Hetzner Online news bytes

Comments

• I had a similar issue (had an upcoming card expiration, and from previous experience I foresaw likely screwups with card payments after the renewal) a couple years ago. I opened a ticket with Hetzner's billing dept and they told me I could prepay an amount of my choosing. I paid a little bit above what I expected my next invoice to be, so when the invoice came and was processed, it left me with a small credit balance, which was applied towards the next invoice after that. It all worked out fine.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@willie said:
    I had a similar issue (had an upcoming card expiration, and from previous experience I foresaw likely screwups with card payments after the renewal) a couple years ago. I opened a ticket with Hetzner's billing dept and they told me I could prepay an amount of my choosing. I paid a little bit above what I expected my next invoice to be, so when the invoice came and was processed, it left me with a small credit balance, which was applied towards the next invoice after that. It all worked out fine.

Sounds perfect. Is that a regular procedure (when overpaying), or billing has to be notified before doing that?

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Hosting ProviderOG

@bikegremlin said: Tried to explain how yearly doesn't prevent payment problems - unless it can be paid at least a month in advance. It does make them less probable

Yes, that's what I meant. ;)

@bikegremlin said: paying in advance to some account funds is what works better

Our interfaces are very automated, so they generate invoices on very specific dates. I think part of the problem is that it is difficult to pay for something when there is no invoice. And with our system, we are not setup to generate invoices in advance. I think that is where things get a bit complicated.

As I wrote before, I am not sure that it is possible for all customers with all product types. So it's best to write to our accounting department in advance before you do this, and let them know what you're trying to do. --Katie

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

We're Katie and Lea and we'll do our best to answer questions you have about Hetzner Online. We and not our employer are responsible for any horrible puns and dated cultural references.

I know some people like to check out how-tos during their breaks. So what's for lunch today? How about a tutorial with ingredients like Let's Encrypt certificates, API tokens, and Hetzner's DNS Console.

Guten Appetit! --Katie

Thanked by (2)FlamingSpaceJunk beagle

We're Katie and Lea and we'll do our best to answer questions you have about Hetzner Online. We and not our employer are responsible for any horrible puns and dated cultural references.

• Katie, in my personal opinión it would be great option To charge/ top up with the desired money your account or even better make an automátic transaction from the bank account. Call it wallet or whatever. I guess people like @bikegremlin ( because of the banks ) or people like me (set and forget) would find it more comfortable option . i have made something similar from 1month ago and people find it a better option To charge them the "dental insurance"directly through the bank or making a wallet. I have not selected the wallet option because of the risk To have a wallet but for you could work in both scenarios. Just my 2 cents

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Hetzner_OL

Dentistry is my passion

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Chievo said:
    Katie, in my personal opinión it would be great option To charge/ top up with the desired money your account or even better make an automátic transaction from the bank account. Call it wallet or whatever. I guess people like @bikegremlin ( because of the banks ) or people like me (set and forget) would find it more comfortable option . i have made something similar from 1month ago and people find it a better option To charge them the "dental insurance"directly through the bank or making a wallet. I have not selected the wallet option because of the risk To have a wallet but for you could work in both scenarios. Just my 2 cents

Not sure if there are any legal, or tax complications if a provider offers such account funds. But for me at least - those are a great thing. Why?

Provided I can pay funds in advance. Then:

a)
    Worst case scenario - my account gets terminated without me doing anything wrong (not a very likely scenario, but let's imagine that is so). The result is I don't owe anyone any money, nor have I created a problem with my payment being late. Sure - I loose the pre-paid funds, but that's it - all the damage is on me, I can sleep well.

b) I decide to cancel the service prematurely - the prepaid funds are lost, but I sleep nice, knowing I'm not owing anyone any money and can do business in the future when the need arises.

c)
    Expected scenario - my banks messes up, but the pre-paid funds are used when my charges are due. Again - I sleep well, knowing no one is having problems because of my late payments.

Either way - I much prefer this to people having to be patient and wait for my late payment.

Thanked by (1)Chievo

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:

@Chievo said:
    Katie, in my personal opinión it would be great option To charge/ top up with the desired money your account or even better make an automátic transaction from the bank account. Call it wallet or whatever. I guess people like @bikegremlin ( because of the banks ) or people like me (set and forget) would find it more comfortable option . i have made something similar from 1month ago and people find it a better option To charge them the "dental insurance"directly through the bank or making a wallet. I have not selected the wallet option because of the risk To have a wallet but for you could work in both scenarios. Just my 2 cents

Not sure if there are any legal, or tax complications if a provider offers such account funds. But for me at least - those are a great thing. Why?

Provided I can pay funds in advance. Then:

a)
    Worst case scenario - my account gets terminated without me doing anything wrong (not a very likely scenario, but let's imagine that is so). The result is I don't owe anyone any money, nor have I created a problem with my payment being late. Sure - I loose the pre-paid funds, but that's it - all the damage is on me, I can sleep well.

b) I decide to cancel the service prematurely - the prepaid funds are lost, but I sleep nice, knowing I'm not owing anyone any money and can do business in the future when the need arises.

c)
    Expected scenario - my banks messes up, but the pre-paid funds are used when my charges are due. Again - I sleep well, knowing no one is having problems because of my late payments.

Either way - I much prefer this to people having to be patient and wait for my late payment.

Amazon has the option of the wallet . In fact if you top up 80 euros you obtain 5 free euros .....something is better than nothing . Both parts are happy and obviously is great for both parts .

d) they have earned 50 euros instead of 4 euros monthly

Dentistry is my passion

@bikegremlin and @Chievo - Thanks for the feedback. I'll pass those wishes on, but I am not sure if our team will be able to implement something like this as part of our regular system. I'll post any updates if/when I get them.

There are too many more days that look more perfect than this one.

Hope you all are able to enjoy the summer weather, too. --Katie

If you were going to film a TV show or movie in our DC, what genre would it be?

I found myself thinking this goofy question yesterday after I watched a "bottle" episode on the TV show "Community". I thought it would be kind of funny to have a bro-mance or wo-mance bottle episode that takes place in our cold-aisle containment racks. --Katie

• @Hetzner_OL said:

A Kafka inspired hard sci-fi. 2001: A Space Odyssy mixed with The Lobster and the real life of DC techs. Maybe some Terry Gillam Brazil flourishes. :smile: That might be too bleak though.

This is pic is awesome. Very kubrick-esque. =)

I found myself thinking this goofy question yesterday after I watched a "bottle" episode on the TV show "Community". I thought it would be kind of funny to have a bro-mance or wo-mance bottle episode that takes place in our cold-aisle containment racks. --Katie

That could totally happen. Two DC techs stuck on a outage call because "they might be needed to power cycle the server", DC tech and hardware vendor are waiting for a change window to open, the DC skeleton crew in a holiday change freeze, or they're part of the cold site DR exercise where everyone forgets about them.

What We Do in the Cold Aisle a Taika Waititi style mockumentary. =)

Thanked by (3)vimalware Hetzner_OL _MS_
  • Something along the lines of this comic would be good

Hey teamacc. You're a dick. (c) Jon Biloh, 2020.

edited June 2020

Love that feeling you get when you realize that you've just made a huge improvement to your infrastructure in just a few quick minutes? If so, then you'll want to check out Hetzner Cloud's new Load Balancers. And right now, they're free to test in the beta-test: hetzner.com/cloud/load-balancer

Thanked by (2)AC_Fan Bochi

• @Hetzner_OL said:
    Love that feeling you get when you realize that you've just made a huge improvement to your infrastructure in just a few quick minutes? If so, then you'll want to check out Hetzner Cloud's new Load Balancers. And right now, they're free to test in the beta-test: hetzner.com/cloud/load-balancer

I think your link isn't working properly on either forum, might want to check it out. Other than that, great news!

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG
    edited June 2020

Link fixed.

incorrect markup

[hetzner.com/cloud/load-balancer](hetzner.com/cloud/load-balancer "hetzner.com/cloud/load-balancer")

correct markup

[hetzner.com/cloud/load-balancer](https://hetzner.com/cloud/load-balancer)

Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

Just another inside peek inside one of our DCs... --Katie

Thanked by (1)MaxKVM

• Funny, I just watched that bottle episode of Community last night. Katie/Helena, it's really neat seeing pictures of your datacenters. Keep 'em coming!

Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL

Abby @ bloom.host | Gaming-Grade Virtual Dedicated and Virtual Private Servers | DDoS protection | Ryzen 3950X Dedicated CPU $2.75/GB

• Has anyone tried a distribution upgrade (specifically Debian) on server auction machines, especially the i7-2600 board? I'll have to upgrade one all the way from Debian 8 to 10, and wanted to check if there are any known problems/recommendations.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

@Hetzner_OL said:
    I know some people like to check out how-tos during their breaks. So what's for lunch today? How about a tutorial with ingredients like Let's Encrypt certificates, API tokens, and Hetzner's DNS Console.
    Guten Appetit! --Katie

Didn't know Lets Enc does wildcard certs. That's cool.

Might want to ask author to throw in a note that certificates expire after a while & that doesn't look like it implements auto-renew

Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL

@havoc said: Might want to ask author to throw in a note that certificates expire after a while & that doesn't look like it implements auto-renew

I think it's possible to contact the tutorial writers via GitLab. On each tutorial in our Community, there is usually a link to the author's page on GitLab. Here's the page for this author. https://github.com/dschoeffm I'm sure he'd like to get feedback from you! :) He can then ask our Community Manager to update the tutorial.

Speaking of tutorials, we have a new one up on on our Community page:

@BloomVPS said:
    Funny, I just watched that bottle episode of Community last night. Katie/Helena, it's really neat seeing pictures of your datacenters. Keep 'em coming!

That's funny! I might have to hold back on "Community" for awhile. I think I'm developing a crush on Abed because of all of his cultural references. ;) Glad that you like the photos so much! --Katie

• Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you to both @Katie and to Herr Arno Pirner, Head of Sales at Hetzner!!

Possibly partly due to my being a New York City resident presently visiting in Mexico (and thus coming from a Mexican IP) I experienced several insignificant, but nevertheless tricky issues which seemed to block my initial attempts to contact Hetzner about signing up for a Hetzner account. After several frustrating failures, I sent @Katie a PM. My PM must not have been clear, because @Katie initially didn't seem to understand my problem. But @Katie cheerfully kept messaging me until there came a point where I asked to give up and forget the whole thing.

Rather than let me give up, @Katie stuck with me even longer, and, well, she kind of insisted -- politely -- that I not give up and, instead of giving up, that I email with Herr Pirner. Herr Pirner answered my email, asked me to try to set up an account, and to let him know when the setup was done. Herr Pirner then seemed to have waved his magic wand in the background and the account happened! Last, but not least, Herr Pirner kindly answered a few more questions I had.

These folks at Hetzner!!! No matter how bad things might seem, they just won't give up until everything is perfect! They have an awesomely high standard of customer service!

Thanked by (3)Hetzner_OL MikePT Ympker
  • Oops! Seems like there is no @Katie. :) I should have said @Hetzner_OL, which is both Katie and Helena. Sorry! Thanks again to @Hetzner_OL, Katie, Helena, and Herr Pirner. You folks are great!

Thanked by (2)Hetzner_OL Ympker
  • @tom said: These folks at Hetzner!!! No matter how bad things might seem, they just won't give up until everything is perfect! They have an awesomely high standard of customer service!

And to imagine that I thought that you were an OVH fanboy ;)

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

Thanks for the shout out, @tom! Your messages were so polite, I just really hoped it would work out. :)

You brightened my day just now, so I'll try to put everyone else in a sunny mood, too.

One of our colleagues in Helsinki took this shot of the pretty wildflower field in front of the data center park. When I see images like this, I always think it's a bit funny that the abbreviation for this location is "HEL".

It's not just the flowers growing there. There's now over 150,000 square meters of DC space at this park. --Katie

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• williewillie OG
    edited July 2020

When I see images like this, I always think it's a bit funny that the abbreviation for this location is "HEL".

They named the new data center after Helena! That's really nice to recognize her like that! Very cool.

Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL

Unfortunately the "HEL" stands for Helsinki not Helena...
    But just to be honest, it would be much cooler if it was named after Helena.
    I mean, Helena means the beautiful one and our data center is really beautiful in this flower meadow. =)

• @Hetzner_OL said: Unfortunately the "HEL" stands for Helsinki not Helena...

Well sure, they tell people that, but they actually picked the location Helsinki in Helena's honor. The next one will be in Kathmandu, Nepal so they can call it KAT, after Katie ;).

Thanked by (2)Hetzner_OL Ympker
  • @Hetzner_OL said:

Nice shots. These look like those stock photos that you see on multiple sites. I won't be surprised if somebody copies these (through search engines or even directly) and used in their web design templates.

Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL
  • _MS__MS_ OG
    edited July 2020

@Hetzner_OL said:
    There are too many more days that look more perfect than this one.

Hope you all are able to enjoy the summer weather, too. --Katie

@Hetzner_OL said:
    Thanks for the shout out, @tom! Your messages were so polite, I just really hoped it would work out. :)

You brightened my day just now, so I'll try to put everyone else in a sunny mood, too.

One of our colleagues in Helsinki took this shot of the pretty wildflower field in front of the data center park. When I see images like this, I always think it's a bit funny that the abbreviation for this location is "HEL".

It's not just the flowers growing there. There's now over 150,000 square meters of DC space at this park. --Katie

As beautiful outside as it is inside :)

Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL
    edited July 2020

Hi guys, we have some great tutorials from our community site for you.

Ever wanted to know how to install a Windows operating system on dedicated hardware without using a KVM console? With this tutorial, you will learn how to do it in only 6 steps.
    The only requirements are a Dedicated Root Server in the Rescue System and more than 8 GB RAM in the server. Then you are ready to go.

https://community.hetzner.com/tutorials/install-windows

The second tutorial is about understanding and using the functions of iptables.
    In addition, practical examples are used to illustrate different ways of using iptables in an optimal way.

https://community.hetzner.com/tutorials/iptables

Thanked by (1)willie

It's Thursday, which means it's time for another tutorial. This one is a quick one about installing ufw as a fireware manager for your server and using it to block communications to private networks.

Does anyone already use ufw or another firewall manager? If you do and you have other good tips for how to use it, you could write a tutorial yourself and get €50 in credit. --Katie