Single board colocation

I really wish we saw more of these. I imagine it's actually pretty labor intensive since they lack a KVM for recovery and have to be manually put in. But would love to see options for single board colocation and an external drive (like the raid 1 external enclosures using 2x 2.5" drives).

Would be down with paying an "install fee" even.

Comments

• @sureiam said: options for single board colocation and an external drive

I remember seeing this offered/discussed at least once on LET recently ...

aha found it :) from TNAHosting in Chicago, November 2019:

Raspberry Pi Colocation

• Colocation of 1 Raspberry Pi at our Chicago, IL location
    • Ability to include a 2.5" external hard drive at no extra charge
    • 10TB Bandwidth @ 1Gbps
    • 1 IPv4 Address
    • $6/month - Order Here

HS4LIFE (+ (* 3 4) (* 5 6))

• TNA Hosting still has it. Half the bandwidth and $10 per month.

Thanked by (1)uptime

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• @poisson said:
    TNA Hosting still has it. Half the bandwidth and $10 per month.

Neat! Any others people know about?

• MasonMason AdministratorOG
    edited June 2020

MarkLuun on LET put this together a little while back -

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ukFK9PZnYJ4ALEvtNAtTfdopmso5mIAK

Thanked by (1)uptime

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• @Mason said:
    MarkLuun on LET put this together a little while back -

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ukFK9PZnYJ4ALEvtNAtTfdopmso5mIAK

Thanks! I have a single board atom I kinda want to do it with but now running into whether it's cost effective vs a decent deal on a VPS. Feeling like a no. But it's a fun thought

• This gets discussed once in a while but it's really not worth it given the cheap conventional dedis out there. Scaleway used to have such a product (the C1, similar to a raspberry pi 2) that is now being EOL'd. I don't know if you can get them any more. The existing ones are being shut off in a few months. I have one I never got around to cancelling. If you want it and there is a way to transfer it to you, you are welcome to it. Scaleway charges for it are €3/m including 50GB of network SSD, so I figure any raspberry hosting better be at least that cheap to be attractive.

• Whenever I've run the numbers, even on the deals, it's always better to just rent a VPS. Can also get a well priced rental like https://rpiservers.com

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

🦍🍌

• @willie said:
    This gets discussed once in a while but it's really not worth it given the cheap conventional dedis out there. Scaleway used to have such a product (the C1, similar to a raspberry pi 2) that is now being EOL'd. I don't know if you can get them any more. The existing ones are being shut off in a few months. I have one I never got around to cancelling. If you want it and there is a way to transfer it to you, you are welcome to it. Scaleway charges for it are €3/m including 50GB of network SSD, so I figure any raspberry hosting better be at least that cheap to be attractive.

Just curious; did Scaleway offer you an alternative, besides switching to one of their virtual private server offerings?

• I don't think they have any alternatives to offer, other than VPS. Do you mean something like a discount? Not that I noticed and I doubt it.

• @Harambe said:
    Whenever I've run the numbers, even on the deals, it's always better to just rent a VPS. Can also get a well priced rental like https://rpiservers.com

That's actually a great option. The reality is they are weak but they are dedicated and imo a bit more secure than a VPS if you can encrypt the data.

With that said I would rather use a single board quad core atom.

• Thing is, with a bit of persistence (flash sale) you can get a small kimsufi or the equivalent, for what those rpi colo or rental places are charging. Even the scaleway c1 wasn't that attractive, but I kept it around because there was ARM code I wanted to fool with now and then.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

I struggle to see the point? The whole point of VPS is shared hardware to push down prices. So straight out the gate the numbers are against you. Then you've got the hassle of dealing with the physical device etc.

Don't get me wrong - I've got 4x raspberry pis...I just can't see them in a datacenter.