Contabo just added Virtual Dedicated Servers to their lineup

Comments

• Direct link to the line-up for those who are interested:
    https://contabo.com/?show=vds

Thanked by (2)Ympker vimalware
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

At this point I am still trying to justify why I would get one of these over an i7 Dedi at Hetzner for 36€/mo.

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • Ah, virtual dedicated servers, takes me back to early 2000s.

We are going back, aren't we.

Thanked by (2)Ympker webcraft

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

@deank said:
    Ah, virtual dedicated servers, takes me back to early 2000s.

We are going back, aren't we.

It's all a loop mate.

Thanked by (1)webcraft
  • @Ympker said:
    At this point I am still trying to justify why I would get one of these over an i7 Dedi at Hetzner for 36€/mo.

Exactly. Pricing seems off to me.

Thanked by (2)Ympker webcraft
  • I just pity noobs who burned bridges with Hetzner.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• @aaronstuder said:

@Ympker said:

It seems to me that Contabo's new product line is akin to but significantly cheaper than Vultr's Dedicate Cloud Instances ( https://www.vultr.com/products/dedicated-cloud/#pricing ). These virtual dedicated servers are intended for people who really need to use a lot of CPU and RAM on a regular basis.

Naturally, one can always ask "Why not a dedi from Hetzner's server auction?", but you won't get NVMe or a recent CPU for a similar price at Hetzner's server auction, not to mention that these virtual dedicated servers are easier to set up and you don't have to worry about an older disk that may suddenly fail.

Thanked by (2)WSCallum Ympker

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• edited May 2020

@angstrom said:

@aaronstuder said:

@Ympker said:

It seems to me that Contabo's new product line is akin to but significantly cheaper than Vultr's Dedicate Cloud Instances ( https://www.vultr.com/products/dedicated-cloud/#pricing ). These virtual dedicated servers are intended for people who really need to use a lot of CPU and RAM on a regular basis.

Naturally, one can always ask "Why not a dedi from Hetzner's server auction?", but you won't get NVMe or a recent CPU for a similar price at Hetzner's server auction, not to mention that these virtual dedicated servers are easier to set up and you don't have to worry about an older disk that may suddenly fail.

This doesnt make any sense at all if you look at hetzner prices on the AX line and then "These virtual dedicated servers are intended for people who really need to use a lot of CPU and RAM on a regular basis."

The top end "virtual dedi" (wtf even?) is priced at 89 euros. Pay a little more and youll get AX161 if you need to use a lot of CPU and RAM.

Correct me if Im wrong (and I might be very wrong) but these are basically glorified VPS-s only difference being high ram count and dedicated cores? So basically its a wannabe of both VPS and Dedicated

I'm the 85%. Also Elon likes memes hence he's an idiot.

• @serv_ee said:

Correct me if Im wrong (and I might be very wrong) but these are basically glorified VPS-s only difference being high ram count and dedicated cores? So basically its a wannabe of both VPS and Dedicated

I think that's right.

• @serv_ee said:

@angstrom said:

@aaronstuder said:

@Ympker said:

This doesnt make any sense at all if you look at hetzner prices on the AX line and then "These virtual dedicated servers are intended for people who really need to use a lot of CPU and RAM on a regular basis."

The top end "virtual dedi" (wtf even?) is priced at 89 euros. Pay a little more and youll get AX161 if you need to use a lot of CPU and RAM.

I was looking at Hetzner's server auction because that was what had been mentioned.

But you're right that Hetzner's AX-line would make for a better comparison.

As far as Hetzner is concerned, perhaps the best comparison would be with their cloud servers with a dedicated vCPU, which also aren't so cheap: go to https://www.hetzner.com/cloud , then click on "Dedicated vCPU".

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• edited May 2020

Well, in that case I dont see any point of neither of those offerings. Sure, you can scale them when and as you wish but if you need that much horsepower why not take the AX line to begin with.

But as always, thats just my personal opinion. And however I look at it Hetzner kinda seems to eat away their own cloud offerings with their dedicated ones lol

I guess it all boils down to how someone needs to use those things.

• @serv_ee said:
    Well, in that case I dont see any point of neither of those offerings. Sure, you can scale them when and as you wish but if you need that much horsepower why not take the AX line to begin with.

But as always, thats just my personal opinion. And however I look at it Hetzner kinda seems to eat away their own cloud offerings with their dedicated ones lol

I guess it all boils down to how someone needs to use those things.

Hetzner cloud servers with dedicated vCPU at least have the advantage that they have hour-based billing, which can be useful for short-term uses.

• Just to add that Contabo themselves offer real dedicated servers at reasonable prices ( https://contabo.de/?show=server ), so they must feel that there's a market for "virtual dedicated servers", and I suspect that they're right.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

edited May 2020

@angstrom said:
    Just to add that Contabo themselves offer real dedicated servers at reasonable prices ( https://contabo.de/?show=server ), so they must feel that there's a market for "virtual dedicated servers", and I suspect that they're right.

Although I never really understood why someone would prefer a often higher priced VDS (generally speaking) over a dedi, I am sure they did their research. Like you mentioned, Hetzner offers it, too (although a bit different).

Thanked by (1)angstrom
  • @Ympker said:

Perhaps you don't wish to host in DE? (contabo offers Saint Louis) or perhaps you don't want to deal with aging hardware which comes with a dedicated server. Virtual Dedicated VPS seems like a good compromise if you want a dedicated solution without having to maintain or worry about eventually upgrading the hardware/dedicated server.

Thanked by (2)angstrom Ympker
  • InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

360GB dedicated SSD?

Suspicious hippo eyes.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

Anyone know more about this? https://oakleycapital.com/portfolio-company/contabo/
    I don't know, and this is pure speculation, but higher prices might be coming to other products if Oakley decides to squeeze every penny they can get.

• This sounds more like Hetzner's dedicated-cpu cloud instances.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    360GB dedicated SSD?

Suspicious hippo eyes.

?

@sureiam said:

@Ympker said:

Perhaps you don't wish to host in DE? (contabo offers Saint Louis) or perhaps you don't want to deal with aging hardware which comes with a dedicated server. Virtual Dedicated VPS seems like a good compromise if you want a dedicated solution without having to maintain or worry about eventually upgrading the hardware/dedicated server.

Thanks for pointing this out. Fair enough.

edited May 2020

I am not aware of any 360GB SSD drives and if they are virtual dedicated servers they should have dedicated drives at least no? otherwise they are just a big VPS.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

edited May 2020

@AnthonySmith said:

I am not aware of any 360GB SSD drives and if they are virtual dedicated servers they should have dedicated drives at least no? otherwise they are just a big VPS.

Isn't VDS just a big VPS with dedicated resources though (meaning no overselling of the resources)? Not entirely sure about this VDS myth though, so I may be wrong.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

Contabo is known to limit their I/O for vps.

Would be interesting to see if it's the same for VDS. Also why nested virt is "possible" instead of "enabled"

Thanked by (1)Ympker

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

edited May 2020

@Ympker said: Isn't VDS just a big VPS with dedicated resources though (meaning no overselling of the resources)? Not entirely sure about this VDS myth though, so I may be wrong.

It seems that a lot of hosts would have you believe that but no, not in my opinion anyway.

If the word dedicated is used, it needs to be dedicated, although it is generally accepted that the port is shared, that means from a node setup for example

E3-1270v6
    8 Threads
    4 x 240 GB SSD

cpu

• You need 1 of those threads to run the host node.
    • You have 8 individual threads available after that.
    • So let's say 0-7, 0 gets pinned to the host node, 1 - 7 are pinned to individual guests.
    • In this example because it is a small server you would be then left with an odd number so lets say 3 x 2 thread VDS and 1 x 1 thread VDS.

disk

• Unless the server has some separate slot on the board like an m.2 you use 1 of the SSD's for the node.
    • you then have 3 x 240GB SSD's to provision in the guest config as the block device i.e. the D in dedicated.

Obviously that scales better with intel silver/gold, E5's and thread ripper, but don't use the word dedicated if it is not dedicated, if you cannot boot your VDS into rescue and get the expected benchmark results within around a 5% loss rate for the overhead consistently for 100 tests in a row for both disk and CPU you are not getting the D (hehe)

The exception to that is when the D in VDS is clearly defined, like a VDS with a fully dedicated thread (1 thread really is the minimum to call something dedicated) and a disk IOPS and throughput limit say 50k and 300 MB/s but that needs to be guaranteed or it is just a VPS+BS marketing.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

I think they dedicate the disk space. And perhaps set a higher limit for IOP but that's all.

I'm more interested to know how the CPU physical cores fare. Most dedicated vcpu threads performance drop over time

@cybertech said: I think they dedicate the disk space. And perhaps set a higher limit for IOP but that's all.

So that is actually just a regular VPS then.

• These are just a VPS with dedicated CPU essentially, which is becoming quite common in the market now. I agree that ‘semi dedicated’ would be a better description as there are still aspects that are shared.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Clouveo - SSD/NVMe Cloud VPS & Hosting
    Performance & AMD EPYC Cloud | DDoS Protected | Snapshots | Auto Backups

@AnthonySmith said:

@cybertech said: I think they dedicate the disk space. And perhaps set a higher limit for IOP but that's all.

So that is actually just a regular VPS then.

I was under the impression that it's how VDS works but seems I'm wrong, anyway no point spending 37 EUR to test it out.

edited May 2020

@WSCallum said:
    These are just a VPS with dedicated CPU essentially, which is becoming quite common in the market now. I agree that ‘semi dedicated’ would be a better description as there are still aspects that are shared.

Yep, it is marketing to make you think you are getting more value than you actually are, although maybe the better naming convention these days should be VDS for a VPS with dedicated CPU and semi-edicated for a VPS with dedicated CPU and disk.

That would make more sense I suppose, in much the same way that all thumbs are fingers but not all fingers are thumbs, all VDS & semi-dedicated servers are VPS but not all VPS are VDS or semi-dedicated.

Thanked by (1)WSCallum

• edited May 2020

@AnthonySmith said:

There are a few 360GB ones. Not industrial grade but they exist. Kingspec comes to mind. (I have no idea how durable they are tho)