VPN/Proxy, Fraudlabs, and Netflix

I signed up for a web hosting package today and Fraudlabs caught me using a proxy/VPN. I was hotspotting off my phone and while I turned off my laptop VPN, I left it on for my phone, so it was a legit catch. It was marked as fraud and order canceled.

My question is that if Fraudlabs can catch me on a VPN (not my first time forgetting to turn off my VPN) how does that same VPN fool/bypass detection on Netflix and other geo-restricted sites? Is it simply a cat and mouse game for the VPNs to change out IPs often after detection?

Comments

• What's the phone? Is it an Android?
    On mine even if I have set VPN on, hotspot traffic does not go through it. So I use a VPN on my laptop to access Netflix.
    Just curious. ?

More to the question.
    I think companies use different methods to catch VPN. For Netflix it is cat and mouse game, I think. I think Netflix does not really care if I am in a VPN as long as the IP is not a listed one on there list.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited July 2020

With Netflix providers use different methods. With Windscribe you can now use any server to use Flix US iirc. Even a german one. This means the server IP you are seeing is not the one that unblocks flix. Instead, it's probably some secret internall routed ipv6 tunnel through which your request gets sent.

• My guess is that Netflix doesn't really care if you use VPN or not, so they probable does not have all the latest bells and whistles when it comes to detecting it.
    The restriction on content in different parts of the world comes from the big moviecompanies, not Netflix. Netflix just obeys to be able to stream the content but they only do what they really have to do, nothing more.

Fraudlabs etc is used by providers that actually stand at risk of losing money if they cant track the users, so of course they have more efficient methods of protecting themselves.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Thanks all. I would have assumed that Netflix being such a large company would be at the front of the pack blocking VPNs, but I suppose that if they just care about where the IP loves it might not be as strict.

And I was using an iPhone.

• @rcy026 said: My guess is that Netflix doesn't really care if you use VPN or not, so they probable does not have all the latest bells and whistles when it comes to detecting it.

That is straight up not true. That used to be the case years ago, but it is not anymore. That's why VPN providers usually have specific servers for Netflix and no all providers can unblock it.