So I asked Windscribe's Chatbot about Logs & DMCA (trolls)

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

Not sure if that is of interest to some WS users here but thought I'd share it.

@AnthonySmith since you are using WS :)

Comments

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

Interesting, I wonder if I could get away with using that answer when nob heads use the NAT services for public torrents, usually some shit like love island.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited May 2020

@AnthonySmith said:
    Interesting, I wonder if I could get away with using that answer when nob heads use the NAT services for public torrents, usually some shit like love island.

I guess you can always try :P

Could be that VPN providers are acknowleded to have another position than just regular vps providers though. Since they are known for being privacy oriented (at least on the ads).

Probably also depends on the vps location. A spain court recently declined a copyright troll claim: https://torrentfreak.com/spanish-court-throws-out-copyright-trolling-case-190702/

I googled Love Island. I shouldn't have.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@Ympker said: I googled Love Island. I shouldn't have.

Its everything wrong in the world.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@AnthonySmith said:

Ex on the beach is another of those classics.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• i heard this from a guy in youtube via some Chinese master - best line of defence "never be there" -

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @AnthonySmith said:

So that's what keeps happening to my torrents!?!?

@AnthonySmith said:

It is a classic of the genre, and a pinnacle of early 21st century television. So much research and resources went into making it. :p

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • NyrNyr OG
    edited May 2020

It is very unlikely that they respond like that, probably only marketing speak for their customers.

In the real world, they probably don't respond to DMCA notices, they have no need to and replying with that bullshit would create some liabilities.

@Ympker said: Probably also depends on the vps location. A spain court recently declined a copyright troll claim: https://torrentfreak.com/spanish-court-throws-out-copyright-trolling-case-190702/

And a different regional court admitted other claims, there are sentenced customers already. Also the ISP didn't fight for their customers until lots of bad press was hurting their business, which is kind of normal as most domestic ISPs have close ties to media conglomerates.

Spain is like France or The Netherlands when it comes to P2P abuse, the ISPs mostly don't care. But it doesn't mean that we have a framework like you would in some Eastern European countries where copyright law just doesn't matter in this regard.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited May 2020

@Nyr said:
    It is very unlikely that they respond like that, probably only marketing speak for their customers.

In the real world, they probably don't respond to DMCA notices, they have no need to and replying with that bullshit would create some liabilities.

@Ympker said: Probably also depends on the vps location. A spain court recently declined a copyright troll claim: https://torrentfreak.com/spanish-court-throws-out-copyright-trolling-case-190702/

And a different regional court admitted other claims, there are sentenced customers already. Also the ISP didn't fight for their customers until lots of bad press was hurting their business, which is kind of normal as most domestic ISPs have close ties to media conglomerates.

Spain is like France or The Netherlands when it comes to P2P abuse, the ISPs mostly don't care. But it doesn't mean that we have a framework like you would in some Eastern European countries where copyright law just doesn't matter in this regard.

Fair enough. I believe like in NL it shouldn't be a problem in Spain to dl/stream linux isos (dl not torrent/upload) for personal use.
    At least my spanish flat mate in Valencia did that like all the time.

• NyrNyr OG
    edited May 2020

@Ympker said: Fair enough. I believe like in NL it shouldn't be a problem in Spain to dl/stream linux isos (dl not torrent/upload) for personal use.

Download/streaming is of course not a problem, other than the fact that many of the major sites are blocked.

Torrents were absolutely fine until last year when this troll started operating here. Spain has a big P2P culture and while nowadays most people uses the legit platforms, there is a non despreciable amount of people using P2P exclusively.

P2P was ridiculously big a decade ago in Spain, and there is still plenty of people using it. If the trolling continues, P2P users will just migrate to VPNs, I guess.

About the hosting market: most VPS or dedi providers in Spain will not complain about your P2P traffic, but France is cheaper and has better peering anyway, so OVH and Online are very popular choices here.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@Nyr said:

@Ympker said: Fair enough. I believe like in NL it shouldn't be a problem in Spain to dl/stream linux isos (dl not torrent/upload) for personal use.

Download/streaming is of course not a problem, other than the fact that many of the major sites are blocked.

Torrents were absolutely fine until last year when this troll started operating here. Spain has a big P2P culture and while nowadays most people uses the legit platforms, there is a non despreciable amount of people using P2P exclusively.

P2P was ridiculously big a decade ago in Spain, and there is still plenty of people using it. If the trolling continues, P2P users will just migrate to VPNs, I guess.

About the hosting market: most VPS or dedi providers in Spain will not complain about your P2P traffic, but France is cheaper and has better peering anyway, so OVH and Online are very popular choices here.

Thanks for the headsup :) I barely use it for this stuff anyway just felt like in Spain literally nobody spent a second thought about dl/streaming Dragon Ball or whatever.

• @Nyr said:

Laughs in Eastern European.

But nah, you are right. Used to work one of the local ISPs. They really dont give a damn what you do with your internet as long as you pay the hefty price for it lol

I'm the 85%. Also Elon likes memes hence he's an idiot.