List of free SMTP relay providers for transactional emails

edited May 2020 in Free Offers and Stuff

Below is a list of SMTP relay providers that offer free plans for transactional emails. Perfect for sending logfiles to your email without having to setup a SMTP server ;)

I made this list for personal use but might as well share it here. Feel free to list your additions in the comments.

Provider Free emails/mo DC Location(s) Remarks
SMTP2GO.com 1000 USA & EU Outstanding support, new way of managing SPF & DKIM records using CNAME.
MailJet.com 6000 EU/France Horrible support, can't even fend off phising attacks sent using their own infrastructure.
SendGrid.com 3000 USA
Pepipost.com 3000 ? No 2FA login. What is this, amateur hour?
SendInBlue.com 3000 EU
Mailgun.com 1250 USA/EU Use Flex plan and stay below $1, see mikho's post below

Comments

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

If I remember correct, Mailgun changed it back to FREE. If you manage to keep the invoice to less than $0.80.

That is ~1000 emails if I remember the email correct.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• @mikho said:
    If I remember correct, Mailgun changed it back to FREE. If you manage to keep the invoice to less than $0.80.

Thanks for the addition! It looks like the Mailgun Free plan has been discontinued and replaced by the Flex plan:
    https://help.mailgun.com/hc/en-us/articles/203068914-What-Are-the-Differences-Between-the-Free-and-Flex-Plans-

So I'm not quite sure if it's really free, even if you stay under $0.80

@Freek said:

@mikho said:

Thanks for the addition! It looks like the Mailgun Free plan has been discontinued and replaced by the Flex plan:
    https://help.mailgun.com/hc/en-us/articles/203068914-What-Are-the-Differences-Between-the-Free-and-Flex-Plans-

So I'm not quite sure if it's really free, even if you stay under $0.80

I'm on the Flex plan and I got this email on May 21st - (found the mail now)

Hey there,
    Do you like getting invoices for $0.04? We don't like sending them! Starting June 2020, we will no longer charge for amounts less than $1 as we are instituting a $1 minimum fee instead. Now when you send 1,251 or more messages (equivalent to $1 worth at $0.80 per 1,000 emails), we start billing.

What does this mean for you?

If you send fewer than 1,250 email messages in a given month, you will receive an invoice for $0, and there will be no balance rolled over. If you send more than 1,250 emails, you will be charged $1.00 at 1,251 messages (consistent with your plan’s $0.80 per thousand email price rate), and $0.80 per thousand for anything beyond 1,251.

Thanked by (2)Freek NanoG6

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

this is a good reminder to drop mandrillapp/mailchimp, I have been planning it for ages but never got around to it, they are a pile of turd these days.

Thanked by (2)Freek benj0x

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @mikho Thanks, added to the list :)

Guess I spoke to soon.

Got this note on my invoice.

Note: invoices of less than $0.50 will not be charged and will continue to aggregate until a balance of $0.50 or greater is achieved.

Thanked by (1)Unixfy

• Thanked by (1)angstrom

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• @Freek said: SPF & DKIM records using CNAME

This is also the case with SendGrid.

• Yeah I've been using https://www.mailjet.com/pricing/ for a bit and not too happy with their support. Their replies are mostly "well sorry, you're screwed" but it works good enough for now.

Both these threads should be combined into a wiki page. Easier to maintain.
    @AnthonySmith : will there be a wiki section on LES? Perhaps name it LESW(hat)?

• flipsflips OG
    edited June 2020

@Nyr said:
    [...] SendGrid.

My impression from mxroute support chat reports, are that quite a few emails sent using sendgrid free are sent using IP's blocked by SpamCop ... (Or: The free plan are used for a lot of spamming, hence you will be blocked some of the time ...)

@mikho said:

Both these threads should be combined into a wiki page. Easier to maintain.
    @AnthonySmith : will there be a wiki section on LES? Perhaps name it LESW(hat)?

yeah good plan, will take a look into that tomorrow.

• @flips said: My impression from mxroute support chat reports, are that quite a few emails sent using sendgrid free are sent using IP's blocked by SpamCop ...

This is a problem with many others too (Postmark comes to mind).

Thanked by (1)flips
  • Aah, that's a very nice list. Best indeed to incorporate the two into a Wiki as mentioned, as I can't update my initial post anymore :)

@mikho said:
    Guess I spoke to soon.

Got this note on my invoice.

Note: invoices of less than $0.50 will not be charged and will continue to aggregate until a balance of $0.50 or greater is achieved.

The CEO of Mailgun wants your pennies! ;)

Thanked by (1)mikho
  • Intelpentium0Intelpentium0 Hosting Provider

Bookmarked..

✓✓Only shared hosting-both DA and cPanel Still in 2006

hmm well-reminded thanks for the bump, I was enthusiastic about getting some sort of lists/wiki up for this sort of thing before I got sick and forgot.

• Alibaba Cloud has free email delivery for 200 emails free per day.

SMTP service address (China East 1): smtpdm.aliyun.com

SMTP service address (Singapore): smtpdm-ap-southeast-1.aliyun.com

SMTP service address (Sydney): smtpdm-ap-southeast-2.aliyun.com

SMTP port: 25, 80, 465 (SSL encrypted).

I use it for my own blog and the latency is pretty low to my gmail when using SG address.

• Unfortunately the SMTP are unaccesable from IPv6 only server..

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.