What email client do you use?

Hope you're all well at this unusual time!

I'm trying to de-Google my life a bit - especially now my GSuite cost is going up. Part of that is moving my email away from there - and I'm trying to find a nice email client for my phone and my (arch linux) desktop.

On desktop, I don't particularly like the look of Thunderbird, but it seems to work well. I've been experimenting with mutt, which I really like - but no mobile alternative.

On iOS, I liked Canary Mail - it's not cheap, but it's super powerful and has support for aliases and more. However, their privacy policy says (regarding email login details) that "All of this information is stored on your device and is never transferred to our servers." When I logged all my mobile traffic using Charles Proxy, I saw that it's phoning home to them (dev.canarymail.io:9001/post/unsubscribe) with a device identifier and my email addresses, even though I've (a) disabled analytics and (b) disabled push notifications. So I no longer feel I can trust them entirely, and ended up moving to Outlook, which is actually a very well put together app - much better than I expected.

I'm intrigued to know what other people are using for email - do you have an email setup that works well for you?

Comments

• Mutt.

Thanked by (2)YellowHummingbird flips

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• Thunderbird

Thanked by (1)YellowHummingbird

I'm the 85%. Also Elon likes memes hence he's an idiot.

• Synology MailPlus

• @serv_ee said:
    Thunderbird

This

• The two main email clients that I use (depending on the server) are:

• nmh (New Message Handler) with Emacs interface
    • Read Mail on Usermin

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• HiroseHirose OG
    edited June 2020

Postbox works great for my needs. Has both Windows and macOS clients: https://www.postbox-inc.com/

Edit: Oh. missed that you wanted a Linux client. Sorry.

Thanked by (2)flips YellowHummingbird
  • InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

OWA.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

Outlook,,, or OWA. Depending on which computer I'm using.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• Zoho mail and Geary

• flipsflips OG
    edited June 2020

MailPlane for macOS (and mutt) :)

• On iOS I’m using default mail app for personal email and outlook for work. And on PC I’m using Windows 10 mail app (personal) and outlook (work). Outlook does the job really well right now, can’t complain.

@mikho said:

My OWA was down 2 days ago, I had to revert to using outlook, felt like I had stepped back in time by 15 years!

• Self hosted OWA?

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

I use nmh cuz I like the unix philosophy of stitching together tiny, single function commands with pipes. But, when I again renew my setup, in maybe a year or two, I expect to move to mmh.

Any unix philosophy freak deciding on a mail user agent these days might want to look at The Modern Mail Handler, Markus Schnalke's Masters Thesis.

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• Eudora :lol:

⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆ Thanked by (1281): verjin

• EVOLUTION

• edited June 2020

@Not_Oles said:
    I use nmh cuz I like the unix philosophy of stitching together tiny, single function commands with pipes.

I also use nmh on a couple of servers (see above), but I prefer to use the Emacs interface =)

But, when I again renew my setup, in maybe a year or two, I expect to move to mmh.

Any unix philosophy freak deciding on a mail user agent these days might want to look at The Modern Mail Handler, Markus Schnalke's Masters Thesis.

I've never used mmh, but it strikes me as a one-man show, whereas nmh at least has a few core developers!

I'm a bit tempted to try out the mh clone included in GNU Mailutils ( https://mailutils.org/ ), which apparently is IMAP-aware, unlike nmh.

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

MXroute for domain emails, connected to Gmail client.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

@Unixfy said:

Self hosted OWA?

Used to do that, now for the sake of £25 a year I just have ovh hosted exchange.

Thanked by (1)Unixfy

• I used to use pine directly on the mail server years ago but I use Thunderbird pretty much on all PCs now.

• I'm happy with Thunderbird, does what I need. On Android I'm using K9 Mail, but I'm having some issues with consistently getting mail from my mobile device, seems to be some issue with K9 getting its sync stuck. But if I go in and force-refresh it, it works better for a while.

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• I use Fastmail and have been using their web interface on desktop and supplied app on iOS/Android/iPadOS

• @bdl said:
    I use Fastmail and have been using their web interface on desktop and supplied app on iOS/Android/iPadOS

Same here. I really like their UI, clean and simple.

Thanked by (1)bdl
  • mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@AnthonySmith said:

@mikho said:

My OWA was down 2 days ago, I had to revert to using outlook, felt like I had stepped back in time by 15 years!

Paying for Microsoft 365 licenses, putting it in good use. ;)
    It has changed alot over the years.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• I am paying for G Suite and Amazon WorkMail, works great. I used to use MS 365 but OneDrive/SharePoint pushed me away :P

• Nine on my Android phone, and either Sylpheed (Linux) or Thunderbird (Linux or Windows) for desktop.

• edited June 2020

Postbox on Windows, OWA at work, Native IOS on the phone, mutt on my vps boxes. Have O365 personal but not been a fan of outlook.

• Gmal for iOS

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@angstrom said:

@Not_Oles said:
    I use nmh cuz I like the unix philosophy of stitching together tiny, single function commands with pipes.

I also use nmh on a couple of servers (see above), but I prefer to use the Emacs interface =)

But, when I again renew my setup, in maybe a year or two, I expect to move to mmh.

I've never used mmh, but it strikes me as a one-man show, whereas nmh at least has a few core developers!

I'm a bit tempted to try out the mh clone included in GNU Mailutils ( https://mailutils.org/ ), which apparently is IMAP-aware, unlike nmh.

<3

Thanked by (1)angstrom

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!