All Things WordPress Discussions

Comments

• Intelpentium0Intelpentium0 Hosting Provider

@bikegremlin said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

@dedipromo said:
    One thing regarding WP security that I haven't seen anyone mentioning is to cache search results. 100 concurrent GET queries of https://yourdomain.com/?s=somerandomwords will instantly take down almost 95%+ of Wordpress websites, if search results are not cached. Implementing search result caching with WP alone might be difficult; it's easier to set up with a reverse proxy instance in front of WP and then set up per-regex or per-url-structure cache rules.

Yes. True. Sites also get impacted by related posts and tags too. If you click on a tag and if it has to search from thousands of posts, the limits will get easily touched. Last night, Hostmants suspended my client account for hitting limits regularly. It was a 3gb ram reseler. But even without utilising the ram, site hits the resource limits and they obviously suspended. I had to run to another cPanel server overnight with the backup they provided.
    Googl Analytics shows less than 5000 page views yesterday. It had 9000 views 2-3 days ago. Looking for a generous reseler provider who can accommodate.

What kind of caching do you use on that website?

Used LScache first. But it didn't help. Site was slow..Later tried super cache. Got suspended for hitting limits. Presently using wp fastest cache (the one with cheetah) and it's best one for speed. Front end Users are not complaining about the loading time after activation. Even i have bunnycdn for that domain. Still it hits CPU limit. Is hostmants CPU 1 vcore for reselers?
    Currently i moved to another shared with 2vcore 2gb ram host. Just want to see resource usage tab in cpanel after a day or two.

✓✓Only shared hosting-both DA and cPanel Still in 2006

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Intelpentium0 said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

@dedipromo said:
    One thing regarding WP security that I haven't seen anyone mentioning is to cache search results. 100 concurrent GET queries of https://yourdomain.com/?s=somerandomwords will instantly take down almost 95%+ of Wordpress websites, if search results are not cached. Implementing search result caching with WP alone might be difficult; it's easier to set up with a reverse proxy instance in front of WP and then set up per-regex or per-url-structure cache rules.

Yes. True. Sites also get impacted by related posts and tags too. If you click on a tag and if it has to search from thousands of posts, the limits will get easily touched. Last night, Hostmants suspended my client account for hitting limits regularly. It was a 3gb ram reseler. But even without utilising the ram, site hits the resource limits and they obviously suspended. I had to run to another cPanel server overnight with the backup they provided.
    Googl Analytics shows less than 5000 page views yesterday. It had 9000 views 2-3 days ago. Looking for a generous reseler provider who can accommodate.

Used LScache first. But it didn't help. Site was slow..Later tried super cache. Got suspended for hitting limits. Presently using wp fastest cache (the one with cheetah) and it's best one for speed. Front end Users are not complaining about the loading time after activation. Even i have bunnycdn for that domain. Still it hits CPU limit. Is hostmants CPU 1 vcore for reselers?
    Currently i moved to another shared with 2vcore 2gb ram host. Just want to see resource usage tab in cpanel after a day or two.

LScache as LiteSpeed?
    In my testing, that one is far better than the others you mentioned - at least on LiteSpeed servers.
    Make sure your site is properly optimized and caching is properly configured.

What was the resource bottleneck? With WordPress, at least on shared/reseller hosting environments, it's usually CPU (at least in my experience so far), while I/O usage alerts usually mean poor optimization, or caching is the problem (either due to website design, or server configuration - in which case it is provider's "fault").

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

@bikegremlin said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

@dedipromo said:

LScache as LiteSpeed?
    In my testing, that one is far better than the others you mentioned - at least on LiteSpeed servers.

What was the resource bottleneck? With WordPress, at least on shared/reseller hosting environments, it's usually CPU (at least in my experience so far), while I/O usage alerts usually mean poor optimization, or caching is the problem (either due to website design, or server configuration - in which case it is provider's "fault").

Yes. Litespeed cache.
    'Your site had been limited within the past 24 hours
    CPU resources were limited for your site"

It's showing green line graph under cpuf table

edited July 2020

@Intelpentium0 said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

@dedipromo said:

LScache as LiteSpeed?

Yes. Litespeed cache.

You can see what the bottlenck was:

• in the hosting control panel find the option "Resource Usage" (in cPanel it's under the "METRICS" tab)
    • click "details" if it is shown (covering other options)
    • click on Timeframe to expand it, and choose the range you wish to see

Then it will show graphs of the used resources, so you can see which ones get loaded most. Something like this:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/15268/website-testing-methods/#2

I made a series of posts on (WordPress) website optimization, starting from measuring what exactly is slow/wrong:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/5526/optimization-01-measuring/

P.S. If your control panel gives the "limited in the past 24 hours" note from time to time, but your website runs nicely, and doesn't go down, that's fine. For example, if you edit a category, on a large site, on the live version, it might make a lot of load while it changes everything in the database, but it shouldn't make the site go off-line.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

@bikegremlin said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

@dedipromo said:

LScache as LiteSpeed?

Yes. Litespeed cache.

• in the hosting control panel find the option "Resource Usage" (in cPanel it's under the "METRICS" tab)

Then it will show graphs of the used resources, so you can see which ones get loaded most. Something like this:

I made a series of posts on (WordPress) website optimization, starting from measuring what exactly is slow/wrong:

P.S. If your control panel gives the "limited in the past 24 hours" note from time to time, but your website runs nicely, and doesn't go down, that's fine. For example, if you edit a category, on a large site, on the live version, it might make a lot of load while it changes everything in the database, but it shouldn't make the site go off-line.

Yes. I have already been in Resource usage section inside cpanel. From there only I got the message saying "your site had been limited within last 24 hours". Even though the site is working fine, a host can suspend your site and terminate on such instances. They will say the reason that they have warned you several times.

edited July 2020

@Intelpentium0 said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

@dedipromo said:

LScache as LiteSpeed?

Yes. Litespeed cache.

Yes. I have already been in Resource usage section inside cpanel. From there only I got the message saying "your site had been limited within last 24 hours". Even though the site is working fine, a host can suspend your site and terminate on such instances. They will say the reason that they have warned you several times.

Depends on the host. Those who use LiteSpeed, let it limit resources so they can't be abused.
    Even then, some impose a limit of how much you can use a certain percentage of the resources, even if you don't hit the limit, some don't.

cPanel should give you information on which resources were limited (one, or more).

Just now I can see

*CPU resources were limited for your site
    *You have reached entry processes (number of simultaneously running php and cgi scripts, as well as cron jobs and shell sessions) limit 3298 times

• @Intelpentium0 said:
    Just now I can see

*You have reached entry processes (number of simultaneously running php and cgi scripts, as well as cron jobs and shell sessions) limit 3298 times

You said earlier that you had moved to another shared hosting provider and increased the specs to 2 vCore and 2GB RAM but from this post the RAM and CPU are not the issue it is the entry processes. What is the entry processes limit for your account?

@LeonDynamic said:

@Intelpentium0 said:
    Just now I can see

You said earlier that you had moved to another shared hosting provider and increased the specs to 2 vCore and 2GB RAM but from this post the RAM and CPU are not the issue it is the entry processes. What is the entry processes limit for your account?

30 is the EP limit at present.
    Previously it was 1core & 3GB Ram and got it suspended. Now it's 2 core 2 GB Ram.

• @Intelpentium0 said:

Previously it was 1core & 3GB Ram and got it suspended. Now it's 2 core 2 GB Ram.

This means the time has come to move from Shared to VPS. Which are these hosts, previous and current?

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited July 2020

Divi added an official market place for third party extensions :) Really happy to see that as I was always hestiant to buy from random third party but shopping on a ElegantThemes controlled Marketplace sounds good :slight_smile:

https://www.elegantthemes.com/marketplace/

You can also shop with confidence because:

What is the refund policy for Marketplace purchases?

We offer a no-questions-asked 30 day refund policy. If you are not happy with a product you purchased, you can request a refund within 30 days of your purchase. Once your payment has been refunded, it can take up to a week to be reflected on your banking balance. After 30 days, purchases are no longer eligible for refunds. How long does it take for products to be reviewed?
    It typically takes ~1 week for a product to be reviewed. This includes design review, QA testing and a line by line code audit by our development team. After review, your product will either by accepted or declined. If your product is accepted, it will become available for purchase in the marketplace immediately. If your product is declined, you will receive an email with the reasons why and you will be invited to submit your product for review again once you have fixed the problems.

Really happy to see this :)

Thanked by (1)chocolateshirt
  • @Intelpentium0 said:

@LeonDynamic said:

@Intelpentium0 said:
    Just now I can see

It might be time that you look towards moving to a VPS or find a host with higher EP limits. Out of interest who are the hosts?

Guys, have a look at the newly published "Assistant" Plugin by the Beaverbuilder Team. It's totally free right now and the core features are said to remain free. Looks super slick and probably eases the workflow a lot. Beaverbuilder is NOT required for this.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/assistant/

@LeonDynamic said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

@LeonDynamic said:

@Intelpentium0 said:
    Just now I can see

It might be time that you look towards moving to a VPS or find a host with higher EP limits. Out of interest who are the hosts?

Previous one was H0STMANTIS under my reseler account..HM is very stable and I was forced to move due to hitting limits. My other sites are still running fine with HM.

The new one is from India and they are not in LET or LES. I have already opened a ticket about the resource usage and they asked simply to optimize.

@Intelpentium0 said:

@LeonDynamic said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

@LeonDynamic said:

@Intelpentium0 said:
    Just now I can see

Previous one was H0STMANTIS under my reseler account..HM is very stable and I was forced to move due to hitting limits. My other sites are still running fine with HM.

The new one is from India and they are not in LET or LES. I have already opened a ticket about the resource usage and they asked simply to optimize.

In my Shared Hosting Comparison Chart (see signature) @MikeA from ExtraVM offers shared hosting with a whopping 200EP. @MikePT offers 50EP. That's two recommended providers right there. No need to tingle with a VPS when shared hosting can be so much more convenient.
    Just grab yourself a Mike :)

I host all my sites on (premium) shared hosting.

Thanked by (2)vimalware Intelpentium0
  • edited July 2020

@Intelpentium0 said:

OK. The limit you are hitting is EP (Entry Processes) and not CPU or RAM. Most shared hosting providers will limit to around 20 or 30, some offer higher EP account limits. Rather than keep moving around try and find the cause of the high EP usage first.

Do you use Wordpress? What theme/plugins are you using? High EP is often caused by Ajax or some other request consistently refreshing the page in the background which in most cases is caused by the theme or a plugin.

@LeonDynamic said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

OK. The limit you are hitting is EP (Entry Processes) and not CPU or RAM. Most shared hosting providers will limit to around 20 or 30, some offer higher EP account limits. Rather than keep moving around try and find the cause of the high EP usage first.

Do you use Wordpress? What theme/plugins are you using? High EP is often caused by Ajax or some other request consistently refreshing the page in the background which in most cases is caused by the theme or a plugin.

I second this. At leats that is the way I do things: first doing "homework" and figuring out if a website can be optimized better.
    Dishing out more money for a more expensive server is easy, but think it makes more sense to try and optimize the site, so it doesn't waste resources. For both money saving, and for stability (and security) reasons.

Thanked by (1)Intelpentium0

@LeonDynamic said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

Yes. Today I installed Heartbeat plugin. Changed to more than 120 seconds from the default 15.
    Will see whether the ajax part is getting solved or not. Postie plugin is used as the client posts news by mail.
    I have Lifetime plan from Mikept. Will try to move there and find better EP limit. I think MikeA offers in Canada which will not be great for Indian users. (Anyhow I use bunnycdn which will make it much better)

Thanked by (2)Ympker LeonDynamic

• WP multisite..

Subdomains or subfolders?

• @Intelpentium0 said:
    Yes. Today I installed Heartbeat plugin. Changed to more than 120 seconds from the default 15.
    Will see whether the ajax part is getting solved or not. Postie plugin is used as the client posts news by mail.
    I have Lifetime plan from Mikept. Will try to move there and find better EP limit. I think MikeA offers in Canada which will not be great for Indian users. (Anyhow I use bunnycdn which will make it much better)

Hey @Intelpentium0 how are getting with your websites EP requests?

• @vyas said:

WP multisite..

Definitely go for subdomain..

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• @vyas said:

WP multisite..

Interesting question. I always use subdomains myself.

• @vyas said: WP multisite..

Subdomains!

• vyasvyas OG
    edited August 2020

Kinsta had a long-ish blog justifying subdirectories, instead almost ended up recommending the opposite. In the meantime, SEO wise,

I am tinkering around with a subfolder Multisite install, I find it to my taste. But early times yet, more rigorous testing required.

• visualwebtechnovisualwebtechno Hosting ProviderOG

I think WP-Rocket cache plugin is good

Thanked by (1)Ympker

I'd say that subdomains offer more flexibility.
    And more (logical) separation - if that is needed.

That is, with subdomains, you can relatively easily set up: uk.example.com on a server in the UK, and de.example.com on a server in Germany.

For the "logical" part - you could make different topics be hosted on completely different (sub)domains.
    Like blog.example.com, forum.example.com etc.

That's for fairly different things. On the other hand, you could then make:
    blog.example.com/en, and blog.example.com/de - for different language versions of the same content.

But I think that would be trickier to configure hosting on two different servers.

• @bikegremlin said:
    I'd say that subdomains offer more flexibility.
    And more (logical) separation - if that is needed.

That is, with subdomains, you can relatively easily set up: uk.example.com on a server in the UK, and de.example.com on a server in Germany.

For the "logical" part - you could make different topics be hosted on completely different (sub)domains.
    Like blog.example.com, forum.example.com etc.

That's for fairly different things. On the other hand, you could then make:
    blog.example.com/en, and blog.example.com/de - for different language versions of the same content.

But I think that would be trickier to configure hosting on two different servers.

Makes sense...

I tried Subdomains on different servers/locations (main site + blog is WP on VPs/Gridpane other Subdomains non WP / shared hosting.)
    But Subdomains on different servers/WP on each? Nope.

I suppose possible when DB is common?

edited August 2020

@vyas said:

WP multisite..

I always go for subdomains but never know, really.

@vyas by the way, shortpixel is awesome :)

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • Subdomain always. Being able to use dns to control it is much more powerful and flexibly be sub directories which would need .htaccess or other work around to figure how to redirect it later

Thanked by (1)Ympker