Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (codename: Focal Fossa) appears today

Since Ubuntu releases an LTS version only every two years, I thought that this event deserves its own thread: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (codename: Focal Fossa) will be released into the wild today. :)

As usual, both the Server version and the canonical Desktop version (with GNOME) will receive five years of support, whereas the other Desktop derivatives (Kubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, etc.) will receive three years of support. The initial Linux kernel version is 5.4.0, but later minor releases will probably come with an updated kernel as an option.

The install media for 20.04 aren't yet officially visible/available, but they should become visible/available over the next several hours. :)

What can I say: a small joy in the time of coronavirus and lockdowns. :)

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

Comments

• Looking forward to Ubuntu DDE. Its ubuntu 20.04 with deepin environment, sounds cool for me.

Thanked by (1)angstrom
  • @ionut said:
    Looking forward to Ubuntu DDE. Its ubuntu 20.04 with deepin environment, sounds cool for me.

I didn't know about Ubuntu DDE, but I see that this will be its first official release ( https://ubuntudde.com/ ) :)

Thanked by (2)vyas Ympker

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• ionutionut OG
    edited April 2020

@angstrom said:

@ionut said:
    Looking forward to Ubuntu DDE. Its ubuntu 20.04 with deepin environment, sounds cool for me.

I didn't know about Ubuntu DDE, but I see that this will be its first official release ( https://ubuntudde.com/ ) :)

Yes yes.. but im waiting for the stable release. ? and maybe deepin 20 integration (v20 of deepin is in beta stage too).

Thanked by (1)angstrom
  • havochavoc OGContent Writer

Ubuntu releases always make me unreasonably happy even though realistically I'm not going to use any of the new features.

Thanked by (2)angstrom dedotatedwam
  • I will upgrade desktop after 12-15 mos

Thanked by (1)angstrom
  • XFCE or LXQT. Minimal install. Have spent way too many hours installing full blown versions and then uninstalling stuff I know would not use.

Had tried one of the early betas and don’t even remember getting excited . I salute the folks and Distrowatch and other sites who do this day after day, distro after distro

Thanked by (1)angstrom
  • @vimalware said:
    I will upgrade desktop after 12-15 mos

It's usually recommended to upgrade after the .1 minor version is released, which will probably be in August :)

• @vyas said:
    XFCE or LXQT. Minimal install. Have spent way too many hours installing full blown versions and then uninstalling stuff I know would not use.

Had tried one of the early betas and don’t even remember getting excited . I salute the folks and Distrowatch and other sites who do this day after day, distro after distro

Admittedly, it's kind of hard to get excited about XFCE or LXQT per se :)

Instead, the excitement comes from an LTS release, and more generally, from the feeling that despite all of the uncertainty in our daily lives, especially at this time, there's some familiarity and continuity in an LTS release, as though we could all count on being alive for another five years :)

(Not expressed too dramatically, I hope :) )

Thanked by (1)bugrakoc

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Hosting ProviderOG

aand the ISOs are available to download --> http://releases.ubuntu.com/20.04/

Thanked by (1)angstrom

CrownCloud - Internet Services | Los Angeles, California | Frankfurt, Germany | Amsterdam, The Netherlands | Atlanta, Georgia | Miami, Florida

• WSSWSS OGRetired

Meh. If you like how Debian works, use Debian. If you need training wheels, mint is actually more polished.

Thanked by (3)angstrom flips dahartigan

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• @WSS said:
    Meh. If you like how Debian works, use Debian. If you need training wheels, mint is actually more polished.

Don't be a party pooper!

• @SpeedBus said:
    aand the ISOs are available to download --> http://releases.ubuntu.com/20.04/

True, but the web page still hasn't been updated

DistroWatch have just announced Lubuntu 20.04 :)

Thanked by (1)SpeedBus

• @WSS said:

I have nothing against the extra polish of Mint (and the extra polish is real, if you like it), but beyond Cinnamon (which could be viewed as "GNOME 3 as a traditional desktop"), one could argue that Ubuntu brings more to Debian than Mint brings to Ubuntu

• vyasvyas OG
    edited April 2020

Congratulations on your below observation Now I am looking to leave the Lubuntu download running, as I step out to walk my dog.

P.s: has anyone tried the distros by Exton Linux? Seems like a one man show, but the guy keeps churning out custom distros every week.

http://www.exton.se/

@angstrom said:

I have nothing against the extra polish of Mint (and the extra polish is real, if you like it), but beyond Cinnamon (which could be viewed as "GNOME 3 as a traditional desktop"), one could argue that Ubuntu brings more to Debian than Mint brings to Ubuntu

Thanked by (1)angstrom
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

@angstrom said:

@WSS said:

I was just going to take a general potshot, but since you want to continue-

Yeah. Often fairly foolish people who try to install wrong packages because they think they're the same thing, and pointless support tickets about how things don't work exactly the same, and we could go on from there. Everyone's welcome to use whatever they want, but I find a majority of the clueless users choose Ubuntu.

Thanked by (1)Dream

• @WSS said:

@angstrom said:

@WSS said:

I was just going to take a general potshot, but since you want to continue-

Yeah. Often fairly foolish people who try to install wrong packages because they think they're the same thing, and pointless support tickets about how things don't work exactly the same, and we could go on from there. Everyone's welcome to use whatever they want, but I find a majority of the clueless users choose Ubuntu.

@WSS, I'm in a good mood at the moment, please don't try to ruin it! :)

I would concede that Ubuntu attracts a high number of clueless users, which is no doubt due to its status in the general public as the most familiar "easy-to-use" Linux distribution. This status is at once both a curse and a virtue. At the same time, there are also plenty of knowledgeable users who choose Ubuntu for its familiarity and "ease of use". It really cuts both ways.

• edited April 2020

Ubuntu's web page has now been updated to reflect Ubuntu 20.04 LTS: https://ubuntu.com/

Thanked by (1)vimalware

• Kernel panic if I boot the server installer with less than 1GB of RAM
    • I can select a non-English keyboard, but the installer will capture the introduced password using an English keyboard layout anyway.
    • cloud-init stuck during the first boot after install, hard reboot needed

And now I just need to easily configure the network with YAML using Netplan!

Thanked by (3)angstrom WSS vimalware

First boot in,

root@my:~# uname -a
    Linux my.vps.server 5.4.0-26-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 20 16:58:30 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Pretty good RAM usage,

root@my:~# free -m
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:           1987         132        1505           0         349        1706
    Swap:           511           0         511
    root@my:~#

Around 2.1 GB (minimal install, only SSH was selected, all updates installed (2 packages so far), no other extra packages installed)

root@my:~# df -h
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    udev            952M     0  952M   0% /dev
    tmpfs           199M  972K  198M   1% /run
    /dev/vda3       5.4G  2.1G  3.1G  41% /
    tmpfs           994M     0  994M   0% /dev/shm
    tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
    tmpfs           994M     0  994M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup

Thanked by (2)angstrom vimalware

CrownCloud - Internet Services | Los Angeles, California | Frankfurt, Germany | Amsterdam, The Netherlands | Atlanta, Georgia | Miami, Florida

• @Nyr said: Kernel panic if I boot the server installer with less than 1GB of RAM

Somehow this doesn't surprise me -- it was bound to happen sooner than later

Also, this is the first LTS version without i386 (unfortunately, but understandably)

Thanked by (1)vimalware

• @ionut said:

Huh, not sure what deepin is or if I should check it out. I have stuck with XFCE when not running i3 ... (Did use LXDE for a while, but think it moved to QT.)

On another note, many Norwegians would find the DDE name either funny or annoying. (It's a popular Norwegian redneck rock band.)

• WSSWSS OGRetired

Void and OpenBSD are still available.

Neither one takes a fuckton of RAM.

• gollum voice Lets makes our proxmox template ver 0.0.1

• @WSS said:
    Void and OpenBSD are still available.

Neither one takes a fuckton of RAM.

Thank you for your input, Mr. Scrooge

Thanked by (1)dedotatedwam

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

Guess I better get to templating then.

Thanked by (3)angstrom vyas Elmo

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @AnthonySmith said:

Super silly Q: how does one make templates?

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@vyas said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Super silly Q: how does one make templates?

In simple terms, you install it, take out any extra crap, shut it down, run some prep tools on it from libvirt, pack the disk image, mount it offline, insert some first boot scripts to update it and create the swap and thats it.

Thanked by (3)vyas WSS dedotatedwam

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited April 2020

Slightly interesting process to template out this one, had to remove cloud-init as it just wouldn't reset the seed (thus re-creating the same instance-id again and again) irrespective of cloud-init clean used when building the template. Probably need to read more into cloud-init, seems very useful.

Apart from that, pretty decent template size, 3GB (could possibly get it down to ~2.5G if I re-wrote how I handle the swap partition).

https://blog.crowncloud.net/post/announcements/ubuntu-20-04-now-available/

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@AnthonySmith said:
    In simple terms, you install it, take out any extra crap, shut it down, run some prep tools on it from libvirt, pack the disk image, mount it offline, insert some first boot scripts to update it and create the swap and thats it.

Yep. I guess I need to build one of those, myself. I am a bit shocked at how people refuse to let go of CentOS 6; I finally got them to stop requesting Debian 7.