OpenVZ 7 - 512mb Ram - 15GB disk - 1000GB Bandwidth - 2 x IP4 - 1 x /64 - €3.50 / 3 months [USA/NL]

Comments

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@bibble said:
    @AnthonySmith - What is the reason for choosing to create new OpenVZ 7 offers over KVM etc ? What is the kernel version of OVZ7 ?

Simply that I already offered OpenVZ 6 and was able to convert in place to OpenVZ 7 without needing to stand up additional hardware.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

@YellowHummingbird said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@YellowHummingbird said: Great offer How sure are you that they're not blocking any DNS traffic now?

Very.

Thanks, I can't debug this from my end anymore though (doing a TCPdump doesn't show the DNS request reaching my machine on one of my two IPs, I don't have any firewall installed yet, but I can see ICMP requests get through to that IP, and I can connect to a netcat server on other ports (not 53) on that IP). Is it alright if I just submit a low priority ticket with the details and you can charge me the 22 euros or whatever it is whenever you're more free?

Yeah just pop a ticket in don't worry about the message, I have a lot of extra responsibilities outside of work right now with covid-19 and simply don't have time for the barrage of high priority "why not ping" or "please add ftp" tickets I get daily. no one has actually been charged and I doubt I ever would it is just to encourage people to at least try to help themselves first :)

Thanked by (1)YellowHummingbird

• @AnthonySmith said:

@YellowHummingbird said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@YellowHummingbird said: Great offer How sure are you that they're not blocking any DNS traffic now?

Very.

Thanks, I can't debug this from my end anymore though (doing a TCPdump doesn't show the DNS request reaching my machine on one of my two IPs, I don't have any firewall installed yet, but I can see ICMP requests get through to that IP, and I can connect to a netcat server on other ports (not 53) on that IP). Is it alright if I just submit a low priority ticket with the details and you can charge me the 22 euros or whatever it is whenever you're more free?

Yeah just pop a ticket in don't worry about the message, I have a lot of extra responsibilities outside of work right now with covid-19 and simply don't have time for the barrage of high priority "why not ping" or "please add ftp" tickets I get daily. no one has actually been charged and I doubt I ever would it is just to encourage people to at least try to help themselves first :)

Thanks Anthony, I appreciate it. If it turns out to be my fault, I'm obviously happy to pay :)

• vyasvyas OG
    edited May 2020

@AnthonySmith said:

...... I have an LES exclusive deal in mind for probably early next week, might also do something along those lines.

Two offers is 2x awesome

• @AnthonySmith said:

@vncoupon said:
    Nice offers! On mobile, I click on menu icon, but it don't dropdown.

You mean here or the billing system?

The billing system, but today, I did not encounter this error!

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@AnthonySmith I want to buy 20 128MB services just to install djbdns on them. Obviously I'll have to enable recursive lookup.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

@WSS said:
    @AnthonySmith I want to buy 20 128MB services just to install djbdns on them. Obviously I'll have to enable recursive lookup.

NAT OK?

• Ordered one. Latency to my home is 3.4 ms. Nice B) .

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@AnthonySmith said:

@WSS said:

NAT OK?

Only if you can forward port 53 on 20 other IPs to it. I assume you're willing to do so for $0.0001/yr profit.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• @debaser said:
    Ordered one. Latency to my home is 3.4 ms. Nice B) .

In which location?

• @benj0x said:

@debaser said:
    Ordered one. Latency to my home is 3.4 ms. Nice B) .

In which location?

Netherlands, Rotterdam. Traffic doesn’t even leave the region, unlike other services that always go through Amsterdam.

Thanked by (1)vimalware

@WSS said: Only if you can forward port 53 on 20 other IPs to it. I assume you're willing to do so for $0.0001/yr profit.

:D there was some error.

• flipsflips OG
    edited May 2020

@AnthonySmith said: encourage people to at least try to help themselves first

Always checking Knowledge Base, being subscribed to Announcements RSS, and checking Network Status has turned out to answer most questions! :)

From my home location London has been close to perfect for latency and performance. Maybe I should give NL another try/bench ... :#

• iandkiandk Hosting ProviderOG

I recently ordered the OVZ512 special, but had to notice that the IO performance is particularly slow.
    Mostly between 20mb/s and 40mb/s.

Is this VPS even intended for other things than a small VPN?

AMD EPYC / NVMe / 10GBPs KVM in Frankfurt - https://v6node.com
    Looking for an unbeatable AMD EPYC Baremetal Server in Frankfurt? Drop me a PM

edited May 2020

@iandk said:
    I recently ordered the OVZ512 special, but had to notice that the IO performance is particularly slow.

I have had to fire a bunch of warning shots at people over the last 48 hours certainly for significant load abuse, I will keep a close eye and start issuing shutdowns if required, you should see an improvement over that.

Also it is on spinners, so it will never be groundbreaking speeds.

@iandk said:

Just span up a test VPS the same specs as above on the same node as you to check:

root@test:/# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 4.53316 s, 237 MB/s

Not that I put much store by sequential write tests but there you go, should be fine now.

• Are the KVM services on the same hardware as all these openvz offers?

@sureiam said: Are the KVM services on the same hardware as all these openvz offers?

SSD KVM is on E3's SSD Cached KVM is on E5's

• Rebuilt my Rotterdam LES NAT container to evaluate the Rotterdam location network.

The Rotterdam openvz7 offers would be on similar E3 (sandy/IvyBridge) hosts?

@vimalware said: The Rotterdam openvz7 offers would be on similar E3 (sandy/IvyBridge) hosts?

@sureiam said:
    Are the KVM services on the same hardware as all these openvz offers?

Sorry, I am getting mixed up, there are no KVM Offers in NL, I was talking about UK.

LES NAT is VZ7, if you mean the regular VZ7 ones they are on an older CPU, X56xx series, honestly I forget off the top of my head, upgrades are due.

Thanked by (1)vimalware

• Is it possible to upgrade the 512M to 1G (and retain the promo price)?

• @AnthonySmith said:

@sureiam said:
    Are the KVM services on the same hardware as all these openvz offers?

>

LES NAT is VZ7, if you mean the regular VZ7 ones they are on an older CPU, X56xx series, honestly I forget off the top of my head, upgrades are due.

Well it's clear the VZ7 Nat and regular offers are cheaper and more plentiful than the KVM offers. Just trying to figure out if they are sharing the same physical bare metal server as ssd KVM and/or the cached KVM VPS's.

edited May 2020

Right I see, for years now I have always nested OpenVZ nodes, the reasons for this are that the storage drivers in the newer KVM or Xen kernels actually boost the performance over bare metal for OpenVZ.

Also OpenVZ is just not that stable, if a reboot is required or a kernel panic occurs the node will be back up in a few minutes rather than half an hour or sometimes not at all without manual intervention with the zero post in KVM or HVM.

Additionally in the event of any significant issues moving the entire node to other hardware is a 1 step simple process as is data recovery.

VZ27 for example as you mentioned it occupies around 95% of a Xen HVM node, I don’t sell Xen HVM any more but I still choose it for stability when the circumstances allow it, the other 5% is 1 Inception Hosting regular name server, and the reverse DNS master name server, the ServersNV billing server backup is on there as well but remains shut down.

Honestly if it was possible to make a KVM anode inside a giant 99% of bare metal resource VPS I would do it, technically it is possible but the performance hit is crazy, overall management and customer data backups would become a breeze.

The reason for the price difference is simply density, OpenVZ guests start and run using around 9mb of ram, KVM on the other hand with the overhead of running full virt from the host node and the kernel running in the guest will be a bare minimum of 128mb and they scale accordingly due to the shared kernel nature of OpenVZ put the same stack, services on OpenVZ and KVM then look at the real ram requirements for both from the hostnode in order to run the container vs the VPs and you will see a huge difference.

Thanked by (1)beagle

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Right I see, for years now I have always nested OpenVZ nodes, the reasons for this are that the storage drivers in the newer KVM or Xen kernels actually boost the performance over bare metal for OpenVZ.

Also OpenVZ is just not that stable, if a reboot is required or a kernel panic occurs the node will be back up in a few minutes rather than half an hour or sometimes not at all without manual intervention with the zero post in KVM or HVM.

Additionally in the event of any significant issues moving the entire node to other hardware is a 1 step simple process as is data recovery.

VZ27 for example as you mentioned it occupies around 95% of a Xen HVM node, I don’t sell Xen HVM any more but I still choose it for stability when the circumstances allow it, the other 5% is 1 Inception Hosting regular name server, and the reverse DNS master name server, the ServersNV billing server backup is on there as well but remains shut down.

Honestly if it was possible to make a KVM anode inside a giant 99% of bare metal resource VPS I would do it, technically it is possible but the performance hit is crazy, overall management and customer data backups would become a breeze.

The reason for the price difference is simply density, OpenVZ guests start and run using around 9mb of ram, KVM on the other hand with the overhead of running full virt from the host node and the kernel running in the guest will be a bare minimum of 128mb and they scale accordingly due to the shared kernel nature of OpenVZ put the same stack, services on OpenVZ and KVM then look at the real ram requirements for both from the hostnode in order to run the container vs the VPs and you will see a huge difference.

Neat thanks for the thorough and clear response! Does this mean though that current KVM US ssd customers are sharing resources on the same server as VZ7 users?

@sureiam said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Neat thanks for the thorough and clear response! Does this mean though that current KVM US ssd customers are sharing resources on the same server as VZ7 users?

I don’t have SSD kvm US but I think you mean UK? There are only 2 OpenVZ 7 SSD UK nodes as it’s not that popular compared to regular and They are 50% of an SSD kvm node each, just the way it worked out.

• Thanks Anthony, great offer. I picked one up in The Netherlands. Works great as personal VPN node using Tunsafe.

Thanked by (1)InceptionHosting
  • iandkiandk Hosting ProviderOG

Any plans for a small annually 512mb kvm offer in london?

AMD EPYC / NVMe / 10GBPs KVM in Frankfurt - https://v6node.com
    Looking for an unbeatable AMD EPYC Baremetal Server in Frankfurt? Drop me a PM

@iandk said:
    Any plans for a small annually 512mb kvm offer in london?

What price/perks did you have in mind?

• DewlanceDewlance Hosting ProviderOG

Which VPS panel you provide?

Dewlance - Affordable Shared/Reseller/Master Reseller Hosting
    WHMCS Addon - DemoTiger Video KB - Tutorial Videos for Hosting Providers.

@Dewlance said:
    Which VPS panel you provide?

The one, the only, SOLUVM!!!!!!!!

Thanked by (2)Dewlance jeroen