IP: 1 IPv4 (IPv6 coming soon)
Bandwidth: 1 Gbps, symmetrical, unmetered, fair use
Linux distributions: Ubuntu 20.04, CentOS 8, many more
Price: USD $5.00 per month

Subscribe now (Paypal)

Unsubscribe (srvr.ovh)

More information

Contact and support email: [email protected]

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

Tagged:

Comments

• WSSWSS OGRetired

I'm sure you addressed this in the other thread, but any specific reason you decided on LXC? LXD is basically an extension of that, and I'm not all that sold on LXD, but I prefer a KVM, anyhow- since I can load whatever the heck I want on that.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• one advise, one can get a KVM with that price might be lucky with more ram.
    bring down the price and maybe things get going :)

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@WSS said:
    I'm sure you addressed this in the other thread, but any specific reason you decided on LXC? LXD is basically an extension of that, and I'm not all that sold on LXD, but I prefer a KVM, anyhow- since I can load whatever the heck I want on that.

LXC and KVM are two different methods of creating VPSes.

LXD is a method for managing multiple LXC VPSes across multiple hosts. LXD uses LXC to create VPSes, so all so-called LXD VPSes "actually" are LXC VPSes.

The difference between LXC and KVM is that LXC uses Linux kernel cgroup and namespace facilities to run the VPSes on the kernel and on the hardware of the bare metal host machine, whereas KVM requires a complex, intermediate software layer to emulate all the hardware of an entire virtual machine.

LXC is simpler and faster than KVM. Ubuntu says, "LXD crushes KVM in density and speed".

I am working only with a few servers, so, in my case, the management facilities which LXD offers are not needed.

You are right that "load[ing] whatever the heck I want" requires KVM. But these days, many people want Linux, and there is little reason why anybody who wants a Linux VPS should give up the speed and latency advantages of LXC.

@WSS On a personal note, I know you know all this. For sure! So I imagine you are suggesting, very kindly, that I add a bit of LXC sales pitch. Thank you very much indeed!

Thanked by (1)g4m3r

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@Not_Oles said:
    @WSS On a personal note, I know you know all this. For sure! So I imagine you are suggesting, very kindly, that I add a bit of LXC sales pitch. Thank you very much indeed!

I was primarily asking you to explain your ideologies in doing so. You've explained that, now - and yes, LXD is LXC with better management tools. When they work. :D

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

@ehab said:
    one advise, one can get a KVM with that price might be lucky with more ram.
    bring down the price and maybe things get going :)

Hi @ehab! Thanks for your advice and good wishes!

You're right that VPS prices can be very low, especially when the host server is stuffed with literally hundreds of VPSes.

Why are my prices higher than the lowest?

First, I offer fast-as-metal LXC.

Second, each of my servers has only a few users, not hundreds. So, each of my users gets pretty close to the maximum performance of which the hardware is capable.

Third, each of my users gets support directly from me.

Thanked by (1)ehab

• Totally true. I had a free server from Tom and he was available almost always to help me out with even mundane things.

• I don't like the iops distribution across 16-30 containers (spinning rust). I foresee headaches.
    It's fine for a hobby platform; not a paid offering in 2020.

Hi @vimalware!

You are right that hard disk IO is slower than solid state storage IO.

During my three month free project lots of users tried lots of things. There were zero complaints about slow disk IO.

What I have done a few times when I have wanted really fast storage IO is to set up a file system in RAM. Of course RAM is volatile, but it can be backed up. I imagine a RAM based file system might be even faster than non-volatile, solid state storage.

In many situations the difference between hard disk IO and solid state IO won't cause a significant practical effect. But, if one of my users had a situation where the IO difference mattered, then I would do something to help that user.

Thanked by (2)Ouji vimalware