Windows 10 Pro license at $39.99 until end of June 2020

poissonpoisson OG
edited June 2020 in General

PCWorld is offering a good deal on a Windows 10 Pro license if you need one. This is a full retail Windows 10 Pro license going at $39.99 until end of the month. Link here: https://software.pcworld.com/p36877-windows_10_professional

Note that the default currency seems to GBP. Change it to USD at the top right. Hope this deal can benefit some people.

[EDIT] Maybe this is a good public service announcement to put on LESBlog as well, @AnthonySmith?

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

Thanked by (2)seriesn vimalware

Comments

• Heretic. No one here supposedly uses Windows, supposedly.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• @deank said:
    Heretic. No one here supposedly uses Windows, supposedly.

I keep it muzzled in a VM.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

I've never bought a license afair, always used hardware included ones. But I can imagine some people need to spend the bux so this seems like a neat saving.

• edited June 2020

I guess you do need a retail license if you intend to run windows inside a GPU-virtualized Ryzen box like I plan to (when I can afford all the stupid expensive Nvidia gear)

Is this an international license? Not too familar with their legalese.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Anybody know if that license can be transferred from one computer to another?
    And is there a limit to the number of transfers?

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• Pcworld marks it as 'unlimited' and there's no mention of OEM version anywhere, so it is supposed to be the non-OEM, retail license which is transferable. But at this price it seems to good to be true.

Thanked by (3)bikegremlin vimalware Ouji

@lgsin said:
    But at this price it seems to good to be true.

That's why I asked.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• Wait, you guys don't play games? :o

Action and Reaction in history

• RahulRahul OG
    edited June 2020

@bikegremlin said:

@lgsin said:
    Pcworld marks it as 'unlimited' and there's no mention of OEM version anywhere, so it is supposed to be the non-OEM, retail license which is transferable. But at this price it seems to good to be true.

"Along with the standard computer warranty agreement which said that if the machine 1) didn't work, 2) didn't do what the expensive advertisements said, 3) electrocuted the immediate neighborhood, 4) and in fact failed entirely to be inside the expensive box when you opened it, this was expressly, absolutely, implicitly and in no event the fault or responsibility of the manufacturer, that the purchaser should consider himself lucky to be allowed to give his money to the manufacturer, and that any attempt to treat what had just been paid for as the purchaser's own property would result in the attentions of serious men with menacing briefcases and very thin watches. Crowley had been extremely impressed with the warranties offered by the computer industry, and had in fact sent a bundle Below to the department that drew up the Immortal Soul agreements, with a yellow memo form attached just saying: "Learn, guys..."

Terry Pratchet, Good Omens - cool book by the way. :)

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

Realised this isn't Curry's PCWorld as I thought.

• @SmallWeb said:

Seems to be a common misunderstanding among people from the UK, I guess?

PcWorld was originally a computer magazine, first issue was released in 1983. Sinds 2013 it’s just a website. Owned by IDG (Computerworld, among other publications) so this is safe. Just a good deal with Microsoft.

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee
  • @debaser said:

@SmallWeb said:

PcWorld was originally a computer magazine, first issue was released in 1983. Sinds 2013 it’s just a website. Owned by IDG (Computerworld, among other publications) so this is safe. Just a good deal with Microsoft.

Not sure why people in the other forum are all up in arms. This is a legitimate website as far as I can tell.

Thanked by (2)hey vimalware

• edited June 2020

@poisson said:

@debaser said:

@SmallWeb said:

Not sure why people in the other forum are all up in arms. This is a legitimate website as far as I can tell.

Well, since the other forum is LET, it's to be expected. ("Why pay $40 when you can pay $4 on eBay?")

Anyway, PC World is legitimate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_World

By the way, the Home edition is on sale for 29.99€ ( https://software.pcworld.com/p36881-windows_10_home )

(In the EU, the prices appear in euros.)

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• I religiously bought PCWorld mag for years, back in the day. :|

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• @bikegremlin said:

@lgsin said:

That's why I asked.

@lgsin said:
    Pcworld marks it as 'unlimited' and there's no mention of OEM version anywhere, so it is supposed to be the non-OEM, retail license which is transferable. But at this price it seems to good to be true.

hi
    so i'm also interested in buying the license , did anyone of you guys did verify that it's really unlimited , as to use it forever reinstalling on as many machines trough time as popcorns are in a box.

• @donovk said:

@bikegremlin said:

@lgsin said:

That's why I asked.

@lgsin said:

hi
    so i'm also interested in buying the license , did anyone of you guys did verify that it's really unlimited , as to use it forever reinstalling on as many machines trough time as popcorns are in a box.

One machine per license. You can install as many times, as long as it is one license on one machine for each unique license.

Thanked by (2)vimalware bikegremlin

• @poisson said:

@donovk said:

@bikegremlin said:

@lgsin said:

That's why I asked.

@lgsin said:

hi

One machine per license. You can install as many times, as long as it is one license on one machine for each unique license.

thanks really, thats what i was looking for .

• @bikegremlin said:

Yes there is a limit on how many transfers you can make on the license.
    If you get blocked you can call Microsoft customer service and get it unlocked for a new transfer, but that will work only one or 2 times after your first block.
    Some time ago Linus from Linus Tech tips mention the issue, you can see the episode here:

Thanked by (1)angstrom
  • Is it work inside VirtualBox? Or they have different license?

Action and Reaction in history

• @poisson said:
    PCWorld is offering a good deal on a Windows 10 Pro license if you need one. This is a full retail Windows 10 Pro license going at $39.99 until end of the month. Link here: https://software.pcworld.com/p36877-windows_10_professional

I just get a blank store page ... maybe that store is geo locked ...