Who's into fleet provisioning?

I'm curious, how does everyone provision their server fleet?

Packet.net released Tinkerbell under the Apache 2.0 license today, which got me thinking about the last time I needed to deal with provisioning lots of servers and the plans which were made. There are other baremetal provisioning systems out there, like cobbler, MASS, and razor, and there are VM provisioning systems like OpenNebula. What's good, bad, or has lots of gotchas?

Tagged:

Comments

• WSSWSS OGRetired

I'll have to play with that. I've been playing with stuff like Foreman, but haven't found anything I really like.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• iandkiandk Hosting ProviderOG

Seems interesting!
    Never looked into bare metal provisioning

AMD EPYC / NVMe / 10GBPs KVM in Frankfurt - https://v6node.com
    Looking for an unbeatable AMD EPYC Baremetal Server in Frankfurt? Drop me a PM

• There's not a great solution.> @WSS said:

I'll have to play with that. I've been playing with stuff like Foreman, but haven't found anything I really like.

Yeah, there's nothing that's really great, and the stuff out there is pretty obscure.

Playing with provisioning could be an excuse to buy more hardware. :lol: I just need a palette, and then I'll be good.

@Hetzner_OL How does Hetzner provision their stuff? I understand if it's secret sauce, but it would be a neat article for hardware junkies.

Thanked by (3)WSS vimalware Hetzner_OL
  • DreamDream OGServices Provider

Just plain old ipxe and preseed files.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Hosting ProviderOG

@FlamingSpaceJunk - We tend to keep information like this to ourselves, just as a general security precaution. I can't give you this inside information, but I can give you a completely unrelated picture that one of our coworkers took the other day:

This time of year, a lot of people take pictures of blossoming flowers and budding trees. He chose to take a picture of a leaf -- one of our cloud leaf switches. ;) --Katie

Thanked by (1)FlamingSpaceJunk

We're Katie and Lea and we'll do our best to answer questions you have about Hetzner Online. We and not our employer are responsible for any horrible puns and dated cultural references.

• @Hetzner_OL said:

This time of year, a lot of people take pictures of blossoming flowers and budding trees. He chose to take a picture of a leaf -- one of our cloud leaf switches. ;) --Katie

It's beautiful. :o

• WSSWSS OGRetired

You need less nerd friends, Katie.

• edited May 2020

Pfff. If you've seen one tree, you've seen them all.*

*Excluding redwoods and sequoias which are massive, and it's hard to comprehend exactly how big they are until they are right there.

Thanked by (1)WSS
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

@FlamingSpaceJunk said:
    Pfff. If you've seen one tree, you've seen them all.*

*Excluding redwoods and sequoias which are massive, and it's hard to comprehend exactly how big they are until they are right there.

Even standing next to one, you can't really tell, because it's virtually impossible to see the top. They really are awesome, though. I miss being a couple hours away from the redwoods. I would go there, take a book, and just decompress leaning against one for a couple days.

If California wasn't outright poison to the soul, I'd consider a road trip.

• @WSS said:
    Even standing next to one, you can't really tell, because it's virtually impossible to see the top.

True. Being at the base and feeling like an ant is still mind bending.

If California wasn't outright poison to the soul, I'd consider a road trip.

Be fair. It's the outstanding warrants. ;)

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@FlamingSpaceJunk said:

To be fair, those were written by "Moors." They have no standing place in reality. That said, she really was an awesome catch at 22 years old.

• edited May 2020

@WSS said:

@FlamingSpaceJunk said:

To be fair, those were written by "Moors." They have no standing place in reality. That said, she really was an awesome catch at 22 years old.

I was setting up a joke about tree hugging and a Dead Kennedys reference. What are you talking about?

• WSSWSS OGRetired

I was doing a similar joke, but about weirdos who claim they were here before the colonization. Guess yours was better.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Hosting ProviderOG

@WSS said: You need less nerd friends, Katie.

That's the story of my life. But I think "jock" friends come with a whole other set of issues.

@FlamingSpaceJunk said: > True. Being at the base and feeling like an ant is still mind bending.

It's really high up on my bucket list. :)

We're Katie and Lea and we'll do our best to answer questions you have about Hetzner Online. We and not our employer are responsible for any horrible puns and dated cultural references.

• @WSS said:
    I was doing a similar joke, but about weirdos who claim they were here before the colonization. Guess yours was better.

Maybe a slight bit more context. Colonization is a pretty broad brush, and I'm only roughly familiar with California history because that's not something they talk about in Texas.

I doubt it. No one would pay me to write this stuff. :lol:

@Hetzner_OL said:
    It's really high up on my bucket list. :)

You should do it! Not now, but soon-ish. It's not an experience that can be replicated, and it doesn't disappoint.