Want to start with BGP and stuff, any good resources?

Hi,
as per title, I wanna try to get myself into the magical world of BGP, trying to announce a subnet and stuff. Of course I'm gonna do it in a private network (i found DN42 so far, but i'll see if i find others i guess?).

I'm familiar with "high level" IPv4 (i know what TCP and UDP is, how to create a network, DNS, broadcasts and all that stuff), no experience with IPv6 (except following some tutorials to set it up on my server).

What are some good resources to follow? I understand how BGP is supposed to do, but stuff like the routing itself, or how to set it up is unknown territory for me. So far I've found various resources, but most take for granted I'm actually already familiar with the protocol.

Comments

• comicomi OG
    edited April 2020

Well basics of BGP are brutally simple. Add list of subnet you have inside your AS, add peer; do the same on the other side. That's freaking it.

That of course is a lie that creates false sense of security. I would suggest researching BGP filtering (hot topic) and looking up unfamiliar terms.

If you want a book, I believe every major IT publisher has one.
    This for example http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596002541.do

• WSSWSS OGRetired

Dammit.

There's a project for routing private network space live where everyone can basically ask to join and peers will help you which would be perfect here, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• @WSS said:
    Dammit.

There's a project for routing private network space live where everyone can basically ask to join and peers will help you which would be perfect here, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

DN42?

Thanked by (3)Clouvider WSS berkay
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

@wdmg said:

@WSS said:
    Dammit.

DN42?

Thank you! @foxone

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• Can't recommend DN42 enough :)