What plugins do you use for WP cache & optimization?

Hello everyone,

I bought a webhosting package from NetCup few days ago. I found they use Apache as server and Nginx as proxy.

I only have experience on Litespeed or OpenLiteSpeed, LSCache is just perfect on Litespeed server. But on Apache server I have no idea.

There are so many cache & optimization plugins to choose. What plugins do you choose for WordPress optimization?

Thanks!

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek3333

Comments

• Best optimization plugin is not to use Wordpress and Apache in the first place, but static generated content and nginx.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

I'm more of a LAMP (yeah, web 1.0) guy because I can't debug 200 nginx configs concatted together quite as easily as Debian's Apache layout. I still prefer to avoid WordPress.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• @WSS said: I'm more of a LAMP (yeah, web 1.0) guy because I can't debug 200 nginx configs concatted together quite as easily as Debian's Apache layout. I still prefer to avoid WordPress.

Thanks. What platform do you recommend for simple blog?

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

WordPress: Perhaps any caching system would be better than none

W3 Total Cache has worked for me in the past, same with WP fastest cache

And don't forget a CDN like CloudFlare for edge static asset caching

Thanked by (2)Yee bikegremlin
  • WP Autoptimize and and that full page cache plugin that I cant remember the name for... worked well for me.

Thanked by (1)Yee

Stay safe and healthy. Donate to the WFP.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@Yee said:

@WSS said: I'm more of a LAMP (yeah, web 1.0) guy because I can't debug 200 nginx configs concatted together quite as easily as Debian's Apache layout. I still prefer to avoid WordPress.

For dynamic content, I like TextPattern. For something simple, I'd suggest https://www.htmly.com/ or https://ghost.org/

Thanked by (1)Yee

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• Thanks everyone here for your generous help! :3

• Try Small Themes of WP's file than for plugin
    Pretty standard using
    WP fastest cache
    wp optimize
    Autoptimize

prettymuch-cool.jpg

Thanked by (1)Yee
  • @d2itsme said: Try Small Themes of WP's file than for plugin

I am now using Penscratch 2 by Automattic, really simple and clean theme for Blogging.
    https://wordpress.com/theme/penscratch-2

• @Yee said:

@d2itsme said: Try Small Themes of WP's file than for plugin

I am now using Penscratch 2 by Automattic, really simple and clean theme for Blogging.
    https://wordpress.com/theme/penscratch-2

It's pretty light triple 2 Kb file, almost same with mine.

• _MS__MS_ OG
    edited April 2020

Theme: GeneratePress or Astra or Neve.
    Caching: W3 Total Cache (best option for a VPS) or WP Fastest Cache (for Shared)
    Code Optimization: Autoptimize or FVM or Cloudflare (Free)
    Database Optimizatiom: WP-Optimize (not needed on a brand new WordPress site)
    CDN: Cloudflare (Free) or Statically (Free, New) or BunnyCDN (paid)
    DNS, SSL, & WAF: Cloudflare (Free)

Thanked by (2)Yee bikegremlin
  • mobilemobile Retired

https://www.pluginvulnerabilities.com/blog/

people are calling them as the bad guys, but it's a good insight if you want to see the literal shitshow that take place in wordpress community

Thanked by (1)Yee
  • I only use Redis Object Cache plugin for my site. It's working fine!

Thanked by (1)Yee
  • MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

WP Supercache is terrific.

Thanked by (2)Yee Ympker
  • AK_KWHAK_KWH Hosting ProviderOG

Wp fastest cache + Cloudflare will do a great job for us :) check all options which are available in wp fastest cache free version settings
    Add site in cloudflare
    Enable optimisation for html,css,js one by one after that check the website properly if its working fine simply on the rocket loader and boommm check the website speed it will be 2x more then before
    However for better understanding the speed concept use gtmatrix waterflow test it will tells u the proper game which u need to play

Asad Khan

Thanked by (1)Yee

KhanWebHost Cheap Shared Hosting | Cheap KVM VPS (DE,UK,US,FR) | KVM Sale - LES Offers

• Check out Swift Lite too!

Thanked by (1)Yee
  • personally I dont use plugin but fastcgi and redis cache

Thanked by (1)Yee
  • Get rid of any plugins you don't need, and optimise the theme is the best way. If after all that you need caching, use varnish/nginx if possible.

More plugins = more to do. Wordpress isn't that's slow if set up correctly - but too many people use a separate plugin for every little bit of functionality on the site.

Thanked by (1)Yee
  • @WSS said:

For dynamic content, I like TextPattern. For something simple, I'd suggest https://www.htmly.com/ or https://ghost.org/

Great news. htmly project looks to have seen some activvity after a 4 year break. They released a new version earlier this month.
    https://github.com/danpros/htmly

• @MikePT said:
    WP Supercache is terrific.

I agree. It is pretty nice and doesn't require a lot of tweaking.

Thanked by (1)MikePT
  • Intelpentium0Intelpentium0 Hosting Provider

I use the one with cheetah (wp fastest cache) after trying almost every other cache plugins.
    ◆My first comment in LES◆

Thanked by (1)flips

✓✓Only shared hosting-both DA and cPanel Still in 2006

• vyasvyas OG
    edited June 2020

@Intelpentium0 said:
    I use the one with cheetah (wp fastest cache) after trying almost every other cache plugins.
    ◆My first comment in LES◆

Congratulations in your first post

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Mostly what others have already written.
    WP Fastest Cache is good.
    W3TC is a pain to configure to work as good as possible, but when/if you do, it might be even better (if not configured properly, it might be slower).
    My 2c on WP caching plugins.

And I used WP-Optimize, worked fine, though many recommend Autooptimize (haven't tried it).

Cloudflare doesn't hurt, especially if configured properly.

Having said all that, LiteSpeed is by far the fastest and easiest to use/configure. By so much that I would rather pay a bit more for a hosting that does offer a LiteSpeed server.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• all it depends on the nature of your WP site. For news and blog style with less programming logic, use WP Super Cache and enable page pre-load. This will create static html base on schedule.

W3TC has too many options to config, can easily messed up with css and JS. For site with many plugin and code logic, I prefer standard fastcgi cache + Autoptimize. I prefer to use Autoptimize for JS and CSS optimization, much simpler than W3TC.

I also use Optimus, free image optimization plugin to reduce image size.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
    edited June 2020

@mca5701 said:
    all it depends on the nature of your WP site. For news and blog style with less programming logic, use WP Super Cache and enable page pre-load. This will create static html base on schedule.

W3TC has too many options to config, can easily messed up with css and JS. For site with many plugin and code logic, I prefer standard fastcgi cache + Autoptimize. I prefer to use Autoptimize for JS and CSS optimization, much simpler than W3TC.

I prefer doing the image optimization manually. Why?

• It doesn't require one more WordPress plugin. The fewer plugins, the better, generally speaking - so I use only those that are really needed, that really help. Either by saving hours of coding, or too much work/hassle when creating content.
    • It gives me more control. For example: things like computer interface screenshots give both smaller files and clearer images if saved as PNG, with the smallest number of colours that works for the intended picture (ranging from 2-5 to about 100). While photos usually work best as JPG. Most (all) plugins can't first check what gives the smallest/best quality output, then do the work.

My 2c on image compression, and optimization.

Thanked by (1)mca5701

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:

@mca5701 said:
    all it depends on the nature of your WP site. For news and blog style with less programming logic, use WP Super Cache and enable page pre-load. This will create static html base on schedule.

I prefer doing the image optimization manually. Why?

• It doesn't require one more WordPress plugin. The fewer plugins, the better, generally speaking - so I use only those that are really needed, that really help. Either by saving hours of coding, or too much work/hassle when creating content.
    • It gives me more control. For example: things like computer interface screenshots give both smaller files and clearer images if saved as PNG, with the smallest number of colours that works for the intended picture (ranging from 2-5 to about 100). While photos usually work best as JPG. Most (all) plugins can't first check what gives the smallest/best quality output, then do the work.

My 2c on image compression, and optimization.

Thanks for pointing out. Yes, as long as the resource (personnel) is available, doing image opt manually is better.