Proxmox Backup Server Beta 1 Released

edited July 2020 in General

Proxmox Backup Server is an enterprise-class client-server backup software that backups virtual
machines, containers, and physical hosts. It is specially optimized for the Proxmox Virtual Environment
platform and allows you to backup your data securely, even between remote sites, providing
easy management with a web-based user interface.

Proxmox Backup Server supports deduplication, compression, and authenticated encryption (AE).
Using Rust as implementation language guarantees high performance, low resource usage, and a
safe, high quality code base.

It features strong encryption done on the client side. Thus, it’s possible to backup data to not fully
trusted targets.

https://www.proxmox.com/en/news/press-releases/proxmox-backup-server-beta-version

Thanked by (3)AlwaysSkint bdl vimalware

Comments

• Just in time for @AnthonySmith's new storage plans :)

Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • edited July 2020

Currently wading through the PDF..
    This could be a game changer and real competitor to some of the major backup packages eg. R1Soft
    Got a low-end dedi that's due for cancellation soon, so time to give this a whirl methinks. Thanks @aaronstuder

Thanked by (1)AaronSS

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• Lately I've been shopping for backup software and wasn't able to find what I was looking for, but this looks like it could be it. Now I just need to find a server to run it...

• @Unixfy said:
    Lately I've been shopping for backup software and wasn't able to find what I was looking for, but this looks like it could be it. Now I just need to find a server to run it...

I heard @AnthonySmith has some deals running :)

Thanked by (2)InceptionHosting Unixfy
  • InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@aaronstuder said:

@Unixfy said:
    Lately I've been shopping for backup software and wasn't able to find what I was looking for, but this looks like it could be it. Now I just need to find a server to run it...

yeah good point, someone post about them on the proxmox forum and I will give a free Pepsi for every referred sign up :)

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• I am missing the min. hardware requirement.
    Does anyone happen to know?

• @AnthonySmith said:

@aaronstuder said:

@Unixfy said:

yeah good point, someone post about them on the proxmox forum and I will give a free Pepsi for every referred sign up :)

No coke? Racist.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@seriesn said: No coke? Racist.

disgusting!

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• UnixfyUnixfy OG
    edited July 2020

@ggkee said: I am missing the min. hardware requirement.

Probably will run fine on any small VPS, even 256MB/512MB. I have a test instance on AWS lightsail 1GB instance right now and only around 80MB RAM usage.

Edit: Also note that you WILL need multiple disks in the system for it to work correctly. From my testing, it seems to be impossible to use the root disk (mounted at /) as a backup destination; the backup destination must be a cleanly formatted disk. Just something to be aware of. Maybe it's different if you install using the ISO - I just installed the system on top of Debian.
    Finally, at this time, there isn't any option to automatically upload backups to cloud storage. This was a feature I was looking for and I'm sure it'll be present at some time in the future.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • @Unixfy said:

@ggkee said: I am missing the min. hardware requirement.

Probably will run fine on any small VPS, even 256MB/512MB. I have a test instance on AWS lightsail 1GB instance right now and only around 80MB RAM usage.

Edit: Also note that you WILL need multiple disks in the system for it to work correctly. From my testing, it seems to be impossible to use the root disk (mounted at /) as a backup destination; the backup destination must be a cleanly formatted disk. Just something to be aware of. Maybe it's different if you install using the ISO - I just installed the system on top of Debian.
    Finally, at this time, there isn't any option to automatically upload backups to cloud storage. This was a feature I was looking for and I'm sure it'll be present at some time in the future.

Good note. The cloud backup can be easily managed via rclone but surprised they didn't just integrate rclone themselves into it. If even as a plugin of sorts

• edited July 2020

I'm stuck at:

/usr/sbin/proxmox-backup-manager datastore show store1
    ┌────────────────┬────────────────┐
    │ Name │ Value │
    ╞════════════════╪════════════════╡
    │ name │ store1 │
    ├────────────────┼────────────────┤
    │ path │ /backup/store1 │
    │ gc-schedule │ 03:45 │
    │ keep-last │ 14 │
    │ prune-schedule │ daily │
    └────────────────┴────────────────┘

/usr/sbin/proxmox-backup-manager acl update /backup/store1 DatastoreAdmin --userid me@pbs
    Error: invalid acl path '/backup/store1'.

I've also tried '/backup' and 'store1'.

• @Unixfy said:
    the backup destination must be a cleanly formatted disk.

I suppose I could try this out on my wishosting CA storage kvm tomo . It's currently pending a full re-install.
    (Wishosting clients can create several virtual disks as there is quota in Open Nebula panel.)

Not sure if the transfer speeds from my EU proxmox to BHS will be great. I'll be happy if it holds at about 200mbit.

• edited July 2020

@Unixfy said: the backup destination must be a cleanly formatted disk

I missed that part! Perhaps a (LVM) partition is sufficient - the documentation does hint at some complications with that, however.

• @AlwaysSkint said: I missed that part! Perhaps a (LVM) partition is sufficient - the documentation does hint at some complications with that, however.

Yeah, separate partitions seems to work alright for me. Not sure about LVM.

• New ext4 partition mounted as /backup, with datastore 'store1'.
    Still get "Error: invalid acl path '/backup/store1' - any ideas, fellas?

@Unifxy Can you check against the syntax that you used,assuming that you're not just using root@pam?

• @AlwaysSkint said: @Unifxy Can you check against the syntax that you used,assuming that you're not just using root@pam?

Worked perfectly for me - I just went to Disks > Directory > Create and chose my second (large) partition. Keep "Create Datastore" checked.
    The datastore shows up in the Datastores view correctly:

Your problem might be that you formatted the disk outside of the PBS. You need to use Disks > Directory/ZFS view to format the disk.

• I've been using the CLI: the test server doesn't have Proxmox VE on it. Reckon I must be missing something - it's an age thing. :-s

• @AlwaysSkint said: I've been using the CLI: the test server doesn't have Proxmox VE on it. Reckon I must be missing something - it's an age thing. :-s

You don't need Proxmox VE. When you install the proxmox-backup-server package, it will automatically install the Proxmox BS GUI which you can access on port 8007.

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint vimalware
  • edited July 2020

Ahhh, how the heck did I miss that? (Senile)
    Looks like I found a bug: adding the permissions in Configuration still produces the path error. Adding permissions from the datastore itself works fine. :)
    Thanks @Unixfy !

Thanked by (1)Unixfy

• @AlwaysSkint said: Looks like I found a bug: adding the permissions in Configuration still produces the path error. Adding permissions from the datastore itself works fine.

Glad you figured it out. Be sure to report the bug ;)

• SagnikSSagnikS Hosting ProviderOG

I'm a bit confused, will it support differential backups for VMs too? :open_mouth:

• @Unixfy said: Probably will run fine on any small VPS, even 256MB/512MB.

Sadly, it requires 1GB :-/

Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • @SagnikS said:
    I'm a bit confused, will it support differential backups for VMs too? :open_mouth:

Yes! :)

Thanked by (2)SagnikS vimalware
  • edited July 2020

@Unixfy @aaronstuder
    Re. memory usage; don't be dissuaded too quickly:
    total used free shared buff/cache available
    Mem: 3.8Gi 117Mi 2.6Gi 39Mi 1.1Gi 3.4Gi

I haven't actually done backups yet, so above is in idle mode. YMMV.

Thanked by (1)vimalware

• Backup now running (along with CSF) and still no significant loading on RAM: ~160M used.

Thanked by (1)vimalware