Keepsolid SmartDNS Lifetime 30% OFF - now 28$

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
edited May 2020 in Must See Deals

Just snacked this one myself just now since I am happy with VPN Unlimited/Keepsolid but a SmartDNS can certainly be faster for streaming which is my main usage nowadays.
Also got Getflix SmartDNS Lifetime, however there lifetime is set to expire in 2032.
With Keepsolid all Lifetime Deals are actually displayed without expiration date ;)

Also, perhaps it'll perform better than Getflix.

https://stacksocial.com/sales/keepsolid-smartdns-lifetime-subscription

Product Info: https://www.keepsolid.com/smartdns/

Use code: DN30 upon checkout.

Edit: Damn! This time they are challenging me. 100 Years instead of lifetime :disappointed:

Thanked by (4)beagle ehab Harambe benj0x

Comments

• beaglebeagle OG
    edited May 2020

Thank you for the heads up.

Do you know how does this restriction work?

Restrictions: Register only 1 IP address per 1 account; you can update your IP address at any time

I've setup separate VLANs on my pfSense to route to VPNs on different countries. Not sure how that would work with a SmartDNS.

How do you select your location on this service?

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited May 2020

@beagle said:
    Thank you for the heads up.

Do you know how does this restriction work?

Restrictions: Register only 1 IP address per 1 account; you can update your IP address at any time

Yes, it's the same like Getflix I believe. When you use their DNS servers the DNS Server checks whether your IP is whitelisted aka whether you paid for the service/have an active sub. You can only assign 1 IP to your account at a time (to avoid sharing). Since usually all devices in your home network share the same outgoing IP from ISP you can still use it on all devices or.. Like me on router level. When you are on mobile data or like me, a couple of weeks ago, in Spain or elsewhere you can just update the whitelisted IP to your current one in the user dashboard or mobile app to be able to use the smartdns again :)

Maybe this screenshot helps:

Thanked by (1)beagle

According to support:

With KeepSolid SmartDNS you can currently watch US Flix, US Hulu, US Prime, UK BBCiPlayer, ITV, Sony Crackle, RaiTV, HBO Now, CBS, Popcornflix, Disney+, ESPN+, Fubo TV, Tubi, Pluto TV, Philo.

@beagle in case you are interested :P They are planning to expand this list though.

Thanked by (1)beagle
  • @Ympker said:
    According to support:

With KeepSolid SmartDNS you can currently watch US Flix, US Hulu, US Prime, UK BBCiPlayer, ITV, Sony Crackle, RaiTV, HBO Now, CBS, Popcornflix, Disney+, ESPN+, Fubo TV, Tubi, Pluto TV, Philo.

@beagle in case you are interested :P They are planning to expand this list though.

What's your experience with KeepSolid? How does this compare with Getflix (does this support Android/iOS app, since iirc Getflix lifetime doesn't)?

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@sanvit said:

@Ympker said:
    According to support:

What's your experience with KeepSolid? How does this compare with Getflix (does this support Android/iOS app, since iirc Getflix lifetime doesn't)?

Keepsolid VPN does have iOS and Android Apps. Keepsolid SmartDNS, too afaik. Haven't tested the apps yet though.
    Although for SmartDNS you don't really need an app as all your home network devices usually share the same outgoing IP so as long as you have whitelisted that IP in the dashboard they all can use the SmartDNS if you put it in the devices DNS settings.
    Keepsolid DNS android apps seems to allow to update the whitelisted IP and set your devices DNS to Keepsolid DNS (if you give the app permission to do so).

Currently I have configured Getflix DNS on my router so all devices have it. Works great. I got Keepsolid DNS as a backup but will keep using Getflix for now since it supports more channels.

• @Ympker said:

@sanvit said:

@Ympker said:
    According to support:

Keepsolid VPN does have iOS and Android Apps. Keepsolid SmartDNS, too afaik. Haven't tested the apps yet though.
    Although for SmartDNS you don't really need an app as all your home network devices usually share the same outgoing IP so as long as you have whitelisted that IP in the dashboard they all can use the SmartDNS if you put it in the devices DNS settings.
    Keepsolid DNS android apps seems to allow to update the whitelisted IP and set your devices DNS to Keepsolid DNS (if you give the app permission to do so).

Currently I have configured Getflix DNS on my router so all devices have it. Works great. I got Keepsolid DNS as a backup but will keep using Getflix for now since it supports more channels.

I was actually talking about the Netflix app. iirc Getflix only supported Netflix on PC browsers and not Android/iOS app (for the lifetime plan). Could you test if KS's DNS is able to unblock Netflix on Android?

@sanvit said:

@Ympker said:

@sanvit said:

@Ympker said:
    According to support:

I was actually talking about the Netflix app. iirc Getflix only supported Netflix on PC browsers and not Android/iOS app (for the lifetime plan). Could you test if KS's DNS is able to unblock Netflix on Android?

Ah... gotcha. Yeah, I can try that :)

Thanked by (1)sanvit
    edited May 2020

Yeah. Works flawlessly it seems @sanvit :)
    The Android App Keepsolid Smartdns connects to their DNS showing as a VPN connection on Android. I was able to watch The Office US. Appears to be DNS over VPN. You can also configure the DNS servers from Keepsolid in your android device settings manually though (without using the app): https://www.keepsolid.com/smartdns/manuals/smartdns-setup-for-android

Thanked by (1)sanvit
  • sanvitsanvit OG
    edited May 2020

@Ympker said:
    The Android App Keepsolid Smartdns connects to their DNS showing as a VPN connection on Android. I was able to watch The Office US. Appears to be DNS over VPN. You can also configure the DNS servers from Keepsolid in your android device settings manually though (without using the app): https://www.keepsolid.com/smartdns/manuals/smartdns-setup-for-android

Oooh, sounds great. Thanks for the check :D
    btw, a bit offtopick, but that looks like MIUI? How is MIUI lately? Haven't used Xiaomi for quite some time now.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited May 2020

@sanvit said:

@Ympker said:

Oooh, sounds great. Thanks for the check :disappointed:
    btw, a bit offtopick, but that looks like MIUI? How is MIUI lately? Haven't used Xiaomi for quite some time now.

Yeah, it works great on the Android App (havent tried manually changing my Android DNS since I found the app button for enable/disable way more comfy) :)

I have a Redmi Note 8 Pro and am really happy. Looks clean and is stable. Nice switch from Android One.

Thanked by (1)sanvit
  • What is this and how does it bypass geoip? Is it some kind of proxy service that MITMs your connection?

edited May 2020

@foxone said:
    What is this and how does it bypass geoip? Is it some kind of proxy service that MITMs your connection?

Basically, by using a Smart DNS Service Provider's DNS service your traffic gets routed through some kind of Proxy to make otherwhise geo-blocked content available to you. The advantage/difference to unblocking content with a VPN is speed. Due to no encryption taking place it's way more performant for streaming.

Maybe smth. like this helps explaining.

https://www.smartydns.com/knowledge-base/what-is-smart-dns/#how-smart-dns-works

Thanked by (1)Abdullah
  • Ah, so they probably answer some streaming-related domains with their own servers, using a transparent proxy. That's nice

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited May 2020

Probably. I experience way more smooth/faster playback of Streams on Flix etc using a SmartDNS as compared to VPN.
    What's more, almost any device on which you could stream (or just set it up on router level for all devices in your home) supports setting your own DNS records. Without loosing speed overall, other people in the house won't notice a difference while you can still unblock all the content.

The fact that Getflix/Keepsolid only routes the traffic for Streaming Websites through their servers but not all website traffic (as opposed to a VPN) is also quite useful. This way, while connected to SmartDNS you can still use all other websites normally and they will not suddenly ask "huh, why did you connect from the US?".

• Is there some kind of an API for updating the IP? I'm still stuck with daily IPv4 changes :disappointed:

@benj0x said:
    Is there some kind of an API for updating the IP? I'm still stuck with daily IPv4 changes :disappointed:

The Android app has a feature to update automatically :) You could also ask support.

• @Ympker said: @beagle in case you are interested :P They are planning to expand this list though.

They missed CBC Gem. A lot of material not covered by BBC iPlayer.

@Emmet said:

@Ympker said: @beagle in case you are interested :P They are planning to expand this list though.

They missed CBC Gem. A lot of material not covered by BBC iPlayer.

Is CBC Gem different from CBC (no idea about either lol)? Because CBC is on the list.

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

@foxone said:
    Ah, so they probably answer some streaming-related domains with their own servers, using a transparent proxy. That's nice

So all these streaming sites don't use DNSSEC.? :)
    I'm thinking if that is possible with dnssec enabled.

Thanked by (1)benj0x
  • @Ympker said: Is CBC Gem different from CBC (no idea about either lol)? Because CBC is on the list.

Probably the same but I didn't see it on your list.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • bdlbdl OG
    edited May 2020

Does keepsolid have the dynamic dns option like getflix - as in, you put in a dynamic dns name and it automatically updates the 'allowed' IP when the dynamic dns IP changes? ? Thinking of grabbing it as a backup to getflix...

@bdl said:
    Does keepsolid have the dynamic dns option like getflix - as in, you put in a dynamic dns name and it automatically updates the 'allowed' IP when the dynamic dns IP changes? ? Thinking of grabbing it as a backup to getflix...

Doesn't seem to work unfortunately. I can't enter mydomain.com in manual IP entry. However the android app can update the IP automatically.

Thanked by (1)bdl
  • @Ympker said:

@bdl said:

Doesn't seem to work unfortunately. I can't enter mydomain.com in manual IP entry. However the android app can update the IP automatically.

Thanks for the feedback! Any other pros/cons vs getflix?

edited May 2020

@bdl said:

@Ympker said:

@bdl said:

Thanks for the feedback! Any other pros/cons vs getflix?

Getflix has way more channels supported. For me that means Getflix has CR US, Keepsolid SmartDNS not (yet). The other major players (Flix, Prime, Hulu) are there.

Thanked by (1)bdl
  • not seeing anywhere or how to enter the code, nor any listing of a lifetime membership.

@darb said:
    not seeing anywhere or how to enter the code, nor any listing of a lifetime membership.

Did you follow the link to Stacksocial in OP?
    https://stacksocial.com/sales/keepsolid-smartdns-lifetime-subscription

Did you then , after the purchase on Stacksocial follow the instructions for redeeming your key?

• Thanks for the share @Ympker - didn't need it myself, but my buddy in Mexico was looking for a cheap way to watch US Netflix on his TV boxes and this seems to fit the bill. Working well so far apparently.

The lifetime deals always sketch me out a bit, but I've been fairly lucky with the ones I did pick up. Best so far has been my Windscribe Pro Lifetime which was like ~$40 2.5-3 yrs back and still works great, use it daily.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

🦍🍌

edited May 2020

@Harambe said:
    Thanks for the share @Ympker - didn't need it myself, but my buddy in Mexico was looking for a cheap way to watch US Netflix on his TV boxes and this seems to fit the bill. Working well so far apparently.

The lifetime deals always sketch me out a bit, but I've been fairly lucky with the ones I did pick up. Best so far has been my Windscribe Pro Lifetime which was like ~$40 2.5-3 yrs back and still works great, use it daily.

Windscribe Pro is premium <3 Glad I could be of help hehe :)

I am with Keepsolid VPN Lifetime since 2016, like 39$ back then..soo...yeah. Any year longer, I'll take happily :)

• Hi @Ympker

I used to have Getflix when it did unlock Netflix. Do you know if this one unlocks Netflix UK? For that I'm currently running Windscribe, but I have it only for one year, unfortunately.

@Ouji said:
    Hi @Ympker

I used to have Getflix when it did unlock Netflix. Do you know if this one unlocks Netflix UK? For that I'm currently running Windscribe, but I have it only for one year, unfortunately.

The list they gave me can be found a site earlier. It did only include Flix US iirc.