Google authenticator app /lost phone

InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

Has anyone found a way to make this portable yet?

I really need to stop using it, 1 phone crashed and it is impossible to get back into it without wiping it first, lost access to half a bitcoin (can probably recover that through security phrases set up in addition to 2fa) and now I went and lost my (flat) phone on a 6-acre field of long grass so am having to contact lots of payment gateways to start the reset process.

All of which could be avoided with an alternative to googles authenticator app that is portable between devices, anyone got any suggestions on alternatives?

https://inceptionhosting.com
Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

Comments

• Hmm not sure about this.

I use Symantec VIP where I have 3 devices added, both my iPhones and my laptop.

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• SagnikSSagnikS Hosting ProviderOG

Authy is much much better than GA, it used to be my primary 2FA app, before I moved everything to my self hosted BitWarden instance, as it makes entering and organising 2FA codes quite a bit easier. Authy is great, it has a desktop app too.

• AndOTP is pretty sweet.

Google Authenticator will be updated soon with the cross device functionality. Not exactly sure when the update is due however

Thanked by (1)MikeA
  • For iOS, OTP Auth works great for this. I’ve lost quite some accounts with Google Authenticator too.

• You can use an Yubikey and store your OTP on it

• 1Password works.

Thanked by (1)ouvoun
  • I use the LastPass Authenticator. It’s synced across multiple devices through my LastPass account.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

wow lots of suggestions thanks, will go through them when making a decision, new phone en route.

• @SagnikS said:
    Authy is much much better than GA, it used to be my primary 2FA app, before I moved everything to my self hosted BitWarden instance, as it makes entering and organising 2FA codes quite a bit easier. Authy is great, it has a desktop app too.

Authy is awesome. Use it for over year and a half

• @SagnikS said:

Yep, Authy.

Holding passwords in Bitwarden and using it for 2FA isn't as secure as it sounds.

• +1 for Authy. Super convenient and easy to use.

• Authy! I'm using it on all kind of device (iOS, Android, Windows, Mac) and sync perfectly

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

Switched to Authy from Google in the last month. Very noice. Comes up with logos/favicons too which makes it all that prettier.

Also, what about some dodgy remote access software to access your phone in a very limited number of scenarios with it being turned on?

Is such a thing even possible. I'll take my meds now.

• I stay away 2FA so that I don't have to carry a specific device. If some service must have 2FA, I use the Google Voice number, and setup an Asterisk server to automatically answer the call and press the button on the keypad.

Thanked by (1)kkrajk

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @FlamingSpaceJunk said:

@SagnikS said:

Yep, Authy.

Holding passwords in Bitwarden and using it for 2FA isn't as secure as it sounds.

Care to expand? Having a password manager and 2FA in the same device is not secure either.

• edited June 2020

Solved this with Authy.
    Free turnkey solution.
    Authy's encrypted backup password stored in my regular store :keepassxc

• YeeYee
    edited June 2020

I think andotp is the best choice. It is 100% open source and it can export backup with encryption.

Thanked by (2)vimalware Ouji
  • bdlbdl OG
    edited June 2020

1password.

I used to use Authy but didn't like how on android it would seem to cache the last OTP and show it prior to prompting for the pincode/password to access the app. Yes, it's only an OTP, but annoyed me that the developers never seemed to rectify it. Whether that's changed in later versions, I don't know...

Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • +1 for Authy

Of course its closed source. So depends on your trust level. AFAIK it's an offering of Twilio. I do not see it going anywhere in the near future.

Good luck!

Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • Not fond of Authy being closed source. I've used FreeOTP for a while but it's ancient. Many password managers nowadays have TOTP built-in; e.g., KeePassDX on Android.

Even with good old Google Authenticator, root the phone and use Titanium Backup to backup GA's database.

• @seanho yep.
    That's my go to.
    Keep a backupof Google authenticator with titanium is the easiest. And keep backups encrypted.

• Aegis is open source and has a straightforward backup option.

https://github.com/beemdevelopment/Aegis

• I use 1password for all my 2FA, along with my 4 digits amount of logins.. works really well :)

• edited June 2020

@jaden said:
    Aegis is open source and has a straightforward backup option.

Seems nice. Will check it out.

• Well aegis seems to be able to import Google authenticator, authy and other vaults, very easily.
    Can export and keep a backup.
    Can put fingerprint authenticator on top.
    Oper source.
    So it looks like aegis is the best.
    Not sure whether the code is audited..
    @AnthonySmith
    Thanks @jaden . Didn't know about this.

Thanked by (1)jaden
  • InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@seanho said:
    Not fond of Authy being closed source. I've used FreeOTP for a while but it's ancient. Many password managers nowadays have TOTP built-in; e.g., KeePassDX on Android.

Even with good old Google Authenticator, root the phone and use Titanium Backup to backup GA's database.

Oh ffs, phone is ‘was’ rooted, could have done that. I know now at least :)

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@AnthonySmith said:
    Has anyone found a way to make this portable yet?

I really need to stop using it, 1 phone crashed and it is impossible to get back into it without wiping it first, lost access to half a bitcoin (can probably recover that through security phrases set up in addition to 2fa) and now I went and lost my (flat) phone on a 6-acre field of long grass so am having to contact lots of payment gateways to start the reset process.

All of which could be avoided with an alternative to googles authenticator app that is portable between devices, anyone got any suggestions on alternatives?

Authy:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/12428/2fa-explained/#5

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• edited June 2020

@jaden said:
    Aegis is open source and has a straightforward backup option.

+1 for Aegis, it's simple and does the job well.

Rather than fret about losing one device, I restore the Aegis backup onto a couple of home based devices (i.e. tablets) so I have an immediate alternative if I can't be bothered locating the phone when I need a 2FA login. That assumes you're disciplined to only enter new codes to one device and backup [off device] immediately.

Edit: grammar

• NDTNNDTN Hosting Provider

I'm using Authy and sync between iPhone, MAC and Windows. Switched from Google Authenticator a few years ago and never looked back.

• ndelaespadandelaespada Hosting ProviderOG

+1 for Authy, have been using it for a few years after dropping Google Authenticator and have switched phones a few times, no issue at all.

Owned-Networks | VPS and Web Hosting for every project size and budget
    DAL - LEN - LA - SEA - NYC - MIA - AMS - LON