What is the worst server that you actively make use of?

edited May 2020 in General

I am curious to see what the worst server that you have managed to find a non idle use for. Worst can be technical specs, reliability, or anything really.

Comments

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

Upgraded a hardware node with ESX without checking supported network cards.

Now sometimes the NIC stops working, I have to connect to the console and bring the NIC down, manually set the configuration(1000 full duplex) and bring the NIC online again.
    Sometimes I have to repeat the process of down, set, up a couple of times before it comes back online.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• Pretty sure people only really use HostSolutions.ro to run Seedboxes, nginx file directory mirrors and relays. I have yet to hear of a novel use for a HostSolutions VM outside of those usecases.

• I recently setup an RPi3+ with FreeBSD as my home server. Does that count?

I also have a Thinkstation D30 which has an iffy UEFI implementation, but I keep trying. :smile:

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@mikho said:

igb?

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

I have a freebie 64MB KVM from Virmach they gave away for Easter in 2018. I use it as an IPv6 trampoline through Hurricane Electrics' TunnelBroker.

@WSS said:

@mikho said:

igb?

I gave birth?

It’s before 7 am and I have no clue why I’m up.
    Do please explain as part of me obviously haven’t woken up yet.

• A while back I was looking for a storage VPS for backups, and one of the providers I tried out had such absolutely horrible disk I/O performance. An fio benchmark returned a result of 0.58 MB/s. I think the IDE hard drive I had in my first computer (a 486 with a 600 MB drive) would have been faster. Got rid of that VPS pretty quickly.

One that I've still got is a NAT VPS in Hong Kong, as I needed more nodes in Asia for https://dnstools.ws/. Disk IO is extremely slow even though it's supposed to be SSD storage, and trying to boot netboot.xyz via iPXE actually locks up the VPS and requires contacting support to unstick it. I've never seen that before.

One of the VPSes I've got right now is working fine, no issues with the server itself, but the company is extremely unresponsive. I've never seen a host just ignore tickets for four months, yet here we are:

@Daniel said:
    One of the VPSes I've got right now is working fine, no issues with the server itself, but the company is extremely unresponsive. I've never seen a host just ignore tickets for four months, yet here we are:

Glad that isn’t my ticket.
    I have one open ticket with a customer for a long time. still waiting for a solution from Virtualizor so I can reply.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

nothing really baaaaaad for annual vpses.

the lowest performing would be virmach with what it seems to be throttled cpu, but SSD i/o is decent after complaints and cache change, and network is mostly fast and stable. working well on production when its not too busy.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• An annual VirMach box, that has horrible I/O and high CPU steal, but has proven to be reliable and zero downtime so far. Whenever you deploy something, the load spikes pretty badly and it seems to take forever, but as soon as the containers are running, everything is fine. :P

• Anything from Scaleway.

1. Raspberry Pi Zero W: surveillance camera.
    2. Beaglebone Black: file server, with storage on the home router accessed via CIFS.
    3. Virmach 384MB KVM: Asterisk.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @cybertech said: he lowest performing would be virmach

I hear this a lot about VirMach, but one of the best performing VPSes I've got is with VirMach, from their 2018 Black Friday sale. It's a beast of a server though: 4 vCores @ 3 GHz, 10 GB RAM and 120 GB SSD.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@mikho said:

@WSS said:

@mikho said:

igb?

I gave birth?

There are several semi-buggy intel drivers for Linux. igb is the worst of them. Run ethtool -i 'ethernet device name'
    Perhaps I can assist.

@WSS said:

@mikho said:

@WSS said:

@mikho said:

igb?

I gave birth?

There are several semi-buggy intel drivers for Linux. igb is the worst of them. Run ethtool -i 'ethernet device name'
    Perhaps I can assist.

I’m moving my last few VMs from it.
    It will die a slow death soon(tm) enough.

It’s not that often it happens.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@mikho said:

@WSS said:

@mikho said:

@WSS said:

@mikho said:

igb?

I gave birth?

Perhaps I can assist.

I’m moving my last few VMs from it.
    It will die a slow death soon(tm) enough.

It’s not that often it happens.

Well, you can just tell me what you get from ethtool and I can probably help keep it working.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

As a corollary, my best dedi service has been from @Dedispec.

David has gone out of his way to handle my rather bizarre personal OS requests, and handles my every-few-months bitching when three or four ICMP drops - for what is likely a loss leader. I'd hate to be my own customer.

• A VPS from ruvds, the provider limit the io at 2.4MB/s.
    Have no idea how to make use of it.

Thanked by (1)Emmet

Action and Reaction in history

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@elliotc said:
    A VPS from ruvds, the provider limit the io at 2.4MB/s.
    Have no idea how to make use of it.

DNS or MX. You don't really need to beat the fuck out of something for it to be useful.

• @WSS said:
    I have a freebie 64MB KVM from Virmach they gave away for Easter in 2018. I use it as an IPv6 trampoline through Hurricane Electrics' TunnelBroker.

Hey i also have this vps.
    Can you let me know how you did it? So at least i can use the vps for something :)

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@SuriCloud said:
    Can you let me know how you did it? So at least i can use the vps for something :)

Installed OpenBSD on it.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@Daniel said:

@cybertech said: he lowest performing would be virmach

I hear this a lot about VirMach, but one of the best performing VPSes I've got is with VirMach, from their 2018 Black Friday sale. It's a beast of a server though: 4 vCores @ 3 GHz, 10 GB RAM and 120 GB SSD.

I've heard about that too but not too many. In buffalo or San Jose?

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @cybertech said: I've heard about that too but not too many. In buffalo or San Jose?

Buffalo. Would have been nice to get a server in San Jose as that's very close to where I live at the moment.

I've actually got two servers from Black Friday 2018. The one that I mentioned earlier, and one with the same processor, 8 GB RAM (instead of 10 GB) and 60 GB SSD (instead of 120 GB). I'm trying to move everything onto the larger one so I can get rid of the smaller one. I've been using them for monitoring of other servers (Prometheus + Grafana) and a Jenkins build server. No problems at all. The only issue I've had is the lack of IPv6, but I'm using HE Tunnelbroker for that.

Thanked by (1)cybertech
  • havochavoc OGContent Writer

Running websites for family members on a GCP free tier VM.

0.2 vCPU

..yep...0.2

Thanked by (1)FlamingSpaceJunk
  • I have an Ubuntu 12.04 VM I only just upgraded to 14.04 the other day.

• PowerEdge T310 running my home AD environment and pfsense

• I have a old Dell Inspiron laptop I used to run as a home server. One of the RAM slots was bad so you were capped to 256MB of RAM, with a Core 2 Solo CPU (no 64-bit support!), the NIC maxed out at 100Mbps, and I stuffed a 80GB 5400RPM HDD with a handful of bad sectors into it. It acted as my local DNS caching server & jumpbox for at home. I still have that laptop stuffed away somewhere.

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• @havoc said:

0.2 vCPU

..yep...0.2

I think you have to pay now for the ip adress?

• @SuriCloud said:

@havoc said:

0.2 vCPU

..yep...0.2

I think you have to pay now for the ip adress?

Free gets 1 IP free, You pay out the nose for bandwidth however.

• People use their VIrmach VPS's ?