie

Thanked by (1)angstrom

• williewillie OG
    edited April 2020

Nice that there's a new OS release, but can we go lighter on the graphics unless it's something really significant?

Btw I thought a little more about the idea of an AX41 (or AX in general) cpu upgrade and it's quite interesting, especially since maybe it could be more affordable than I first thought. The 3900 is about a $400 part and the 3600 is about a $200 part (maybe a little lower), so the upgrade is about $200 or almost equivalently 200 euro (the upgraded 3600 would still be deployed in another server, for which there is plenty of demand).

A 10TB hdd is maybe $300 these days, and you rent them 19.5 euro/m, and they are more subject to wear and failure than cpu's are. So a 3600 to 3900 upgrade might be as little as 15 euro/m, which is a bit more than 1 year amortization which more or less fits in with your practices. This is low enough that even a cheapskate like me would consider it carefully as a possible upgrade from my auction server. The stuff I do needs a fair amount of storage but not much IOPS, so I'd rather have minimal or no SSD storage (a couple of nice big HDD's fill my requirements better) and the 1.92TB ssd's in the AX61 are way overboard for me.

I think you could even consider offering a Ryzen 3950X upgrade (16 cores) which would be somewhat more expensive than the 3900, partly because the chip itself costs more and partly because it uses 105W of power instead of 65W(?) (thus, bigger electric bills). But I think some, in fact maybe a lot, of your AX61 customers would want this and be willing to pay a premium for it. I myself would stay with the 3900 at most.

• edited April 2020

@willie said: Nice that there's a new OS release, but can we go lighter on the graphics unless it's something really significant?

Hetzner were quick, and it's a nice graphic!

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

@angstrom said: Hetzner were quick, and it's a nice graphic!

Thanks, yeah, the Hetzner Cloud team tried to get it ready really fast.

@willie said: Nice that there's a new OS release, but can we go lighter on the graphics unless it's something really significant?

I sometimes like to post things with graphics just to liven things up a bit in the thread. Maybe I'm an overly-visual person.
    I also passed on your feedback to the dev team. --Katie