Intel versus AMD 2019 processor security roundup

Just read this recently written article after looking out for a comprehensive and easy-to-read article covering the differences between the two companies in terms of processor vulnerabilities: https://www.tomshardware.com/features/intel-amd-most-secure-processors

I wouldn't say AMD is the winner because having fewer vulnerabilities is not a win to me, but it does seem like AMD is relatively much safer in the context of VPS hosting for the foreseeable future.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

Comments

• AMD delivers good even very good performance for price.
    Even if AMD would suffer from security issues, loosing % would not hurt as much if you buy a brand new overpriced intel cpu's.

SO even if, I would not consider buying any Intel stuff atm.

Thanked by (1)poisson
  • @Neoon said:
    AMD delivers good even very good performance for price.
    Even if AMD would suffer from security issues, loosing % would not hurt as much if you buy a brand new overpriced intel cpu's.

SO even if, I would not consider buying any Intel stuff atm.

In full agreement. I was just curious about how big the difference is between the two security wise because I've only heard news about Intel's vulnerabilities from time to time and it didn't feel like the picture was complete but I think this piece is probably quite a good perspective on the situation between the two in terms of security, and looks like going AMD now is like the obvious choice for the hosting industry, although Intel probably is still useable for dedis and personal computers if they price themselves appropriately.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• vpsgeekvpsgeek OG
    edited November 2019

AMD will replace Intel in hosting industry but it's not going to happen overnight. It is going to take years. Providers who own their hardware & colocate with some DC would go under huge losses if they try to do so immediately so it will be a slow process. Those who use leased hardware can move but there are not a lot of datacenters who offer enough range of AMD dedicated servers currently

Recommend: SmallWeb|BuyVM|Linode|RamNode