Call for testers - Anycast IPs!

LES,

We’re launching a new product line soon and we’re looking for testers. We’re offering Anycast IP(s) announced in a variety of locations with GRE routes back to your closest point of origin.

The IPs will be announced in these locations: Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, New York, Texas, LA, Miami, Ashburn, England (London), Germany, Netherlands, Romania, Spain, Singapore, Australia.

Here’s what we’re asking:

Try the service, give us honest feedback to help improve the service offering and overall quality, including network.

The sign-up: please contact via direct message here or contact via https://manage.geeksolutions.ca/contact.php.

The expected entry price point will be US$30/month for leased routed Anycast IPs with up to 5 origin routes (unique backends we shuffle data to). This will include 2TB of bandwidth (additional TBs available — pricing TBD).

We intend to offer BYOIP Anycast GRE down the line with identical features as rented routed IPs (we’ll open a thread for this as well when ready).

Thanked by (3)Harambe Edmond umi

Comments

• I like what I’m seeing! Anything specific that needs to be sent to you?

Also, would it offer DDoS protection and can we connect out of the GRE tunnel (assuming yes)?

• Awesome! I'd like to test it as I'm already testing the similar system for dns purposes.

• I don't quite understand this product: do you have VPS or dedicated servers available at the endpoints?

I'm glad to see more anycast products at the relatively low end, though this is outside my price range for personal projects.

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

@willie said:
    I don't quite understand this product: do you have VPS or dedicated servers available at the endpoints?

I'm glad to see more anycast products at the relatively low end, though this is outside my price range for personal projects.

Say you have five servers around the world. You can use their Anycast IP to route connections to the one that is geographically closest. So no VPS/Dedicated products from them.

At least that's my interpretation

Thanked by (1)wdmg
  • williewillie OG
    edited June 2020

Say you have five servers around the world. You can use their Anycast IP to route connections to the one that is geographically closest. So no VPS/Dedicated products from them.

Thanks. It seems unfortunate if the last hop (from the anycast network to the destination server) has to be over the internet. It would be more attractive if that hop could be over a LAN, which means the GRE endpoint and the destination server are in the same place.

I guess having a VPS in the same DC is the next best thing. Wdmg, can you say which DC's your endpoints are in, and whether any LES providers offer servers in them?

• @lentro said:

@willie said:
    I don't quite understand this product: do you have VPS or dedicated servers available at the endpoints?

At least that's my interpretation

This is effectively it. While we do have presence in the POPs, some aren’t available to be direct with us.

For example, we don’t plan to offer VMs/Dedicateds in Australia, but we do in Toronto.

If the GRE tunnel is an issue, we’re open to PNIs or L2TP.

• @umi said:
    Awesome! I'd like to test it as I'm already testing the similar system for dns purposes.

Feel free to reach out via form or in message

Thanked by (1)umi
  • @Edmond said:
    I like what I’m seeing! Anything specific that needs to be sent to you?

Also, would it offer DDoS protection and can we connect out of the GRE tunnel (assuming yes)?

DDoS protection is available upon request, and subject to additional fee (up to 300Gbps mitigation).

• williewillie OG
    edited June 2020

@wdmg said: For example, we don’t plan to offer VMs/Dedicateds in Australia, but we do in Toronto. If the GRE tunnel is an issue, we’re open to PNIs or L2TP.

The issue isn't the tunnel protocol itself, but rather the introduction of more unreliability and network latency by having to route from the anycast endpoint to the destination server over additional internet hops. That's why my hope is to have the destination server in the same physical data center as the anycast endpoint, connected by uncongested LAN. Will you have VPS/dedi in any more locations than Toronto? US and Europe would be the main ones of interest for me. AU or maybe Singapore would also be nice for someday. Anyway it's important to have more than one location since part of the desire for anycast is to implement high availability, but I guess it is ok to use the internet in fallback cases.

This is purely hypothetical for me right now, i.e. I don't currently have a requirement that can use it, but I want to follow what is happening since it's an important thing to know about if/when something comes up that wants it. Thanks.

• @willie said:

@wdmg said: For example, we don’t plan to offer VMs/Dedicateds in Australia, but we do in Toronto. If the GRE tunnel is an issue, we’re open to PNIs or L2TP.

The issue isn't the tunnel protocol itself, but rather the introduction of more unreliability and network latency by having to route from the anycast endpoint to the destination server over additional internet hops. That's why my hope is to have the destination server in the same physical data center as the anycast endpoint, connected by uncongested LAN. Will you have VPS/dedi in any more locations than Toronto? US and Europe would be the main ones of interest for me. AU or maybe Singapore would also be nice for someday. Anyway it's important to have more than one location since part of the desire for anycast is to implement high availability, but I guess it is ok to use the internet in fallback cases.

This is purely hypothetical for me right now, i.e. I don't currently have a requirement that can use it, but I want to follow what is happening since it's an important thing to know about if/when something comes up that wants it. Thanks.

Right now we only do some nodes with VMs, we do however offer Kubernetes on our edge, you can deploy small workloads (resource restrictions apply).

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

I have often considered this for a NAT container service behind an anycast IP however... as much as I would like to do it for the life of me I can't think of a single good reason or advantage to customers by doing it haha

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• williewillie OG
    edited June 2020

Right now we only do some nodes with VMs, we do however offer Kubernetes on our edge, you can deploy small workloads (resource restrictions apply).

This sounds great! Basically as good as a vps for most purposes, I should think. I imagine using it to host a small distributed database segment, serve some static files, that sort of thing. Thanks!

Thanked by (1)wdmg
  • @wdmg said: We intend to offer BYOIP Anycast GRE down the line with identical features as rented routed IPs (we’ll open a thread for this as well when ready).

Does that mean the person has to bring a /24 (ipv4) or /48(?)(v6) since that's the smallest routable block? Or am I misunderstanding what the product does. Thanks.

• @willie said:

@wdmg said: We intend to offer BYOIP Anycast GRE down the line with identical features as rented routed IPs (we’ll open a thread for this as well when ready).

Does that mean the person has to bring a /24 (ipv4) or /48(?)(v6) since that's the smallest routable block? Or am I misunderstanding what the product does. Thanks.

I presumed it to be as you described too, otherwise you’d have to be in one of their PA routed subnets.

• @willie said:

@wdmg said: We intend to offer BYOIP Anycast GRE down the line with identical features as rented routed IPs (we’ll open a thread for this as well when ready).

Anycast IPs can be leased from us on an individual IP basis, however, for those with existing IP blocks, they can bring them and we can announce them for them.

• Thanks, yeah, I'm not all that conversant with this stuff and wanted to confirm that "bring your own IP" actually meant bring a routable block. How long is this beta happening? If you'll have me, I might be interested in giving it a try as a newbie, to figure out how to use it and write something up about it afterwards. It would just be a test setup and wouldn't handle any real amount of traffic.